“Disappointed Yet Again”

Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Cazy, West Virginia, United States
“Disappointed Yet Again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We were in Morgantown on business and stayed at the Waterfront Place Hotel again. We have had both good and bad stays here in the past. This one was not good. The first issue we encountered was the parking. We were going to valet, but couldn't get close to the front door due to the vehicles illegally parked near the entrance. Imagine our dismay when we had to park on the far end of the conference center and walk back to the hotel. Our room was a large corner king room. We were surprised to find the carpet stained and dirty and the furniture quite dusty. For example, the base of the floor lamp was completely covered in dust. The closet door was not on the track and was very hard to open. The furnishings were sparse. The room had a small table and three chairs, but no couch or comfortable seating for relaxing or watching TV. It seems this hotel is a study in inconsistency.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Melanie H
Ryan A, Sales Manager at Waterfront Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Melanie H.,
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stays with us. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to take a moment and write a review. Guests have multiple choices when staying in Morgantown, and we are glad you chose the Waterfront Place Hotel.

On behalf of the hotel, please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced with your guest room and valet parking. The guest room upkeep issues you mentioned will be addressed with our housekeeping department and remedied at once.

We are hopeful you will choose the Waterfront when you next visit Morgantown.

Ryan Alexander – Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

This was my third visit to the Waterfront Place, and I really like this property. Everything about the hotel says "quality." The attached conference center is a great location for meetings, although I'm told it has become really expensive (not my problem..). For businesses who want to impress potential clients and pamper their employees, the facility is ideal! Unfortunately for hotel guests, the new parking policy is inconvenient. Guests who self-park are directed to use the garage that is on the opposite side of the convention center, meaning that to access my car, I would be walking the entire length of the facility. I was told that the nearer garage was now being used for valet parking-- which I will take advantage of on my next visit.

Room Tip: Go for the river view--it's phenomenal. Higher floors have nice views, but be prepared to wait...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank 20runner
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Waterfront Place Hotel experience. We sincerely appreciate your excellent remarks, and we value your continued patronage.

While the new parking arrangement is a bit farther, we feel it provides a better option since it allows our guests to avoid poor weather conditions when traveling to and from their vehicles.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you in the future.

Ryan Alexander – Sales Manager
Beckley, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

My son is a graduate of WVU. Whenever I visited him, I stayed at the Waterfront Place. I consistently went there for four years. I was careful to avoid football weekends, when the cost would be prohibitive. I have been all over the world, and the Waterfront is as nice as any fancy four star hotel. I give it a 5th star because I only had to pay on average $130 per night to stay there. They have all the amenities--room service, valet parking and all the perks that a spoiled brat like myself love. I hope that my son will go back to WVU for some more education so I can go to the Waterfront. I really don't know why people are willing to stay in crappy hotels when they can spend the same money and stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary M
Ryan A, Marketing Specialist at Waterfront Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Mary M,
We greatly appreciate your kind remarks regarding your stays with us at the Waterfront Place Hotel. Your patronage is very important to us and we look forward to making your future stays as enjoyable as your past stays. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Beachwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

I am a teacher in the state of New Jersey. I stayed with 16 of my students at The Waterfront hotel and it was amazing. We first met Toni at the front desk and she was so helpful and amazing. We had a little problem with a room being ready but Toni and the whole front desk were very accomodating and helpful. The rooms are huge and the beds are comfy. After driving for 6 hours, I think all the kids passed out as soon as they l;aid down. We stayed from March 20-March 21, 2014. I am definetly coming back nect year with a bunch more students who are considering going to WVU. Toni set the tone from when we walked in and after checking out we had an amazing conversation about my students and where we are from. Looking forward to coming back next year

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mtruhan
Thank you for the kind words regarding our hotel, service, and staff. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Toni and the entire front desk team. I am glad to hear you and your students were able to unwind and relax after your six hour journey. Hopefully you and your students enjoyed the visit to WVU, and we look forward to seeing you again next year!

Bradley, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last night, I live in town but wanted to do something special for my girlfriends birthday. I booked a massage appointment and took their "do not disturb" package. Tyne value that I received for my paltry 200 dollars spent was immense. EVERYONE on staff was extremely warm and pleasent, greeting us very professionaly and helping me make sure that this was a very special experience for my lovely lady. When taking steps to surprise her with a bottle of champagne in the room, they were incredibly discreet and took every precaution to make sure she was surprised when we arrived upstairs. The food was incredible and well worth the price paid since it was included in my package. It felt like a fancy vacation and we were only five minutes from home. Thank you so much to the entire staff at this wonderful establishment for truly making last night and this morning a magical experience!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian B
Brian B,
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay. It is a pleasure to hear you and your girlfriend were able to enjoy the birthday surprise you had envisioned, and we are happy that you both liked the “Do Not Disturb” package. Thank you for choosing the Waterfront Place Hotel for your birthday celebration!

Findlay, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here many times returning from DC. My thoughts: the parking isn't a real issue. I will say that I valeted my car & found it parked outside instead of in the garage. That's a problem. The restaurant has shrunk it's menu options. I will agree with another review. I was eating dinner in the Regatta Grille & had to listen to a very loud group of businessman who weren't in there to eat dinner but to conduct a meeting. When I eat a meal I don't want to hear a bunch of loud guys talking about their business. It took away from an otherwise very good meal. I like to look out the window & see the Monongahela but it might not be worth it anymore.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Carrier19
Thank you for taking a moment to provide us feedback regarding your recent Waterfront Place Hotel visit.
On behalf of the hotel, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your meal. Individuals will casually meet within the Regatta to conduct a business lunch or dinner, and, again, I am sorry this had a negative impact on your dining experience. We truly value your patronage and we hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Pikeville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had never stayed at this property before (which I found out was previously affiliated with Radisson). I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the spaciousness of the rooms. The room decor is somewhat bland and could use some updates, but is otherwise very comfortable and certainly accommodating.

The hotel's Rat Pack Lounge was closed when I was there, but I was very pleased with the Regatta Grille and Bar--a true cut above an average in-house hotel restaurant. The free shuttle service to nearby downtown Morgantown was also an extra added perk. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank tjl3845
Thank you for your polite remarks regarding our hotel, staff, and the Regatta. We truly value and appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback, as it is guest’s comments that give us an opportunity to continually improve the property. We hope you will stay with us again at the Waterfront Place Hotel.