“Who would ever think that there was a hotel of this quality for the price?”

Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Beckley, West Virginia
“Who would ever think that there was a hotel of this quality for the price?”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My son is a graduate of WVU. Whenever I visited him, I stayed at the Waterfront Place. I consistently went there for four years. I was careful to avoid football weekends, when the cost would be prohibitive. I have been all over the world, and the Waterfront is as nice as any fancy four star hotel. I give it a 5th star because I only had to pay on average $130 per night to stay there. They have all the amenities--room service, valet parking and all the perks that a spoiled brat like myself love. I hope that my son will go back to WVU for some more education so I can go to the Waterfront. I really don't know why people are willing to stay in crappy hotels when they can spend the same money and stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary M
Ryan A, Marketing Specialist at Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Mary M,
We greatly appreciate your kind remarks regarding your stays with us at the Waterfront Place Hotel. Your patronage is very important to us and we look forward to making your future stays as enjoyable as your past stays. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Ryan Alexander – Marketing Specialist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Beachwood, New Jersey
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I am a teacher in the state of New Jersey. I stayed with 16 of my students at The Waterfront hotel and it was amazing. We first met Toni at the front desk and she was so helpful and amazing. We had a little problem with a room being ready but Toni and the whole front desk were very accomodating and helpful. The rooms are huge and the beds are comfy. After driving for 6 hours, I think all the kids passed out as soon as they l;aid down. We stayed from March 20-March 21, 2014. I am definetly coming back nect year with a bunch more students who are considering going to WVU. Toni set the tone from when we walked in and after checking out we had an amazing conversation about my students and where we are from. Looking forward to coming back next year

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mtruhan
Thank you for the kind words regarding our hotel, service, and staff. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Toni and the entire front desk team. I am glad to hear you and your students were able to unwind and relax after your six hour journey. Hopefully you and your students enjoyed the visit to WVU, and we look forward to seeing you again next year!

Bradley, West Virginia
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last night, I live in town but wanted to do something special for my girlfriends birthday. I booked a massage appointment and took their "do not disturb" package. Tyne value that I received for my paltry 200 dollars spent was immense. EVERYONE on staff was extremely warm and pleasent, greeting us very professionaly and helping me make sure that this was a very special experience for my lovely lady. When taking steps to surprise her with a bottle of champagne in the room, they were incredibly discreet and took every precaution to make sure she was surprised when we arrived upstairs. The food was incredible and well worth the price paid since it was included in my package. It felt like a fancy vacation and we were only five minutes from home. Thank you so much to the entire staff at this wonderful establishment for truly making last night and this morning a magical experience!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian B
Brian B,
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay. It is a pleasure to hear you and your girlfriend were able to enjoy the birthday surprise you had envisioned, and we are happy that you both liked the “Do Not Disturb” package. Thank you for choosing the Waterfront Place Hotel for your birthday celebration!

Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here many times returning from DC. My thoughts: the parking isn't a real issue. I will say that I valeted my car & found it parked outside instead of in the garage. That's a problem. The restaurant has shrunk it's menu options. I will agree with another review. I was eating dinner in the Regatta Grille & had to listen to a very loud group of businessman who weren't in there to eat dinner but to conduct a meeting. When I eat a meal I don't want to hear a bunch of loud guys talking about their business. It took away from an otherwise very good meal. I like to look out the window & see the Monongahela but it might not be worth it anymore.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Carrier19
Thank you for taking a moment to provide us feedback regarding your recent Waterfront Place Hotel visit.
On behalf of the hotel, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your meal. Individuals will casually meet within the Regatta to conduct a business lunch or dinner, and, again, I am sorry this had a negative impact on your dining experience. We truly value your patronage and we hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Pikeville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had never stayed at this property before (which I found out was previously affiliated with Radisson). I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the spaciousness of the rooms. The room decor is somewhat bland and could use some updates, but is otherwise very comfortable and certainly accommodating.

The hotel's Rat Pack Lounge was closed when I was there, but I was very pleased with the Regatta Grille and Bar--a true cut above an average in-house hotel restaurant. The free shuttle service to nearby downtown Morgantown was also an extra added perk. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank tjl3845
Thank you for your polite remarks regarding our hotel, staff, and the Regatta. We truly value and appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback, as it is guest’s comments that give us an opportunity to continually improve the property. We hope you will stay with us again at the Waterfront Place Hotel.

Beckley, West Virginia
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I've been staying at the Waterfront Place Hotel for years and I have to admit the recent changes have come with minimal consideration of hotel guests. However, these changes include the recent closure of the Rat Pack Lounge and the changes made with parking accommodations. I will start with the parking changes. Instead of being met with friendly bell service, you are being met with angry guests waiting on cars, carts, bell service assistance, etc. First of all, let’s be clear, the bell service staff is exceptional. John B. and his team do a great job to assist guest needs. However, these guys are running much farther than they used to be. Most of their time is spent running rather than assisting guests with needs such as luggage, luggage carts, etc. I use this hotel for travel quit often. They recently closed the Rat Pack Lounge which was an exceptional place to watch sporting events or meet with a group in a low key environment in the evenings. Let's be clear, Mary Ann and Melissa were exceptional employees and they provided great customer service for years, which kept guests coming back. This was a very poor decision, not only did we lose two exceptional employees that guest like to see, the guests lost a fun and friendly environment to meet in the late evenings. It's my understanding their putting in a Starbucks in place of the Rat Pack Lounge. This would be a good addition to the overpriced limited menu selection that currently exists.

In addition, the hotel is not business friendly. If you would like to meet with your group and discuss business, be ready to pay a hefty price for a conference / meeting room. The business center is extremely small and does not offer the guests options for printing. In order to conduct business you are forced to set in the lobby or use the restaurant to meet with your group.

I’ve watched the cleanliness of the rooms deteriorate over time as well. For example, simple things are overlooked such as shower curtains, various stains on walls in bathroom and guest rooms, floors, ironing boards covers, etc.

It’s disappointing to leave such a review on trip advisor about a hotel that used to be second to none in customer service, accommodations and facilities. However, I’ve stayed here long enough to learn that these folks pay more attention to Trip Advisor Reviews rather than focusing on guest surveys sent out in email. Maybe it’s because the world sees Trip Advisor! I would hope that the management team reevaluates their direction and include input from the front line teams that keep guests returning to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank West Virginia W
Ryan A, Marketing Specialist at Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at Waterfront Place Hotel. We understand you have a choice of hotels in Morgantown and we are pleased you chose us.

On behalf of the hotel, please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced during your most recent stay. I am happy to inform you that the guestroom issues you refer to are being addressed. In addition, guests who use the business center have the ability to print documents to the front desk. We are hopeful you will allow us another opportunity to provide you the level of service with which our guests are accustomed.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The rooms were mediocre, but tolerable. My biggest gripe is the changes made to an already unconventional parking situation. I have stayed at the Waterfront numerous times on the past and have recently learned that guests no longer have access to the closest parking garage on the property and are forced to walk a significantly greater distance now due to cost cutting by management. I will not be staying at the Waterfront when doing business in Morgantown.

• Stayed March 2014
Ryan A, Marketing Specialist at Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with the Waterfront Place Hotel. We truly value and appreciate your patronage, and we are sorry to hear you will no longer opt for the Waterfront when traveling on business.

Though slightly longer, the hotel feels that this parking option is best for our guests. The use of this garage allows our guests to avoid poor weather when accessing their automobiles. Thank you again for your patronage and we hope you will consider the Waterfront in the future.