“For the dollar, may be the best hotel value anywhere”

Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed August 1, 2013

So I travel to the Morgantown area from time to time and typically stay at some Hilton or Marriott property to rack up some points. Well, nothing was available and I ended up at the Waterfront Place Hotel. Let me tell you - I won't ever stay anywhere else in Morgantown again. The hotel is lovely, with a great view of the river. Rooms are well appointed - nice firm beds, nice amenities. The pool is great, with a large hot tub. The fitness center is extremely nice for a hotel and overlooks the river. Staff are very friendly and responsive. The restaurant is very good, with a breakfast buffet (that everyone else has already mentioned) that can't be beat for $12. To top it off, it was recommended that I walk down the river path to Mountain State Brewing Company for dinner, which has great pizza and home brewed beer for the ridiculous price of $3.50 (less certain nights). I now look for excuses to travel to Morgantown.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank greenbeltdan
Ryan A, Marketing Specialist at Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding our hotel accommodations and amenities. We are pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay, and we look forward to your next visit to Morgantown.

There are newer reviews for Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel will always be our first choice while staying in Morgantown. This is a very nice hotel with an upscale atmosphere. The rooms are large and well appointed. My group ate at the Regatta Bar and Grille each morning for breakfast. They had a breakfast buffet on the weekend with made to order omelettes in addition to ordering off the menu. I would like to mention that one of our waiters, Joe, was specifically a good waiter. The restaurant has a nice view of the river and you can sit inside or on the patio overlooking the river.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KDSoccer2
Ryan A, Marketing Specialist at Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

We sincerely appreciate your wonderful remarks regarding our hotel accommodations and staff. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and we hope to see you again during future stays.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel about 3 times already. We stayed there again on July 17, 2013 in two rooms. The hotel is the best in Morgantown. The location is amazing, our kids enjoyed the indoor heated swimming pool (perfect temperature). The restaurant also serves very good food and the price is right as well.

One of the best aspects of the hotel was the staff. Starting from Valet individual to the front desk every one is very pleasant. However, their star employee is Lauren, housekeeping supervisor/manager. When we decided to visit downtown Morgantown in the evening, I decided to leave my cash in the room. We did not feel comfortable taking our cash with us. I left all my cash in the room. And the next day when we checked out early in the morning, we forgot to take our money. After departing the hotel, and calling two days later Lauren was able to retrieve the money from its location. I for sure did not expect as I assumed if an employees will find it they may not be willing to return it and blame it on guests or other employees. But Waterfront takes pride on their 3.5 star service and amenities. I disagree....they provide 5 star service in a 4 star like hotel amenities. Thank you Waterfront! It was a pleasant stay and we will see you soon.

Room Tip: IF will spend some time during the day time than get a river front room - great views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Ryan A, Marketing Specialist at Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for your excellent review regarding your stay with us at the Waterfront Place Hotel. We value your patronage and we look forward to ensuring your future stays are as enjoyable as previous stays. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My friend were in the area and needed a hotel for the night. We stopped and were greeted by extremely friendly staff. They were helpful and were able to accommodate us. The room was clean and comfortable. It was a great find and I would go there again. The price was good, there were plenty of towels and helpful staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our hotel accommodations, service and staff. We hope to see you again in the future at the Waterfront Place Hotel.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Waterfront Hotel

Thought we'd try it since it had good reviews. We were traveling and Morgantown was a halfway point.

First room we were given had clearly been smoked in, altho they're nonsmoking rooms.The stale smoke permeated the room and within moments, my throat was sore. kids were horrified that we might have to sleep in that smell. I called my husband, who was still around the lobby area, and informed him so he could ask for us to be moved.

We were immediately given another room, with offers to send someone to move our bags for us. We declined, just thankful it wasn't a hassle!

Second room was much better!

Like others, I do have an issue that they charge for parking. I saw a management response about the downtown area being a paid parking area, as if this is somehow simply competitive pricing by charging those who give them business for the parking required for them to get here to give them business. What? You're not NYC with parking space issues, and I have also stayed in plenty of hotels in downtown areas that are also "paid parking areas", but the hotels do not charge their patrons to park simply because the city and private owned garages charge people who come downtown. As a matter of fact, many hotels validate tickets for city garages if they do not have their own to spare their patrons parking costs. I think it's tacky business practice when you have ample parking room and you stick it to your patrons who are giving you business. I've never had a restaurant charge me to park so I can eat in their establishment. When we stayed in Morgantown previously, our hotel never charged us to park and they were just as nice, or nicer.

Rant over. It's just annoying to see such a lame excuse given as a reason for charging guests to park when so many other hotels, in Morgantown and many big cities even, include this as an amenity.

The pool was nice, but a bit overchlorinated! It smelled very strongly all the way down the hall. The "hot tub" was super hot! Hotter then most I've ever been in. We were burned by it (similar to a sunburn, but for a hot tub, that's too much). Perhaps it was exacerbated by the over chlorination, I dunno. No, we don't have sensitive skin. We've been in plenty of hot tubs nd not experienced this.

Beds were very comfortable. I got a great nights sleep! Clean and fresh. Saw complaints about the sheet not being a fitted one. Many hotels do this. It makes stripping and making the bed easier. I didn't have an issue with it.

Water pressure in shower was good. Lots of hot water! Like, super hot. If you have kids, might wanna supervise the initial running of shower water. It's extremely hot.

Not sure I would stay here again given a few of the other options right off the highway that were just as nice and way more convenient, and about the same amount.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback as it is guests’ comments that allow us to continually improve as we strive to provide the perfect guest experience.

I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, though I am pleased to hear our front desk staff remedied your guestroom issue quickly. In regards to the indoor pool and hot tub, I will ensure that our engineering department resolves the matter. We are hopeful that you will allow us the chance to win back your confidence.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We didn't have booking, rolled in around 12:15am July 18th. Ricky(front desk )was very help full.
Paid $124 and lot worth it. Couldn't stay longer but will come back.
I'm writing this because our boys 14 & 12 loved this place.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your kind review regarding our hotel. We look forward to your return visit to the Waterfront Place Hotel.

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

BACKGROUND
Returning from a family vacation with three kids (13x2 &10 year old) in tow. Need was just a rest/sleep stop on the road.

OVERALL
Despite a couple of glitches this was a good experience and better than the chain hotel at which we stayed on the way to our vacation. If we stay in Morgantown again, I think that we will return.

CLEANLINESS
With one notable exception the hotel was clean and well kept in all areas, public and private. The exception was our first room (610) which smelled like it had been occupied by a smoker, and pretty significantly so. That's the reason for the '3' rating in this category. (New room was perfect.)

LOCATION
As a destination hotel this would have been a very good location. However, it was just an off the road stop for us and we had to maneuver through town to get to it. Also, food locations are not within walking distance. The drive to pick-up pizzas,however, wasn't bad.

ROOMS
Very good, well arranged, perfectly clean, the usual single serve coffee maker, bathroom was spacious.

SERVICE
Other than that a walk-up was allowed to step in front of me for questions and then a check-in, costing quite a bit more time as my tired family waited in the van, service was friendly, polite, professional, and accommodating throughout. They were quick and helpful in changing our room after discovering it had been occupied by a smoker.

VALUE
Total charge was $108 and change. Very good value for the cost.

CONCLUSION
We have stayed in Morgantown several times as we have passed through on road trips. This is the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Ryan A, Marketing Specialist at Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Waterfront Place Hotel, thank you for your excellent review. I am pleased to hear that our staff promptly attended to your needs, and we hope to see you again during future Morgantown visits.