“Will definitely come back (just not on New Year's Eve!!!)” 4 of 5 stars

Waterfront Place Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Two Waterfront Place, Morgantown, WV 26501   |
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Glen Burnie, Maryland
“Will definitely come back (just not on New Year's Eve!!!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

My husband and I decided we wanted to take a long scenic drive from our home in Maryland and stay overnight in a nice hotel to ring in the new year. We booked a room at this hotel after doing some research online and were very pleased with the accommodations. Overall, it was wonderful and our little New Year's "adventure" was a success.
We purchased the "Do Not Disturb" package, which was a good deal - $200 for a riverview room, dinner for two, breakfast for two, valet parking, and a bottle of red or white wine for us to share during dinner at the hotel restaurant.
Our riverview room was immaculate and comfortable. Other reviews mentioned the noise, we experienced this as well. It didn't help that it was new year's eve and people were loud and drunk.
....Which leads us to the main downside of our experience at the hotel - the fire alarm went off at about 5 in the morning thanks to some drunk moron who thought it would be funny to pull it. Ha. Ha. Ha. We were all asked to evacuate into the cold foggy morning and wait for the firemen to finish their inspection.
But we agreed that we cannot hold that against the hotel. It just didn't make our experience very enjoyable.
The food at the restaurant was REALLY good. I enjoyed eating dinner and breakfast there. All of the staff were nice and helpful. I used the cardio machines in the fitness room which was great and we took advantage of the hot tub/indoor pool last night.
Despite the little fire drill this morning, we really enjoyed our stay and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank acampion17
WaterfrontGM, General Manager at Waterfront Place Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us on New Years Eve. We appreciate the kind words regarding our hotel and restaurant as well as the other facilities at the Waterfront Place Hotel. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience that was created in the early morning hours of New Years day. We hope to see you again at the Waterfront Place Hotel and the Regatta Bar & Grille.

all the best,
Waterfront Place Hotel & Morgantown Event Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Odenton, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

I reserved a non-smoking king room with river view. The room was spacious and had a nice view. The room appeared clean. I was a little underwhelmed by the lack of a room safe and in room refrigerator (aren't they standard amenities?)

The mattress and pillows need to be replaced. They were lumpy; the mattress was stained.

I was disturbed to find a $6 charge on my invoice for parking, since there was no mention of the fee at check in. The MOD stated that the charge is customary for reservations made through third party sites. (This is was not an acceptable answer.) The manager graciously took the charge off of the bill.

I was a bit concerned for my safety when walking from the parking garage to the hotel at night and there is no direct line of site from the garage to the hotel.

This may be one of the finer establishments for the area, but it does not compare well to chain establishments at similar rates.

I do not foresee an occasion to return to Morgantown; however, should I travel to Morgantown again, I would probably try another establishment.

Room Tip: On the friday night of my stay, the third floor was especially noisy until about midnight.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank MariMckenna
WaterfrontGM, General Manager at Waterfront Place Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay. We are very proud of the product and service we provide our guests at the Waterfront Place Hotel and therefore we take every guest comment very seriously. We will certainly look into the mattress and pillow issue you listed. As for the parking, we have two parking garages for the hotel, one that is attached and has indoor access to the hotel from the garage eiminating the need to walk outside. Thank you again and we hope to see you at the Waterfront Place Hotel in the future.

Rincon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

The Waterfront charged my girlfriend's credit card an additional $250 days after our stay at the hotel. The charge was for an old cigarette box with 2 cigarette butts in it that we threw away before we checked out. The butts were from cigarettes that my girlfriend had smoked during our stay which she did outside of the hotel and used her empty box as a trash can sense none are provided out front. As many times as we tried to call and explain or try to reason with the hotel the manager essentially called us liars and said he would look into it. We never heard from him again and every time we tried to call back he would either be conveniently out of the office or in a meeting. This hotel has poor customer service and all they care about is money. Be careful when you stay at the Waterfront. You never know what you'll be charged for... even using the trash cans!!!

Room Tip: This hotel is in no way smoker friendly or friendly both inside and out.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank ElGringoAlto
WaterfrontGM, General Manager at Waterfront Place Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide your comments however your comments referencing our customer service is not in keeping with the vast majority of our TripAdvisor posts that point out our outstanding customer service. We feel that it is unfortunate you made the comments about the cigarettes given the actual circumstances that took place. We hope to see you again at the Waterfront Place Hotel.

Mount Rainier, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I got really great deal on a room here by going through a third party website.

The hotel looks excellent. The staff was wonderful. The decor, lovely.

I made use of the hotel shuttle, which dropped me off at a restaurant downtown, then we swung by a liquor store on the way back to the hotel.

Everything was going great until I went to get some ice. And I found there was already water in my ice bucket. dun dun DUN!

Ok. I just used the plastic baggie and stuck it in the bucket. I was bothered...but no big deal.

What REALLY got my goat was when I took a shower. There were dirt smudges on the inside of the shower curtain. Several very obvious smudges. YUCK CITY.

I never did a really thorough check of the room...these are things that I saw as I was casually looking around. It made me wonder...What did I miss?

Other than that, the bed was comfortable. The TV channel options were poor, though. They didn't have MTV, VH1, Bravo, Lifetime, BET, etc....basically all the channels I like, lol. They did have HBO and HBO Family.

So...I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us and we are following up with our team on the areas of concern you pointed out to us. Again, thank you for providing your comments and we hope to see you again at the Waterfront Place Hotel.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I was very surprised by the Waterfront Place Hotel. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was roomy and very comfortable, with all the amenities you would expect. The gym was much nicer than the average hotel gym. You can't beat the location, right on the river and offered a great place to run. I attended a conference and couldn't believe how attentive the staff was or how I enjoyed the food. It's pretty hard to serve a large group delicious meals. In addition, they had free shuttle, free parking and really acted like they appreciated our business. I highly recommend the Waterfront Place Hotel!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

This was my third time staying at the Waterfront Place Hotel, and the hotel and the staff there have yet to let me down. Front the time I pulled up to Valet to the time I left, I felt like they were glad that I had chosen their hotel to stay in.

The room was nice and well-appointed and the bed was as comfortable as they come. The location is convenient and easy to get to, and the location is smack dab on the Monongahela River that runs past Morgantown.

Enjoy a meal in the Regatta Bar and Grille or a cocktail in the Rat Pack Lounge.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

The Waterfront is filled with surprises. You might see Jerry West, U.S. Senator Jay Rockefeller, the Governor or any of hundreds of the movers and shakers of the state of West Virginia in the lobby or restaurants. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and consumer friendly. The only thing I would add -- and this is a pet pieve -- is free WIFI on all floors. I just cannot imagine not offering free WIFI in this age where travelers want and need to stay connected. It appears that the hotel is owned or, at least, operated by the University. I spoke to many of the staff and they seemed to have a great handle on what it takes to keep hotel users happy. The Waterfront does just that. It is an oasis among lesser hotels and motels centered around West Virginia University. You do need to be aware that there are a lot of University activities and meetings held at the hotel that push availability. For instance, on football game weekends, there is a two-night minimum stay required; even if you could get a reservation, which you cannot unless you books at least a year in advance. That can be troublesum for those traveling long distances and wanted to be part of the action related to WVU. But non-game reservations are much easier to book. The restaurant and bar operations are first class. You just don't expect the wide food menu. There are two bars: one a sports bar and the other catering to connecting movers and shakers to a singular place to gather. There are several nice riverfront eateries within walking distance from the hotel; but you won't go wrong in quality or price at the hotel's restaurants and bars. We absolutely adore this hotel and make axcuses to stay there. Try it. You will love it!

Room Tip: Riverside rooms have the best view of the river and locks
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple