“3 Star Hotel-Room 324 in need of renovation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterfront Place Hotel

Waterfront Place Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Atlanta
“3 Star Hotel-Room 324 in need of renovation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

I stayed in room 324 while traveling through WV. Room is in need of renovation. Section of ceiling in bathroom has exposed drywall and no paint. The tub fuacet is loose and pulls out of the wall. Flat screen tv but signal poor/ non digital? No fridge in room-just an empty cabinet. Room faces road and is noisy. Size of room is good just poorly maintained. If you get this room ask for another!

Hotel lobby and restuarants are nice but room is average. Self-parking is across the street. It is not covered from the hotel to the parking area. They offer valet. Olivierie's resturant has good Italian food and is reasonable priced. Walkway along river is currently closed. It is all ripped apart when I was their.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 324
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KathleenATL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

I have stayed at the Waterfront Place Hotel five times since it first opened. I have noticed that the rooms have progressively gone down hill. Paint peeling from the ceiling in the bathroom, the faucet for the tub pulls out two inches from the wall when you turn on the shower, carpet stained, in essence general wear and tear. No fridge in empty cabinet. Previous stays at this hotel the fridge was in the room but this time I was told by front desk that they could deliver a small fridge to the room but there is a $10 a night charge. Classy place. At the pool you will notice that the panelling on the ceiling, which were a neat way to cover the sanitation pipes when the hotel was new, are stained dark brown, broken and or missing. You can guess what caused the brown staining. The hotel is in need of a clean up!!

The hotel is located approx. five minutes off the highway. There are good restuarants within walking distance of the hotel. Follow the path (currently ripped up) that runs along the river towards town. Self parking for the hotels is a short walk outside.

This is a three star hotel that used to be a four star hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Bruce066
WaterfrontGM, General Manager at Waterfront Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Although we sincerely appreciate your feedback on your stay with us, I do find it interesting that you state you have stayed here five times and the rooms have gone down hill. We did a guest room renovation during 2010 that included new window treatments, ergonomic work desk and chairs, new 42 inch plasma HDTV's with credenza's and new bedding package. We are stated to put in new carpet in all guest rooms within the next year although we put new carpet in all guest corridors as well during our renovation last year. Additionally, the panels above the pool are there to provide sound proofing for the pool area as well as protect the piping from corosion due to the pool chemicals. The panels are actually being replaced next week during Easter week as we have to shut down the pool. Again, we appreciate your feedback but do have some concerns about the way in which you present our hotel as we have invested a great deal of money and time renovation our place over the past year.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

The Waterfront Place Hotel was a surprising find on Expedia. The hotel sits near the river and is easily accessed by a main thoroughfare. The hotel itself was immaculate with amazing beds. Parking is free and people can walk up and down the river. A restaurant and lounge can be found on the lobby floor along with a small gift shop. The front office staff were very helpful and polite.

The hotel had a nice, cozy sized pool with a side whirlpool for relaxing. Towels and plenty of chairs were found around the pool. Definitely a nice place to hang out or just read.

The area of Morgantown includes the downtown city area, West Virginia University, the medical campus, shopping malls, and numerous restaurants. The downtown area has many eccentric small shops and restaurants.

Overall the hotel great with amazing beds, free wifi, a nice pool, and a good location.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

Stayed Waterfront Place for about six weeks doing nearby business, Mondays thru Fridays. Also came back to stay for the AllGood Festival.

I have traveled and stayed long-term in hotels on six continents.

In terms of what I like: clean, friendly, efficient, I give it top marks.

Prices are okay all-around.

It's clean, spacious, and riverwalk is great for after-work exercise.

Nice staff treats you well from door-to-door -- but doesn't get up in your grill too much. Valets are nice college kids hustling for a buck.

The ladies behind the bars are pleasant and good sports fans. They know the local teams. I got to know them almost like neighbors at my local bar. I even saw WVU hoops coach Bob Huggins, my fave, in the lounge, which is my favorite WV hangout.

If only Amber would have come back to DC with me, it would have been perfect.

All Good!

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

Recently stayed at this hotel with a (non-spousal) family member and a small child. I reserved our stay through Priceline, which was apparently cause for poor treatment. Although the hotel itself is nice, and clean, and provided an overall decent stay, our stay was immediately soured from the start. Upon check-in, I gave my name, and after finding my reservation, the young lady seemed to get an instant attitude. It's hard to describe, but she somewhat rolled her eyes and gave a bit of a sigh. I thought perhaps I was imagining it at first. Then, when I requested a room with two beds (I was traveling with an extended family member, not my husband), the young lady replied that they have me placed in a room with a king bed. When I mentioned that I preferred two beds as I was not traveling with my spouse, she replied that they are only obligated to give me a room that could accommodate two adults. When I said yes, I know, but not all traveling companions are couples, she took the conversation further by saying that all requests for specific bedding needed to be made through Priceline. I had to correct her because Priceline says that all specific requests need to be directed to the hotel.....which was what I was doing. And for some reason, the young lady found it necessary to repeat several times, "M'am, you've reserved through Priceline.....you've reserved through Priceline" which could be heard by other guests at the desk. Her voice had a bit of a condescending tone, and made me feel uncomfortable for having done so. She made us feel most unwelcomed. As the conversation continued, she indicated that she didn't think they had any rooms with two beds. At that point, a co-worker sensed a problem, and came over to help. Within seconds, she was able to find a room with two beds. But by then, I was already very uncomfortable.

Although somewhat unrelated, the only other negative comment I want to make is that our tub/shower drain backed up, and it took well over an hour for the water to drain out. This put us behind schedule as I preferred not to stand in dirty, soapy water for my shower. Additionally, we did not notify the front desk as I did not want to receive any more attitude from the front desk person for complaining.

I book many hotels through Priceline, and must admit that this is not the first time that I've come across this. Although most hotels are polite, a few have given attitude while using the word "Priceline" or have unfortunately given what appear to be the least desirable rooms in the house. My advice to these hotels is.....if you are going to offer discounted rates on the Priceline website, then please don't treat those guests like unwelcomed intruders. I'm always very appreciative for receiving a good deal on travel, and will write very nice/honest reviews and/or make recommendations to fellow travelers. But if your hotel treats a guest with an attitude, then unfortunately you end up with this type of review.

Thank you, Waterfront Place, for the decent rate, but I'm sorry you felt it necessary to make us feel unwelcomed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank nana219
WaterfrontGM, General Manager at Waterfront Place Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
We sincerely apologize for our lack of professionalism during your interaction with us and I assure you that we will be addressing this today with our staff. We pride ourselves on our customer service at the Waterfront Place Hotel and we will take every measure to ensure we do not create this situation in the future. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again in the future at the Waterfront Place Hotel.
Ridgeley, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

A gorgeous hotel experience. The front desk staff checked me in quickly and the valet parking was very convenient. My room was beautifully appointed and immaculate. I am one who would notice if they were sanitation issues, but I saw none, not even in the corners. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet that was offered in the restaurant. Lots of choices at a reasonable price.

I chose WP because I was attending a concert in the event center. Since they were connected, I didn't have to leave the property. After the concert, we stopped in the Rat Pack Lounge for a nightcap, which brought forth my only complaint. I don't care for paying $6 for a mixed drink that was little more than soda pop.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WaterfrontGM, General Manager at Waterfront Place Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
We sincerely appreciate the nice review you provided of the Waterfront Place Hotel and look forward to your return in the future. I also apreciate the feedback on the lounge and I will follow up with our food & beverage staff to ensure we are providing the quality that is expected in our lounge moving forward. It always helps to hear feedback from our guests to enable us the opportunity to work on those things that are brought to our attention. Thanks again.
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

The Waterfront Place Hotel is the best place to stay in Morgantown, WV hands down! They have a great staff with excellent service, comfortable beds, a trendy martini/cigar bar, a fabulous restaurant and an indoor pool!!
The hotel is located on a river and connects to a beautiful riverwalk that goes for miles. It is also just a short walk to downtown.
I would recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WaterfrontGM, General Manager at Waterfront Place Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our staff and hotel. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and we look forward to your next visit to the Waterfront Place Hotel.
Dan Watts - General Manager/ Waterfront Place Hotel & Morgantown Event Center