“Dissapointed”

Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed October 21, 2007

The property was in a very nice location but the hotel appeared understaffed and lacking any real supervision.

It took us an exceptionally long time to check in while only being the second person in line. We called down to the desk on two separate occassions for assistance both times the operator seemed hurried and annoyed about the interuption.

This was the 3rd time I stayed at this hotel and think I might try the Spring Hill Suites during my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank mountaineerfan74
WaterfrontGM, General Manager at Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2008

Although we did have some challenges with staffing levels at that time, I am confident that we made dramatic improvements in this area. We made some changes in our management team at the beginning of this year which have made a tremendous difference in our overall customer service and quality of product. There are always going to be challenges in this business but the way in which we are handling those challenges now vs. how they were handled in the past is the key to how we feel we are providing a much improved customer service level. We appreciate your feedback as it is what helps us get better at what we do.

Reviewed October 2, 2007

My overall impression is that this is a nice place, with a nice work-out facility and a nice location, but my overall impression is that they try to maximize every penny at the expense of customer service - how?

1. If you don't cancel more than 24 hours out, you have to pay for the room. I travel for business and besides Las Vegas, I have never heard of this cancellation policy.

2. I had a letter from my client indicating the dates I was staying and that I should get the client negotiated room rate. When I stayed there again (with the dates that were on the letter), they couldn't find the letter (didn't seem like they even looked) and told me that I had to get another letter to get the correct (cheaper) room rate. Even though they could look in the system and see I had this room rate of two previous stays. I've never had a hotel request this information multiple times in nearly 1000 room nights I've stayed.

3. They charged me the $6 for parking when I told them I didn't need parking.

Because of my perception of their attitude, I don't plan to stay there again and don't recommend to anyone else, either.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank lordcambridge
Reviewed September 1, 2007

We needed a hotel at the last minute in Morgantown and, alas, it was during a home WVU game and everything was booked solid. We chose the Waterfront simply because they had a room available for us, although the rate was a lot steeper than we normally pay. (Granted, our last minute booking meant the only room available was one of their large, corner rooms with a king; that alone will boost up the rate.) While the expensive rates make me hesitate to fully recommend this hotel, I will say that our room was spotlessly clean, the bed was very comfortable (so much so that we slept until 10 AM), and the staff there was unfailingly polite. You undoubtedly can find better bargains in Motown, but this hotel does provide a clean, safe, comfortable environment for their guests.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ekatkos
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed with this hotel (while it was still a Raddisson) during our daughter's illness and then through his. I would estimate that over a 3 year period, we were guests for at least 9 months. We were always extremely pleased with the service we received during our stays. My husband passed away in June and my daughter and I decided to spend a few days at the Waterfront Hotel before she starts back to school.
I have never been so disappointed in a hotel as I have been during these two days. The hotel is seriously understaffed for a hotel this size and for the room rates and food rates that are being charged. I payed for the valet parking and my car set outside from the time we checked in at noon on Monday until the next morning. During this period my daughter realized she had left her cel phone in the car and went down to get it. When she asked for the keys to the orange Cadillac, they were handed to her even though she did not give them the valet ticket. And when she came back in, the valet was missing again and she had no one to give the keys back to except the front desk. The point is, without asking for her ticket that confirmed she had a right to those keys, they were handed to her. She could have been anyone and asked for the keys to a car parked in front of the hotel and driven off with my car.
When we ordered room service that night, the young man was sent up to the room with only a portion of our order. He had to make a return trip with our bread and my daughter's desert. I had also asked for a pot of coffe which was delivered in a water pitcher with no lid, so the coffee did not stay hot long enough to drink it.
While I will return to the Waterfront Spa, I will never waste my money on another night at this hotel again. Not unless the service returns to what it was for the prices you are charging.

Mrs. Roy H. Jones

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank worldweary56
Reviewed May 21, 2007

This is a very nice and clean hotel well situated just on the edge of
the historic downtown area. Our corner room had a great view of downtown. The bed was comfortable and the room was spaceous and well laid out.

For some reason, our room wasn't serviced after the first night. We didn't return to the hotel until after 7 PM, so we didn't bother trying to contact the front desk to inquire why.

Our room price didn't include breakfast. Beware of the cost of breakfast in the dining room. The so-so buffet costs $13. If you order ala carte, it's just as expensive. Coffee is $4. Bagel and cream cheese is $4. Two eggs, bacon, toast and coffee runs $12. You might consider somewhere else for breakfast as it really wasn't that good and definately not worth the price.

Self parking costs $6 per day. Valet, with unlimited in and out, runs $8 per day. The attendants were very prompt at retrieving our vehicle.

All in all, this is a nice hotel and probably the nicest in Morgantown. The hidden costs, however, make it not the best value. Our king room cost was $108 per night. With parking and breakfast for two, the nightly cost was $142 plus taxes and tips. If you want a river view, it's $15 per night more. I think that's a bit expensive for Morgantown, WV.

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank Peabody1117
Reviewed May 2, 2007

This was my second stay at this hotel. In town for a conference April 29-May 2 (same dates as my stay in 2006). Previously the Radisson, the Waterfront Palce Hotel is a very comfortable, upscale hotel, convenient to downtown/WVU. Rooms are very spacious. During this stay I was on the 6th floor. King bed, sofa bed, desk, and entertainment armoire finish out the room. Bed was comfy with plenty of pillows. Room has a real closet which houses the iron/ironing board, real hangers for clothing, and a fold out suitcase stand. Room and bed linens appeared to be clean. I would recommend the addition of a coffee table near the sofa.

Bathroom is huge with ample counterspace. In-room coffee maker is located in the bathroom. Sink was a bit slow to drain but bathroom was clean (minus a few small spots of mold in shower), with enough towels for my stay. Travel size shampoo/conditioner and soap provided.

Free internet service is available in-room as well as a limited but adequate selection of cable channels including HBO. Several lamps placed throughout the room as well as a clock-radio.

Property offers an indoor pool/whirlpool. Used the pool once during my stay. Pool appeared to be clean and well maintained. Some of the ceiling tiles in that space were missing however. Towels are available poolside. Did not use the fitness center.

A complimentary coffee station was available in the lobby each morning. Staff members I encountered were friendly and helpful.

A small sundry shop is located next to the front desk for purchasing sodas/snacks and travel sized items such as over the counter medicines and other personal care products.

Hotel offers easy access to the Rail/trail for biking/walking. 15 minute walk to downtown though the hotel does offer a free shuttle on request. For a Sunday evening the downtown was buzzing with people and several restaurants were open.

Parking is behind the adjacent building, a short walk from the hotel entryway. Valet parking ($8/day) was available but I used the self-park option $6/day.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank PeaceLoveBoba
Reviewed March 1, 2007

As a sports official, this is where the university always puts me up, and I've never had even the slightest problem. The rooms are clean and modern, and the staff has always been very nice. The indoor pool is a nice place to have a little fun in the middle of winter!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business