“Very functional” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Grand Prairie, Texas
“Very functional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Made a 2-night stay in Morgantown for business related to WVU. From the outside, the hotel looks at least 30 year old. On the inside, it has gone through obvious recent renovations in the lobby and breakfast lounge areas. Room was clean and comfortable. My standard room had a mini fridge and microwave, though I had no use for either. The desk/work area was about as practical I've seen in some time - a large comfortable space with electrical outlets above the desk and within easy reach, plus overhead lighting, all part of an adjoining closet/hutch. My request for a king bed but two queens was all that was available, and the size of the queen sufficed for myself, I was traveling alone.
I was impressed by the breakfast layout - all "free", or included in the price of the room. I had it two mornings and the second morning did not provide the exact same offerings as the day before. I think one morning the hot dish was an omlette and link sausage, the next it was scrambled eggs and sausage patties. Yes - powdered eggs, the standard fare, but the effort at variety was appreciated.
Directly next door to the Hampton is an Applebee's, which came in handy one night for a few late-night adult beverages, then again the next night for a late-night snack. Nice that it's an easy walk across the parking lot.
It's not 5-star by any means, but a friendly staff, a clean place, and I'd be happy to come back here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fletch32
Robert G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Morgantown, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. At the Hampton Inn Morgantown we try very hard to make every guest feel welcome and provide a clean comfortable room and facility. If you come see us again please make sure I get a chance to meet you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We recently stopped at Hampton Inn in Morgantown, and used our Hilton Honors points for a free night. The room was clean, the front desk girl friendly and the bed was comfy. We had traveled 12 hours, so were in bed at 9:30, but jarred awake at 11:30 by a slamming door. At 3:30 a.m. we were awakened again by very loud talking and laughing in the hallway.
We had another long day of traveling ahead of us, so we arrived for breakfast at the stated time of 6:00 a.m. only to be told the breakfast hostess hadn't arrived, and there would be no breakfast available for another 1/2 hour. Not a really good start to our day - too bad we wasted our Honors points at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nannyOntario
Robert G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Morgantown, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
I am so sorry to hear about your experience at our Hampton Inn. I try hard to meet as many of our guests as possible and feel bad I was not able to speak with you during your stay. As you know at Hampton Inn we stand by our product and service by guaranteeing your satisfaction. Please feel free to contact me to discuss how we can better satisfy you during your next visit to Morgantown.
St. Catharines, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

We were hoping for a clean, hospitable site and were let down. Rug not vacuumed. toothpaste spit on bathroom door and mirror. small rooms that were overpriced. Heavy room doors that slam very loudly. alarm clock did not work. Continental breakfast promised but not provided. Hot room and loud rattly air conditioner. Rude staff. Far from highway - not worth extra drive!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KCgroomer
I wish to apologize for your recent experience at my hotel. I am sorry that I did not hear from you during your stay. As you know at Hampton Inn your Satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed and if you are not satisfied we do not expect you to pay. If you wish to contact me I would be very happy to see that you are 100% Satisfied with how, we at Hampton take care of all of our valued guests.
Sykesville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

An older, somewhat run down property on the edge of the WVU campus. Rooms are small and only moderately clean. Would not stay there again. Not what i expected of a HI.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank beefdoctor
Robert G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Morgantown, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Hampton Inn. We truly appreciate all the feedback we get from our guests. I feel bad you did not get our cookies, the staff here enjoys making cookies so much they make them almost any time day or night. Please come see us again and we will be sure to have warm cookies delivered to your room.
Bangor, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

I came to this hotel due its close vicinity to WVU Evansdale campus. The cab driver from the airport did not know where it was, and he has to call later to find out the exact location. The room is quite small, but kept clean and neat. The complimentary breakfast was good and sufficient. I have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone who wants a clean and convenient hotel close to WVU Evansdale campus. It takes about 15 mins to walk to the campus.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank asiantraveller101
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our Hampton Inn. We enjoy reading comments from someone visiting Morgantown and WVU for the first time. I hope when you return to Morgantown you will stop and introduce yourself, I always enjoy meeting our guests. Thank you.
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

We recently stayed, for one night, at the Morgantown, WV, Hampton Inn. This was a decent hotel. Clean, recently updated, and a good "free" breakfast selection.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goingbeachy
Robert G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Morgantown, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn Morgantown. We strive to make sure every room is clean and comfortable and that you have a memorable experience. Thank you for letting us share that experience with you.
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

I came to this hotel on business, as what 80% of my hotel stays are. Hotel is located right in the heart of WVU, which is great for those traveling for reasons to deal with the university. This hotel was slightly difficult to find, but it is by no means hidden. Upon check-in, I was a little disappointed that I did not receive the usual treatments I do for being a diamond Hilton Honors member. Check in clerk was rather pushy, and I did feel rushed. Both hotel elevators make some pretty disturbing clunking sounds, and make you slightly nervous. My room was the typical updated Hampton decor, however the 3 dead stink bugs on the floor made me raise an eyebrow. Walls are slightly damage and cracking, and some parts of the room look like it had a few too many college parties. There was at least a 1 inch gap under the bottom of the door, anyone who wanted to get on their hands and knees to look in, clearly could. There was an awful squeaking noise coming from the ceiling and being that I was on the top floor I’m assuming it was a piece of roof equipment. However if you are the type who is a light sleeper, it can easily keep you awake at night. One of the mornings, my newspaper that is supposed to be on the door was nowhere to be found.

Breakfast is par for the course with every other Hampton, and was well stocked.

I am a frequent visitor to Hampton Hotels all over the country, and this is the first time I felt compelled to make a review about one. It just isn’t what you expect for the money you pay, and the Hampton name.

Slightly different management approaches and some housekeeping quality control may make a world of difference.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank harliqu1n
Robert G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Morgantown, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
I just want to take a moment and apologize for your recent experience at the Hampton Inn Morgantown. I would like to let you know how sorry I am that I was not aware of your concerns sooner. Please feel free to contact me on your next trip to Morgantown so that I and my staff can show you that your experience was the exception and not the rule. As you are aware at Hampton your Satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed.