“Overpriced, Dirty, Poorly Maintained”

Holiday Inn Express Morgantown
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed May 11, 2014

OK, not my choice to spend my weekend, but I had to attend the WVU graduation this May. First off, $240 a night with AAA is a bit steep, but it is a college town and it was graduation weekend. Well this hotel isn't worth the $40 of that room rate. Generally the hotel is run down. In need of a complete overhaul. We had a two queen bed room on the 2nd floor. The room appeared to be clean, but had a musty smell to it. Finally got the A/C to work and the freshened up the place a bit. The elevator needs work. It is old, slow and a disaster waiting to happen. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel just because I was running late. My wife and kid did and said it was typical HIE. Now the beds... THAT WAS THE WORST BED I have ever had in a hotel. It was worn out 10 years ago when it was installed.

-- Benefits -- A bunch of outdoor 120V outlets for charging your Electric Vehicle or plugging in a block heater in the winter. Close to shopping, restaurants, etc... Friendly front desk staff. Alexis was VERY HELPFUL.

-- Drawbacks -- Dirty, Poor Furnishings, needs paint work, pool work, elevator work and probably a change in corporate flags will be in order soon. OVER PRICED TOO... They suck you in cuz it is in a college town and they know they gotcha...

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Paul_da_Bulldog,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, and the opportunities to work on. I am happy to know that you were pleased with our staff and amenities.

You have identified issues in regard to the room and overall condition of the hotel. With that, I apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. As our valued guest, we thank you for your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to serving you again in your future travels.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Morgantown

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was the worst hotel experience I've ever had. My room was right behind the front desk so it was especially noisy. Every time someone in the next room or the room above me used water, it sounded like someone was beating my door with a leather strap. The laundry room was right across the hall so there was activity all night long with the door open. I had warm but no hot water. And I had to turn the AC down to 60 to get the room comfortable enough to even keep from sweating. It was so miserable and loud the whole night. I told the front desk and they said they would look into it but offered no compassion. I was there for business and have stayed there before with no problem, but I probably will not stay there again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lecia A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear Lecia A,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. We take comments like this very seriously and we would like to follow up with you. I sent you a private message regarding your experience.

I look forward to your response and be of further assistance.

Lera P

Reviewed April 14, 2014

During my checkin on 4/9/14, I learned that no clean rooms were ready. But the young black lady (don't remember name) deeply apologized, allowed me use of the business center to take care of some computer work, provided me with an internet access number and promised to expedite the cleaning of a room. Once the room was ready, she walked the keys over to me and with a smile apologized again. It gets better...
Later that evening, I had to send an important 23-page fax out; it had to be received that night in order to close a real estate contract. Alexis (correct name?) offered to send it out but there was a problem...it didn't initially connect. Because it kept giving her an error, she promised to keep trying until it went through and then drop the original off at my door. She did get it to go through while I was again in the lobby, but wasn't that so nice and professional of her to make all the extra attempts and to offer to drop off the original. I travel a great deal, stay in lots of hotels, but this experience was the nicest I can rember happening to me for many months. Those two ladies make up a strong team and I will always return to that hotel when I'm in the area as a result. Jack Hopwood

Room Tip: Many first floor rooms have accomodations for the handicapped so are roomier.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2014

To start I am disabled and must walk with a cane, my wife and I had reservations for 2 nights( friday and saturday ) - on returning to our room sat. afternoon could not enter our room as the keycard did not work. Went to front desk were they fixed the cards with no apology. Sat. returned to at 12:00 am to find out of order taped to elevator, my room was on 2nd floor and stairs are very hard for me. The young man behind the counter worked on the elevator for one hour but could not get it to work so he said they would pay for a room at another hotel if one was available, the time now is 1:00 am. I turned it down and had to have his help to climb the 2 sets of stairs to get to my room with the king size bed in the shape of a fish bowl. When we checked out the next day not a word was said in apology for the night before. Very poor way to run a business. I will not stay at holiday in again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Greg W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Greg W,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.

Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Travelling across the whole of America staying in different hotels every night and this was one of my favourites. Lovely staff and the manager was incredibly helpful. Well recommended! Pool and gym were clean, as were the rooms and only a short walk to variety of restaurants.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I would highly recommend this hotel!! Room was great and continental breakfast is more like a buffet!! James, the manager at checkout was very nice and helpful, even faxing for me! Hot tub and pool was a nice bonus!! You won't be disappointed here!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Pros - Breakfast, Indoor pool,bed was awesome!! - memory foam lovers rejoice, free internet and premium cable.

Cons - a little noisy as we were by the elevator. Smoky smell on our non-smoking floor hallway. Did not bother me but may bother others.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family