“Don't arrive late on football weekend”

Holiday Inn Express Morgantown
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Going to a college football game for the weekend. Upon arrival, I found out that the front desk clerk had cancelled my reservation without my authorization. I have stayed at this location many times and this has never happened before (including 2 weeks ago). Not real happy when told they could get me a room 69 miles away. Nice place to stay but not if the front desk is irresponsible and inconsiderate.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank escrowe
mgwnn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Football weekends are VERY big in Morgantown and I apologize however if the reservation is made with a credit card that will not authorize or be charged we can not hold the room. We try to call any room that we would cancel but it is not the hotels responsibility to make sure the credit card is good or up to date, There is no way of us knowing that unless we actaully charge it. If it is not valid we must cancel it. If we do not we may end up not selling that room if you do not show up. Calling in and maybe checking to make sure your secured your reservation with a valid credit card is a good idea becuase some guest make the reservations for football weekend a year in advance. Again football weekends are HUGE here because it is a college town, and there will not be a room for many many miles away and there is nothing we can do to prevent that. I hope my explanation helps you and makes you understand our policy a lillte more clearly.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We moved our daughter to her new student housing at West Virginia University. Since we are priority club members we looked for a Holiday Inn in the vicinity. Boy were we pleasantly surprised at the quality of this hotel . Convenient location. Newly renovated, clean and a well stocked complimentary breakfast. Hotel also had an indoor swimming pool, small excercise room and a jaquzzi that was wonderful after a 100 degree day moving boxes and furniture.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Bonnie222
mgwnn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

I love reading reviews such as this.... it makes us feel very happy that you enjoyed your stay. I thank you for taking the time to post such a review. Our staff greatly appreciate it as well. Hope to see you next time that you are in Morgantown.

Reviewed June 21, 2011

worst ever housekeepers yelling and on cell phones also saw 6 bugs in room lots of hair sheets wasnt clean! Dont stay here!!!

Room Tip: at Super 8
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
mgwnn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

Very sorry to hear about your problems at our hotel. However there has been a positive change in housekeeping management, and I believe happiness of employees and guest alike come from management. However I always invite a dissatisfied guest to come speak with me before leaving the property so maybe a resolution to your problem could of been resolved and housekeepers in question would of been addressed. Also feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Reviewed June 9, 2011

I really liked the hotel, my room was nice as well as clean. The bed was very comfortable and breakfast was well done.
However, when checking in, there were 2 young men at the counter and one was just kind of watching the other checking people in but did not appear to be in training since no words were being exchanged. A line had formed for checking in but the other person had no interest in muttering the words of "May I help you?" to the next person in line. Instead, he had to be asked if he was working the counter or not at which point he relied yes and only then helped and without any problems in doing so.
Other than that, my stay was a good one. Just a lack of training for the kids running the counter I assume.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stumbled upon this hotel while we were on the road headed to Baltimore. We are Priority Club members and are very loyal to IHG. We called to see if there were rooms available that night before we showed up and the staff was VERY helpful and answered questions over the phone. When we showed up about a half hour later, he remembered speaking with my husband and got us checked in right away. We even got an upgrade to a business suite! Great customer service front desk staff! The room was spacious and clean...perfect for one night! The hotel is next to lots of hotels, shopping, and restaurants. We were exhausted from driving all day so we just went to a local restaurant then watched TV.
The next morning Housekeeping woke me up. They were knocking on every door it seemed like and yelling down the hall at each other. It was time to get up anyways, so it didn't bother me too much. Our "Do Not Disturb" sign was out, so we continued getting ready and packing. While my husband was in the bathroom, Housekeeping entered our room! She knocked and opened the door before I could get to it (luckily my husband didn't come out of the bathroom). She asked if I knew it was past check out time and I informed her we requested a late check out when we checked in the previous night. She apologized and said Front Desk staff didn't inform them.
And for the record we are also government travelers and had no qualms.

Room Tip: Good location if passing through
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I was there for a week and i must say my best sleep ever was on that bed. Everything was real clean and orderly. It's in a great location at a walking distance from many restaurants and a supermarket. I would most certainly stay here if i ever visit Morgantown again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I had a question for the front desk person (Sam), you would have thought he would have at least been somewhat nice, he is in the hospitality business. when he was extremly rude i asked that he call his general manager. his answer was i don't have his phone number. i wouldn't have asked him to call but Sam became argumentative. By the way the phone call to the hotel was on 3/11/11. Noone should ever subject themselves to this kind of treatment. Do not ever stay here unless you want them to over charge your credit card and then be rude when you try to enquire.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
mgwnn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2011

This guest is VERY mistaken, What they are reffering to is that tis guest checked in and paid cash. Because of cash paying customers not having a way to be liable for smoking, pets, dammage etc..... we require a $150.00 cash deposit OR a DEBIT or c.c. to be authorized for $150.00. Which of the guest is ALWAYS informed. This is just an auth and will fall of on credit cards fairly sooner than a debit card. There is a 12x8 sign on the front desk stating this very thing. The guest called an a friday night at 9:30 pm and the front desk clerk told them I was not available. The guest then asked for my cell phone # and the desk clerk said he could not give it to them. He also informed them hat we would call and fax the bank the current charges and if there was an auth it would of been relaesed. I am very sorry that the guest does not understrand however we DO NOT overcharge and would correct any billing mistake that we have made. I understand that people work hard for thier money and we want to provide a safe relaxing exp for our guest at the rate they were reserved at.