“Trainwreck”

The Dancing Fig
Cuisines: American, Italian, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The Dancing Fig offers to its guest a flavorful array of options stemming from Italian roots and fusing with innovative techniques and tastes. Guests will enjoy inspiring cocktails made with only freshly squeezed citrus and house made ingredients. The Dancing Fig aspires to offer a complete dining experience from expertly trained service staff to tantalizing food, cocktail, and wine.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

As a Chef myself, I can say that the upside is the decor. They spent some cash refurbishing a beautiful bank for dining purposes. However, Lira's menu is a trainwreck. Lira doesn't know what it wants to be. Upscale ding? Sports lounge? The menu is a confusion of various items with no connection. The salads are actually refreshing, while the Meatballs w/ tzatziki is bland and tastless. I will say that the Ratatouilli is the best I've had in years, but they aren't consistant on the menu. International mixed w/ italian, and some dishes are still stuck in 1985. I get the idea that the Chef (if they even HAVE one) has NO control over the kitchen, and the owner impliments his "concepts" without regard for new, inventive ideology. An attempt, yes. I fail, certainly. Overpriced and snooty. The staff have NO idea what's going on in terms of the menu. Don't expect a real explanation of the courses. It's usaully a gussing game. Suggestion: save your money and the headache.

Brandon K, Owner at The Dancing Fig, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Mark,

Thank you for sharing. We're sorry to hear that you haven't enjoyed your experiences with us. Customer satisfaction comes before all else as we strive to impress all of our customers each time they are with us. While we do appreciate your feedback regarding our menu, we're confident that it's built to satisfy our guests.

As for our service, I'm troubled to hear that our staff was not knowledgeable about the menu. We expect all of our servers to be fully aware of what's on the menu in order to serve our customers as best they can. We can imagine how frustrating this can be, but we hope you'll give us another chance. We place great value on the customer experience and would love to impress you this time around. We have what it takes.

Lira Management

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Have only been once, so it could have been that night, but extremely slow service and they were out of an awful lot of things on the menu. Cheese fondue appetizer was too thin/runny and the heat source under it went out when the waitress put it on the table - she saw this and never came back to re-light it. Had a blackened pork loin dish, which was well cooked - quite tender and flavorful - but overall, just not worth it when there are other, better places to eat in Morgantown.

Jessica,

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We aim to serve our customers as best we can, so I'm sure this was simply a rare "off day" for us. Regardless, you should have been served better. Is there anything else you thought we could have done better? Please don't hesitate to reach out.

I hope you'll give us another chance to serve you. I know we have what it takes!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife and I have dined at the Lira, on High Street in Downtown Morgantown, three times this past year. Every time the experience has been positive. First, the menu has offerings not found at other restaurants: For example, fondue, which was very good. How about fritters? Just had that last night with some Italian wedding soup. Both very good with a Sam Adams Boston lager. Wife had a salad, which she loved. There are lots of others that I want to try, such as the triage of dips, which includes olive tapenade, banana pepper giardiniere, and white bean pate; and the Hungarian meatballs and tzatziki.
The service is very good and it's a nice environment (used to be a bank, so there's seating in the vault).
As many know, downtown Morgantown has, during the past 10 years, become a student bar scene - mostly, but not totally. The Lira is bucking the trend in this regard. A nice place with good food and friendly service.

Brandon K, Owner at The Dancing Fig, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thanks for your review! I'm happy to hear that you and your wife have had such good experiences with us. Everything goes down a bit better with a nice lager, doesn't it?

Have you been back to try the Triage of Dips yet? I hope your positive experiences keep coming! See you soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Lira has an extenstive menu, and nightly specials I can never pass up, I never pass up a chance to dine here, and have been extreamly happy with my dinners, desserts, and portions.

Thanks for the review. I'm happy your sons birthday dinner here was a success! Do you have any favorite dishes? Thanks for being such a loyal customer--I hope you continue to dine here whenever you get the chance! See you soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We've been here twice and were not impressed either time. The food is expensive for serving sizes, it's too noisy to have a conversation, the food is Ordinary. It sounds better on the muenu than it is.

Vicki_conner,

We're sorry to hear that you weren't satisfied with your meals here. What have you ordered? Customer satisfaction is crucial to us, so we'd like to hear more about your experiences in order to improve in the necessary areas. As for our prices, we're confident they are consistent with the quality and amount of food we offer. If you want a dish with larger portions, we'd suggest Fish & Chips, Jerk Pork Tips, or Zucchini Ratatouille. Thanks for the feedback.

We hope you'll give us another chance to impress you. We rarely receive negative reviews about our food like this, so if you came back in, I'm confident you'd be satisfied with your meal. If you need a menu suggestion, please don't hesitate to reach out. Take care.

Lira Management