“Top-notch food.”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Barrie, Canada
“Top-notch food.”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I visited this spot on the evening Friday May 4th with my two teenage daughters. We ordered appitezers, pizza and salad and each item exceeded our expectations. We're not beer drinkers, so I cannot comment on that. The place was packed - lots of families and lots of university students so it was fairly noisy. The service was fast and friendly. The only oddity I noted was that the entree menu is 1/2 oven baked pizza, 1/2 oven baked sandwiches. The sandwiches are not available in the evening because they do not have enough oven space/time.

• Visited May 2012

Shaker Heights, OH
“Great food, OK beer, decent atmosphere”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Awesome outdoor deck, but somehow they allowed a patron to bring a little dog up. It kept barking, which was insanely obnoxious. Everyone told me how great the sangria was, but they were out. I'm not sure how a restaurant runs out of something they're famous for on a slow Tuesday night, but whatever. The beer was passable.

Visited May 2012
Grand Prairie, Texas
“This is Morgantown”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Located in the Wharf area of Morgantown, I ended up here all three days of my recent visit - my first ever in the state of West Virginia.
The place is unassuming from the outside, and even moreso on the inside. Bare concrete floors, A-frame wooden horse stable chairs in the bar, and a big stone oven in the middle of the dining room. Obviously, this is not a place that plans to build a reputation on superficialities and chain-store chotchkies. Great beer, great food, friendly service, and a great view of Th Mon from a new deck.
I was not expecting a drink special on a Friday night, but low and behold, Mountain State's porter was going for $1.50 a pint. It was outstanding. All three or four of them. I was with a group and we got two pizzas to share. I remember Fire on the Mountain - the table's hands-down favorite,with pepperoni, sausage, smoked mozerella, onions and peppers and a little heat to it. Once we polished off both pizzas and we decided to have a few more slices, we opted for a small Fire on the Mountain instead of venturing out to try a third. It was that good.
The second pizza was a "Cuban ..."-something and had pulled pork and bar-b-q sauce. That was outstanding! We learned that the pork is actually slow-cooked overnight in the pizza ovens. Very thin crust with excellent smoky taste and crunchy texture. These pizzas are cooked in a stone kiln that is in excess of 800 degrees. They cook fast, but obviously not as fast as many reviewers here will want - especially on a busy night. Still, it's about as quick as any other pizza place around.
For desert a couple of us shared a homemade banana pudding, and that put this place over the top.
On my first night, on my own, I went on the outside deck overlooking the Monongahela River. I was told that it had opened just the previous week. It was a sunny, beautiful day and there couldn't have been a better place to enjoy a beer. The staff of bartenders were extremely warm and engaging and rounded out a great experience.
If I find myself anywhere near Morgantown, WV - I will find an excuse to make it over to Mountain State Brewing Co.

1 Thank Fletch32
“Loved it so much the first time, I ate there the next night”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was in Morgantown as a solo woman on business. I felt very comfortable eating there.

The first night, I had one of the pizzas on special - a sausage and ramp pizza in a white sauce. I really, really loved it. I ate one slice over 50% and took the rest back to my hotel. The next night, I returned for a take-out of their summer salad - mixed greens with pickled apples, feta, nuts, in a raspberry vinagrette. Very tasty, and went well with the left-over pizza from the night before.

The beer was absolutely wonderful. If I lived there, I'd eat there probably weekly.

One thing I regret not having was the flatbread dessert pizza with brie and summer berries.

However - avoid the banana pudding - yukky. The cream was that nasty chemical fake stuff, and the pudding consistency was artificial and very off-putting. Shame, but as they did everything else right, I forgive them.

West Virginia
“Good Beer on the Rail Trail”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Nice brew pub with big brick oven in the middle of the restaurant. Patio right on the rail trail. Small menu. Pizzas are good. Try the beer sampler first.