“Great experience!”
Review of Golden Finch - CLOSED

Golden Finch
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

I went to the "Golden Finch" and had a particularly enjoyable experience! It was on a Sunday afternoon with my family. The breakfast selections were clearly explained and all questions were answered by our well spoken server! Give this gem a try if ever you want a cozy atmosphere with fantastic food and great service!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Applaud the effort to be different and have a unique menu. Lots of different types of food to select. Crab soup was tasty but nothing special. The chicken with portabella and ghocci was somewhat drowning in the balsamic sauce. Others seemed to enjoy their shrimp and grits and the veal special. Wait staff was very attentive and did a nice job.

For the price points i would expect a finer appointment of flatware and napkins and the tables are very narrow which makes you feel like you are on the other person's lap.

The dining experience was ok but nothing special.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We went to the Golden Finch for our 11th anniversary. I ordered the Creole shrimp and grits and my husband ordered the fillet special. I am huge shrimp and grits fan and I was not let down! The service was excellent! Go out and support this local restaurant with some urban flair

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I went with a friend on July 31, 2012. My guess is this is a bar, even though it looks like a restaurant. Although located on High Street among many bars, based on the atmosphere and a recommendation from a local, I was expecting real food. The menu looks great! I ordered the garlic soup as an appetizer and the Green Goddess salad with chicken added as my entree. The soup had whole garlic cloves and I was so disappointed when I crunched into the cloves--raw. Some of the cloves were softer and gave the delicious smash, but most of the cloves were far from soft. I did not finish my soup. I made it halfway through the salad because I was so hungry, but then I gave up. I tried to figure out which part was giving the strong "fish" taste. I narrowed it down to the dressing, served in a ramekin on the side. But once I stopped using the dressing, the definite taste of the canned chicken, possibly old, was overwhelming (previously covered by the fish taste). The beautiful chunks of avocado were hard (not ripe), and the mandarin oranges were your basic canned mandarin oranges. The tomatoes were not ripe either and despite it being summer tomato season at the moment, it is unfortunately common to have poor tasting tomatoes in restaurants. Overall, a very disappointing meal.
Service was good. The waitress brought out bread, olive tapenade and butter as a starter. The bread was fresh, the olive tapenade tasty, and the whipped butter smooth. I had high expectations and was sorely disappointed.
In town for 2 weeks, I will not be eating here again, though it is conveniently located near the Clarion Hotel Morgan. Today I had the best pad thai I've had in a while at Chaang Thai a little father down the street and am just waiting to highly rate Chaang Thai! Yum!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

A bit pricy and the quality is not consistent but we like the owners and always prefer to patronize local places instead of chains. Staff is friendly, offers interesting specials.