“Poor Service & Bad Wine”

Forks of Cheat Winery
Ranked #3 of 36 things to do in Morgantown
Honolulu, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Poor Service & Bad Wine”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

When I looked up things to do near Morgantown this was one of the highlighted activities to do while here. My hubby & I are definitelt wine-o's and thought this would be fun to experience with my father who was visiting town. We had saw on their website that they offered tastings and food to purchase on their "tasting deck." It was a sunny day and thought that it would be great to enjoy some wine and a few snacks overlooking the hills and vineyard.
When we arrived we walked into the store. I said hello to the man working and told him we were intrested in tasting a few wines and possibly grabbing something to eat out on the deck. His answer was, "You cant bring your own food...there's food in the fridge." Then, he turned away. Im left standing there perplexed by what just happened. I try to brush it off and look around for some wines to taste and see one that I am unfamiliar with. I return to the register and ask the gentleman what type of wine it is or what type of grapes is it made from. He says he doesnt know!!!
At that point I am irritated and frustrated. I purchase a wine to bring home and taste at my leisure and in a better environment. I get home and the wine is DISGUSTING! Damn, I wasted my money and time! It would have been better if the wine was at least decent, I mean Im all about supporting small businesses and local products, but I just couldnt even drink it. I ended up tossing the bottle. Unfortunately, this place had given me a bad taste in my mouth figurtively & literally!

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Maria B

Cape Coral
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Surprising things you took for granted when younger.”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

A couple years ago, when hosting our wine club, we decided the theme would be "Wines from your home state." To explain why that, we are retired in Florida and our club of thirty couples have members from over twenty states (if you count Canadien provinces as states.)
Not only was the party a great success, I was astonished to discover so many great wines. Who knew Missouri and Wisconsin had such good wine. (We included two great winerys from Michigan where we also have lived.)
So, whenever you get the urge for some really great football or basketball take a trip to Morgantown. (Or if you want to visit your 91 year-old Mother.) While there, take some time to drive five miles north of town to Forks of Cheat. It is two miles off of route 119.
Their "Spice" is great for Christmas time and their Merlot (2009) and others are quite good. Spend some time in the tasting pavilion. The people of Morgantown are warm and friendly.

Visited March 2012
Adams County, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not what I expected.”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to check out this winery. It was small but had beautiful views. The wine was displayed nicely enough but no prices. We looked around and asked a few questions but had to practically pull teeth to get a taste of anything. The man giving the samples was very busy but did stop to pour a few samples. He was knowledgeable but there was no interest in what we were looking for or helping us find our favorite taste. Another man came in and poured himself a glass of wine right in front of us but did not speak to us. We purchased almost $100 worth of wine and left feeling like it didn't matter to them if we stopped by or not. Like we were interrupting.

The colors outside were odd and the unique gifts upstairs were interesting but odd as well.

Two days later at the local Kroger we found the same wine we just bought at the winery for $3-$5 a bottle LESS than what we paid. Also odd.

The wine is good but not that good - we won't go back to the winery but may pick up a bottle of chocolate wine at Kroger,

Visited February 2012
1 Thank marriedmomof2
“I love this winery!”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Charming comes to mind when I describe my visit to Forks of Cheat Winery. The owners were wonderfully accomodating and knowledgable. I can't wait to go back in summer, sit on their sweet deck overlooking the valley, sip some wine and eat cheese. Delicious wines, nice gift shop, too.

Visited January 2012
Hanover, Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Small, but great personal attention”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Follow the road signs carefully, and when you get here you'll find a small tasting area with excellent service and a nice selection of affordable wines.