“Friendly and Helpful Staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Morgantown
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Syracuse, New York, United States
“Friendly and Helpful Staff”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

One of the better hotels in the area for a reasonable price. Clean rooms.Many shops in the area and minutes from downtown Morgantown.Real close to the football and basketball stadiums.We have stayed a few times due to the fact our son attends WVU

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Brewster, New York
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I came down to Morgantown to watch my daughters college meet against WV. The hotel was only 10 minutes from the WVU pool. The hotel was very close to many stores and buffalo wild wings was next door. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very large and very clean. My only negative thing about the hotel were the beds and pillows. The bed was very hard and the pillows were not comfortable at all. Their was one type of pillow. Big and bulky. I know in other hotels they have several types of pillows and it's nice to have different options. Other than my personal preference I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lynchamongo65
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We made reservations through Hilton's mobile site on our way through the area on I-79. This property was a bit far off of the interstate, but I imagine for travelers who are coming for events at WVU, this would be a perfect location. Parking was inconvenient. We checked in late and - although the parking lot is very well lit - we felt a bit unsafe as we walked from the back of the building to the front desk. Not to mention it was bitterly cold!! Once inside, however, everything was great. Front desk staff....Trevor in particular....was wonderful. Any company that needs to train their employees on exceptional customer service should use Trevor as a textbook example of great service. The room was standard...nothing too out of the ordinary. I have found other HGI properties to be nicer with finer bed linens, duvets, and pillows (we had to go to our car in the middle of the night to get our own pillows because the ones provided were so uncomfortable). Despite these issues, we had a fine night's sleep. Room was quiet and TV/Internet were very nice and state of the art. Our room (and the property in general) was spotless. Our only real bad experience came in the morning when we went downstairs to eat breakfast. We had booked a bed & breakfast deal online and would not normally have eaten at the hotel restaurant were it not for that special. When we got down there, we were sitting for 7 minutes before being greeted (only one other table was occupied).The service was mediocre at best, but the food was excellent. I highly recommend the French Toast!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel is really great when it comes to its food, attentive staff and location. It offers a complimentary shuttle service which will drive you to anyplace in morgantown aslong as you book in advance. the front desk staff like Savvanah and Alex etc, are really helpful and will offer directions and tour advices at the best of their abilities.
I usually lock my bags before leaving them at any hotel, which i did with the exception being my laptop bag, guess what? Someone stole my hard disk there, I assume its the cleaning staff obviously.

Verdict: great hotel, cleaning staff are thiefs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Having stayed many nights in Morgantown over the years, I was glad to see a new hotel go in. I like the Hilton brand and this Hilton Garden Inn did not disappoint. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the room was nice and clean, though the hallways did have an off smell to it. Overall I would recommend someone to stay here, and I would again as well. As a drawback, the parking lot seemed odd and not very big or intuitive.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a great choice in Morgantown. It's new, clean and close to restaurants.

Like the other Hilton hotels we've stayed in, they have horrible pillows that are flat and make for a poor night's sleep.

We don't normally eat at hotels, but they gave us coupons for the breakfast buffet. Even if we had a pay it would have been a good deal. $10 for all you can eat hot and cold buffet. There was fruit, cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, and made to order eggs, pancakes, etc.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel while in Morgantown for a friend's mother's funeral. The room I was assigned had a weird smell, like some sort of combination of sweat and cheap perfume. I didn't ask to switch rooms because I had requested a quiet room not overlooking the HVAC units (per another reviewer here on TripAdvisor) and the front desk clerk told me that my request was "off-putting" when she checked me in. She said that she originally *had* assigned me a room on the 1st floor near the HVAC units but she would switch me to the 5th floor instead. So after dealing with that, I didn't want to seem unappreciative and ask for a room change yet again.

To try to remedy the odor situation, I ran the bathroom fan for several hours with the door open. This actually helped a lot. I also ran the fan on the heating unit. By the time I was ready to go to sleep (about 1:00 am, or about seven hours after I checked in), the smell had mostly dissipated. The only problem was that when I got under the covers in bed, the sheets themselves were permeated with the odor I had just tried to remove from the air. Yuck!

On the positive side, my stay did have some good qualities:

- Other than the odor, the room was very clean. The bathroom was spotless.
- The hotel location was convenient to a lot of food options within walking distance.
- My room was very quiet - I didn't hear any noise at all.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't stay here again myself but it's possible that someone staying in a different room might have a better experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room *not* on the fifth floor. You don't want to take a chance being assigned a room t...