“Clean, Convenient, and Friendly”

Clarion Hotel Morgan
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Ohio
“Clean, Convenient, and Friendly”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed one night at the Clarion Hotel Morgan while in town for the Deckers Creek Trail Half Marathon. I lodged here for the same race two years ago as well. Both visits were great!

The Facility: The building is old; historic, in fact. Some may be scared off by this, but I welcome the opportunity to stay in atypical hotels. Overall it is an interesting building that is well preserved.

Parking: FREE valet parking! Yes, FREE! I walked everywhere when I checked in, but upon check out the service was quick. I hope I gave the employee a decent tip. He had the car cooled and ready for me, at the door, within minutes.

My Room: I found my room to be very clean and spacious! The furnishings were a little tired, and there were a few minor cosmetic blemishes, such as a scratched armoire, a piece of wallpaper that was peeling, and a foggy window with a broken seal. I read reviews and didn't go into the experience expecting a new, pristine environment. I was not disappointed, although it would have been nice to see out the window.

Breakfast: I was happy to find that the breakfast started early enough (6:30 AM, I think) for me to grab a quick bite before dashing off for the race. The food was average. It served its purpose. I think I ate a muffin and a yogurt, while sipping decent hotel coffee.

Location: Fabulous! It's a 5 minute walk to the riverfront park and to the beautiful trail that's part of the race course. The hotel is also about a 5 minute walk from downtown Morgantown, offering food, shops a brewery, and other businesses. I loved the proximity to the park where shuttles took runners to the starting line. I was able to pick up my race packet, hustle back to my room to store the race shirt, and make it back in time to catch the shuttle.

Staff: Very friendly and helpful! The guys at the front desk gave me accurate walking directions to the park, the trail, and the downtown area. They assisted me in setting up the internet connection, and they were extremely apologetic when my key didn't work after the race.

Value: I was able to get a discounted rate for the race. At the price I payed, the value was great! I'm not sure how different my special event rate was from the typical rate.

I would definitely stay here again for this event, and would recommend it to out of town runners as well.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have windows facing 2 directions - mine had a view of the river.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Madison, Indiana
Reviewed June 20, 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the location within walking distance to orientation at WVU. The staff was friendly and accommodating. This is an older building and the rooms are what you would expect. Our room was comfortable and we enjoyed a great nights sleep. The hotel provided a parking pass, which was like winning the golden ticket!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Went for WVU orientation for 2 nights. First room on arrival was rejected because of the door that would not close from the outside. The table lamp also would not stay lit. Second room was fine. Only one bar of soap for sink and shower. Given a discount for one night because of door issue but charged for a safe that we did not ask for and did not need. There is a sign at check in but since we did not see it, it was surprising and a rip off. Breakfast ok. No yogurt or fresh fruit although there was something wrapped up in a basket. No breakfast staff for a Monday morning. You could make a waffle. Hotel atmosphere is somewhat ala Bates Motel. Dark wood throughout. Parking a short walk away. Not offered valet but that's fine. Location is what is selling. Walking distance great for the school although a lot of uphill walking. New restaurant across the street which was great (Iron Horse). Coffee maker not restocked and cup left dirty and untouched.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed there one night. The sheets and the blanket had blood stains and were not washed. The staff quickly changed the sheets and mentioned that they would give a discount. However, at check out none as given. Next time, we will stay somewhere else.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aselca2015

Travelers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Elizabeth, WV
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Historic beautiful hotel. Clean, very nice rooms and friendly staff. In a great location within walking distance of downtown points of interest. The restaurant and lobby pub has great hours. Nice bath. This is my second time here and would love to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ellenjellen
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We recently stayed at the Hotel Morgan. It is an old building but the modern upgrades are good. There were plenty of outlets, which is not always present in an old building. The location is challenging due to the one-way streets in Morgantown, but the free valet parking minimizes the problem of parling. The complimentary breakfast was good and the hotel was clean. We found the bathroom to be large and well appointed. The bed was comfortable, and even though the age of the building made a window heat/AC unit necessary, it worked well and was fairly quiet. The big plus was the staff. The front desk clerk was very helpful asdn informative, and knowledgeable about the hotel. It turned out that I had stayed there when my sister first went to WVU, some 50 years ago. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Charlie A
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed here being caught in a snowstorm on our way home from Disney. Learned that it is a very historic hotel, Eleanor Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, Truman and Kennedy's have stayed here. Nice young men working there....seemed like university students. The room was fine, beds not all that comfortable. Booked through priceline so had a look at reviews after the fact. I thought it was weird that they didn't play up the history or try to restore the entire hotel. Looks like it had a renovation a long while ago. I just find it strange that Clarion doesn't seem to know the value of what they have there as it is a bit rundown. lol saw that it was said to be haunted too if you believe that sort of thing. Didn't have a very restful night, just because I didn't find the bed that comfortable and not because of things that go bump in the night. Complimentary breakfast and another nice university student.....very nice and helpful in the breakfast room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family