“3.5 stars”

Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I bid on this hotel for the price, not knowing which hotel I was getting before it was booked. I had researched enough to know the three star hotels in Morgantown would be sufficient for what I needed and didn't look too scary. :) This one has definitely got character that you don't just find in any chain hotel. I had gotten some idea with the pictures but the feel of it while there is also different, in a mostly good way.

Our room was on the third floor and the view was facing another building. I wasn't sure about the room at first. It is obviously older but there were gaps between wall and ceiling in some spots and the shades were in serious need of replacement. The valance on one of the windows was sagging (an easy fix) which added to the unpolished look of the room. The windows could use an upgrade too although I appreciated that they actually opened more than a few inches. The décor was fairly appropriate to the hotel although not my style.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was in good condition and looked nice. I liked the fridge and microwave being available, always a plus.

Our housekeeping unfortunately wasn't the greatest. It didn't feel terribly clean and perhaps it was the desk that was smudged and not wiped properly when we checked in that gave me that impression. Although I generally felt it could've been cleaner. We were there two nights and our second day the bare minimum was done. No bed making, the floor could've used a vacuum, the table and desk a wipe down, etc. I'm just used to that level of housekeeping. It didn't really bother me but I wonder if we had stayed longer how it would've been.

I used the gym one day and it was a nice set up. The Lower Level is well taken care of and the gym is pretty sufficiently equipped although they could use smaller weights below 20 pounds. It also had no AC but wasn't stifling. The breakfast, which I read some complaints about, was a very good selection. Depending on the day they had eggs, bacon, rosemary potatoes, waffle maker, sausage and biscuits plus yogurt, fruit, cereal, English muffins, donuts, bagels, etc. A very adequate selection.

I didn't try the restaurant although I would like to sometime. They are closed on Sundays so we ended up ordering take out from Tailpipes. It was a nice 15 minute roundtrip walk amongst the college students. There are quite a few restaurant choices in that area; the location is a plus.

I think the only thing I've not mentioned is the staff, and they were all pleasant enough to deal with. All in all, it was a great deal for the money and I would stay there again. My teenage daughter enjoyed it as well, giving it four stars.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
RobynAbrahamGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Morgan, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Thank-you for taking the time to leave a review concerning your recent stay with us. My name is Robyn Abraham, the new General Manager. We are currently updating our rooms while maintaining the distinct elegance that Clarion Hotel Morgan has always had.
I apologize that you experienced an issue with housekeeping and want to assure you we have implemented the changes needed to deliver exceptional guest service to you, our most valuable guest. If I can assist you in anyway please contact me direct at 304-292-8200 or my cell 304-695-8708.

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Morgan

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Warning: On north side of the building is an alley. At the front of the alley, directly under my room,302, metal plates cover a trench across the alley. The plates look like a "permanent" road fix by the city. The clank-clank when cars cross the plates, which they do frequently at all hours, is awful. Major sleep disruption. It took me several days to dope this out. Until the city (or whoever) decides on a fix, I'd certainly not stay in 302 or any other room on the north side. I'd also be assuming a risk on the south side rooms.

Aside from that issue, this is an interesting property. The hotel was built in 1925. The lobby and the main dining room on the first floor, apparently only used for special events, are really cool. I like historic properties, and his would be one. The front is obvisouly missing some ornamentation, but you could overlook that. On the plus side, the matress was very comfortable, the AC worked fine, the bathroom worked fine (though no sink stopper), it was very clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. In the basement (LL) was a nice workout room and a computer room, with two computers, one which worked fine. On the minus side, the decor is awful (mustard yellow paint), the furniture cheap (matress excepted), and most everything looks worn. No place to buy breakfast nearby - there's a little bakery/deli off the lobby, but forget about that. I did not try the high-priced restaurant on the top floor, which is open for dinner.

Parking (free) is on the surface about 1.5 blocks away, or across the street. No complaints about that.

In the right place with the clientel to support it, the Hotel Morgan could be a gem. Would I go back? No, not unless the alley noise issue is taken care of.

Room Tip: Only on the south side and high (odd numbered rooms, I think) until the north side alley is satisfac...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Roycal

Thank-you for taking the time to do a review of our property. My name is Robyn Abraham, the new General Manager of Clarion Hotel Morgan. I sincerely apologize for the noise caused by the metal plates that cover the trench across the alley. I will be looking into what options we may have to correct this issue for our future guest's,.
We are currently updating our rooms while maintaining the elegant character of our historic property. While our parking areas are within close walking distance and we giving parking passes, we do offer valet parking for any guest that should need this assistance. Our goal is to deliver exceptional service to every guest, leaving them with a wow moment that sets us apart from our competition. It was truly a pleasure to have you and I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to serve you again. If I can assist you in anyway, please do contact me direct at 304-292-8200 or my cell phone at 304-695-8708.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

A turn of the century property which was clearly once the grande dame of Morgantown, the hotel IS dated but clean, comfortable, and boasts good service.

VERY centrally located, it's right in the center of downtown. Room was very clean, and breakfast was good and plentiful, as well as included!

Overall, if my plans called for an inexpensive stay in Morgantown, I'd absolutely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thanks so much for your great review! Delivering exceptional service to you, our valuable guest is what it's all about....After all, where would we be without you? Our staff loves serving our guest's and giving them that positive experience that brings you back year after year. It was certainly a pleasure to have you and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. If I can assist you in any way please contact me direct at 304-292-8200 or my cell 304-695-8708.

Clarion Hotel Morgan.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you like a little old world sort of charm and don't mind the creaking floors, musty smell and dated appearance that comes with it, this is your place. On the other hand, if you like everything new and state of the art, run far, far away.

Overall, everything was clean. The room was very large - it had a king sized bed, a sitting area, a large entryway, and a fridge/microwave.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
RobynAbrahamGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Morgan, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Thank-you for your review of your recent stay with us. My name is Robyn Abraham, the new General Manager of Clarion Hotel Morgan, It was truly pleasure to have you. We are currently updating many areas of our hotel and making necessary improvements to better serve you,our most valuable guest. If I can assist you in any way please contact me directly at 304-292-8200 or my cell at 304-695-8708.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

...for the price. As others mention, the hotel has been upgraded, but isn't clean. There was a previous occupant's spilled food on the coffee table? The curtains had rips in them. Seem like easy fixes to me. I'll go elsewhere on my next visit.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

I wish to thank-you for the opportunity to hear about your recent stay with us. My name is Robyn Abraham, the new General Manager of Clarion Hotel Morgan. We are currently in the middle of updating many areas of our hotel including our rooms. I apologize that your stay was not up to our standards and ensure you that we are addressing the housekeeping issues you experienced. I sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again so we can deliver you exceptional guest service that we pride ourselves in delivering. If you will contact me direct at 304-292-8200 or my cell 304-695-8708 I will gladly assist you.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My son and I were in Morgantown for Freshman orientation at WVU. We wanted a hotel near his downtown dorm and this was about the only choice. Excellent location, recently renovated rooms, easy parking but overall disappointing.
The hotel suffers from a severe lack of maintenance. It looks like nothing's really been cleaned here for a year. Lobby was nice but musty- rooms had water stains on the mirrors and picture frames. I found a a dirt spot on a bath towel but aside from that, the room was fine. Ours had a sofa bed but it wasn't made up. When I called down to the desk I was told the sheets were in a drawer- no blanket... kind of annoying. Worst was that no one made up our room for our second night! We got the feeling the only person working thee entire building was the desk clerk.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KenTrot
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed here one night before I ran a half marathon. I loved the antique look to the lobby with all the dark wood! I love a place with character and history. Check in was a breeze and while parking is not immediately at the hotel (valet is available but we didn't use it) we found it plenty convenient. For the price, (we did get a runner's special) the room was very comfortable and spacious. The king bed was comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was your typical hotel continental breakfast with a waffle iron, breads, cereal, yogurt, and hard boiled egg. I was able to find enough options to fuel my run! An extra bonus was that the nice guy at the desk let us check out a bit late so I could have a post-run shower before heading home. Heaven! I would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for all around good value, hospitality, and convenience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family