“Old world charm”

Clarion Hotel Morgan
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were a little nervious about checking into this hotel the lobby was awesome! but we were unsure of the rooms. We asked the man at the front desk if we could preview a room before making our decision. They showed us room 601 and it was the best of both worlds! Old charm with modern renovations! Lots of wood and history in this building!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here only one night - overnight on our way to our vacation destination. The room was large and clean, but old. The rest of the hotel, the lobby and entrance were old and needed a good cleaning. the chandeliers in the entry were covered with dust that looked to be decades old - they didn't sparkle and shine like chandeliers should. The whole hotel (except the room) needed a deep dusting and cleaning; updating and new paint jobs wouldn't hurt, either. We had a couple of drinks in the lobby bar and it looked o.k. A basic breakfast was included in our rate, which we weren't expecting.

We stayed here because it was so convenient to downtown where we could walk to restaurants. This is the only hotel that is located downtown if this is important to you, and the room was clean, but everything else was not what we expected. This hotel was probably a grand place in its day, but not today and that's a shame. I rated this hotel as average because of the clean room and the location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My daughter and I went to visit and tour WVU and wanted to stay near the campus...I did not see another hotel closer to the downtown area..there are many shops and restaurants on High Street as well and only a half mile walk to the campus..I would definitely stay there again. Also the hotel is very close to the WVU visitors center on the waterfront...so after a nice continental breakfast we literally got to our 9:30 am tour in 7 minutes.

Room Tip: we had a room overlooking the river...room was at the end of the hall and had windows on two walls...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Friendly staff, great location... But to say its been renovated????..must have been in 60's...or id be terrified to know what it looked like before renovation.

The hotel is not a little tired its in an all out coma. Go to Waterfront or Euro Suites....not as convenient but well cared for properties.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 4, 2013

friendly staff, clean rooms. nice ole cozy hotel . my favorite place to stay in Morgantown. when i go on a road trip out of Pittsburgh to see my favorite bands play at 123 Pleasant, i always stay at the Clarion Hotel Morgan.

Room Tip: they are all good.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2013

this is a very beautiful old hotel. choice hotels did a wonderful job renovating it! the only draw back is the parking. we had a park a distance from the hotel. the deisk clerk came up to the room and turned up the heat for us prior to when my dad and i got the room with our suitcases.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Francie C
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Last minute booking due to weather. Wasn't scheduled to go to Morgantown until the next day when I had an overnight conference at the Waterfront Hotel (more on that in a minute) A coming snowstorm persuaded me to leave the night before. I was the last guest to check in for the night and was greeted by name at the desk. The lobby is full of beautiful hardwood paneling, very classy. I didn't see much of the hotel other than the lobby, my room, and the coffee shop the next morning. My room was quite pleasing. When I first walked in I saw an old, but well taken care room, then I realized there was also a sofa and big screen TV and fridge. After I checked in I was able to walk just a couple of blocks to a variety of places to choose from to have a drink. Whether a college dance club, Buffalo Wild wings, or a quiet Ale House is your style, it was all right there just a few blocks away. The block the Hotel sits on is very quiet.
The next morning, I realized I had forgotten dress socks and hairspray, but no worry, there is a Dollar General on the next block. Stopped in the coffee shop on the way out the door and had a cup hot cup of Starbuck's to warm me up on the snowy morning I woke up to. Also grabbed a couple delicious little flaky pastries with cream cheese filling, just enough to settle my stomach until I got to my next venture.
My reason for being in Morgantown was a two-day event at the Waterfront Place Hotel. I had already had a room booked there during the conference, so when I decided to go to Morgantown a day early, I called the Waterfront first to add on a night. However the price of a room there was going to be nearly $75 more than a night at The Hotel Morgan. (My room at The Waterfront had been paid for and booked for me, so the price was quite a suprise) The Waterfront Hotel is pretty... because it's new. The internet access requires you to sit at the desk in your room (no wireless) and there is no mini-fridge (big turn-off for me, if you're traveling, you're going to be eating out, if you're eating out on the company's budget, you're gonna have leftovers)
I don't know how ammenities stack up, but I'm a value shopper. I don't need a fancy pool or weight room or business center. I just needed somewhere clean and safe to sleep with internet. I would choose The Clarion Hotel Morgan again anytime I'm traveling to Morgantown.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business