“European flavor” 4 of 5 bubbles

Radford, Virginia
“European flavor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

2 week business trip August 2012
For a European experience, this historic hotel is wonderful. Just do not expect a new hotel or the best service. Some front desk staff were absolutely wonderful. Others were curt and unhelpful. Housekeeping was less than desirable.
Once I was over the discomfort of finding my room unlocked (housekeeping had not pulled the door shut) and discovered no items were missing, I recalled the tripadvisor review indicating this known problem (I did laugh later). I reported the incident to the front desk and was told "it's an old hotel and the doors do not always shut properly". This is not acceptable. Either fix the doors, or ensure that the staff are double or triple checking the guest rooms.
Housekeeping continually did not replace the coffee in room and I had to ask at the front desk several times for coffee for the next day and the coffee pot was never cleaned once. Also, towels were not always replenished even if dirty ones were taken. The housekeeping never seemed to "forget" to take the daily cash tip. Seems like housekeeping staff would benefit from a checklist.
Lockable safe in room (nice bonus, especially considering the door problem).
Rooms were quiet as the constant air conditioning noise acted as a white noise machine.
Parking is a small block away and requires a hanging permit from the hotel (covered would be nice, but parking is a premium in the area so this lot was great).
Location on High Street offers many restaurant options. I was unaware of the top floor restaurant (Montmartre) until the last night of my 2 week stay. Wish I had discovered it sooner as it was delicious and they do room service! In house breakfast is pretty standard (waffle maker, cereal, eggs, fruit, etc.).
Overall, a good experience, but the hotel would benefit from staff improvements.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Irene C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Warrenville, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hotel was in the downtown area near campus - plenty to walk to. It is an old building, but, fairly well maintained. We were issued a king room on the seventh floor and it had a very nice view. The weather was nice, so we opened the windows (but there were no screens - but bugs were not a problem). The hotel was not very full, and we were very tired, so it was quiet. If the hotel was full, I would be a bit concerned about noise. The room was adequately clean. The hot water in the shower was fine (but again...being in an old building, I might worry if the hotel were full...they could pack a lot of people in this place and there was a banquet room for weddings). There were two elevators, but were slower. Parking was accross the street in a lot (we were given a tag to put in the window).

We had the continental breakfast on the mezzanine level - waffles, two bins of hot food, some pastries, oatmeal packs, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee - a more typical Choice Hotel breakfast.

I would probably give this a 3.5 or 3.75...but as you know, Trip Advior only allows for round numbers. I probably wouldn't want to stay here for a long trip, but for a night, we were happy. You need to throw out your "new hotel" expectations, and realize you are staying in an older building in the downtown area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
White Plains, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Morgan while touring WVU. I have to admit that I was a little scared at first; there really is no town to speak of, the hotel didn't look so great from the outside, and we had no other options. Happily, the room was clean and we were amazed that the restaurant on the 8th floor of the hotel was great!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa C
Morgantown, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel Morgan is beautiful hotel, it isn't that expensive and the rooms are very clean and home like. I use my triple A card to get a better rate, but it is nice for special occasions or if your enjoying the night life of downtown Morgantown.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd of 4th floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Wayne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

This past weekend had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Morgan in Morgantown, WV. Why would anyone go to Morgantown? Well, I wondered that as well as this hotel was booked to the max. Our son is attending grad school there in the fall and we needed to find him a place to live (he tried on his own, but...). Lovely OLD hotel with quite possibly the friendliest staff, although extremely soft spoken. We booked a king with pull out (son staying with us) and asked if there was a double so he would not have to sleep on a pull out and they found us one! 4th floor end of hallway. Had the BEST refrigerator (everything so cold it almost froze and refroze our blue cooler for our travel cooler just in the fridge.) Negs. Beds a bit uncomfortable and wall paper coming off the walls. Sofa a bit uncomfortable and toilet like those in europe off the wall literally. But that being said, the room airconditioner worked very well in the 100!!+ heat and the sink is separate from the toilet shower so someone could brush teeth while someone takes a shower. Con there - to put on the fan in the bathroom one must also use the heat lamp? Odd in a quirky sort of way. Great for walking all those hilly areas to restaurants and to the University - good central location. They should NOT do their so called breakfast as it is NOT a breakfast at all. Brown water, a lovely old woman manning a waffle machine (?), a few donuts and a few bagels (by a few I mean a few) and not good at that and a few yogurts. So can the breakfast as a non-breakfast and either up the price of the hotel and put some real food but otherwise give this place a go when you go to Morgantown, IF you go to Morgantown.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Judy Z
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Morgan for four trips over the past two months, for a total of 10 nights. The pros had just barely outweighed the cons until last night. Now I can no longer recommend this place at all, despite the great location and some helpful staff.

The hotel is old and, for those of us for whom old = charming, this may be a good thing. However, the hotel desperately needs a revamp of some of its basic systems. One of the biggest problems is the door locks. I have never had a key card there work on the first 5-6 swipes. Last night, I returned from dinner at 7:45 pm ready for a hot shower and bed, but my key card would not open the room. After four trips up and down to the lobby to ask for the key to be re-coded, the polite desk clerk (Paula) told me that she would call the manager to come with the master key. She also told me that this room was infamous for having a broken door lock (so why did they place me in that room when the hotel was half-empty?). It took the manager Tiffany 2.5 hours to show up with the master key (no apologies, no excuses for the long wait, no explanation for why the desk staff do not have access to the master key). The master key did not work. The manager arranged for the maintenance man to take the door down. By now it was 11 pm (yes, more than 3 hours after I tried to get into the room and I was still being patient and polite). Tiffany let me into an adjacent room and, after I asked several times, assured me she would notify me when the room was open so that I could retrieve my stuff. I waited and waited and periodically checked to see if the door had been opened. At 3:25 am, I called the front desk to inquire about the door status (by now, I was ~8 hours into my adventure and desperately wanted to take my contacts out, but their case and solution were in the inaccessible room). I was told, at 3:25 am, "Oh, we unlocked the door around midnight".... Any door lock can break, but the hotel's policy not to give the desk clerk's access to the master key, and manager Tiffany's 2.5 hour show with the key and quick escape from the hotel without waiting to make sure that I was able to retrieve my stuff, make me feel as my experience as a hotel guest was not of anyone's concern.

Clarion Hotel Morgan, get your act together, demote Tiffany, replace her with Paula as manager, and for goodness sake, get rid of or fix the darn useless key card locks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Flincinmom

Travelers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Downtown Morgantown, convenient to all the hot spots and restaurants. This historic building has beautiful furnishings and an exceptional upscale restaurant. It is hard to tell this is a Clarion because it has such a warm air about it. There is a continental breakfast, typical, nothing special. For 98 dollars (senior rate) we has a very comfortable king with high quality linens and pillows, a full sofabed, desk and flat screen. I would not hesitate to stay here anytime. The only downside-parking is a short walk away and there is not a valet. The restaurant, however is one of the best I've seen anywhere. I had stuffed portabello mushrooms, caesar salad and a magnificent filet mignon with crab and bernaise sauce, house rice and asparagus. All scored a 10. I urge you to choose this hotel when traveling to Morgantown.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo