“Wonderful Staff”

Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Hickory, NC
“Wonderful Staff”
Reviewed December 4, 2008

I booked the Lakeview through priceline. My wife and I came into town late, almost 2 am. I called and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Upon arrival they were quite accomadating despite the late hour. Would love to stay here again.

Stayed November 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
WV
Reviewed October 24, 2008

I had the unfortunate experience of staying at this "resort" in mid-October 2008. While the room was acceptable (though dated) the rest of the facility was sub-standard. (badly stained hall carpets; disgusting swimming pool...)

What was most concerning is the LACK of SECURITY!! We arrived around 9:00 pm and were directed to drive around to door # 7.

These exterior doors open directly onto the hotel floors where the rooms are and HAVE NO LOCKS ON THEM! Anyone can walk in at any hour. As a woman traveling with children I was shocked.

Finding the entrance itself was another challenge. While the doors are marked,the numbers are directly under the lights and you cannot read them without getting out and walking up to each door.

The coup de grace for me was the rusty hot water the next morning when I went to bathe. Never again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — security
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank yesiamaprincess

Travelers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Ohio
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My family stayed here in July. It was the best overall vaction in recent memory. The staff was very friendly and bent over backwards to make sure we were happy. The food in the restaurant was outstsanding. They had a someone carving prime rib. We played on both courses. I have to tell you that in the middle of July, admist the heat, both were plush green and in great shape. We will definatly be back.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank rlong
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2008

You've surely heard the phrase "upscale resort." Lakeview is a "downscale resort" -- though I don't think they advertise it that way. So, if you're expecting it to be an upscale resort, and holding it to those standards, you're likely to be very disappointed. On the other hand, if you're looking for a fairly inexpensive "resort," nothing fancy, Lakeview might do. I stayed there the nights of Aug. 12 and 13, 2008. I was visiting in the Morgantown area and wanted to get in a little golf, so Lakeview seemed like a reasonable choice for a place to stay. I paid $119.99 plus $14.40 tax per night for each of the two nights. Lakeview advertizes that it's been recently renovated. That may be true to a degree. I think my room had fairly new carpet, but the rest of it I wasn't sure about. The furniture and decor are very dated. Nevertheless, the room, though small, was clean and comfortable (but not as soundproofed as I would have liked). I did not eat there because I'd heard the food was not very good. Also, since I left on Thursday morning, I can't tell you what Thursday night's regular "Bike Night" in the bar was like. I did play golf, though. Lakeview has two courses. The Mountainview Course should be shut down and Lakeview's apparently slim resources devoted to the other course, the older Lakeview Course. The Mountainview Course was inexpensive, $24 for a weekday round for me as a resort guest, but I'm not sure if it was worth even that. It's built on want is mostly hilly land not suited to golf, and weaves through a residential development. On one hole fairway swampiness appeared to result from septic fields from adjacent properties overflowing onto the course. That's what it looked like to me, anyway. The Lakeview Course ($54 for my weekday round) is a much better course, traditionally styled and somewhat better maintained than Mountainview, but still not anywhere close to the standards that you'd expect of a "nice resort course." By way of full disclosure, I only played the first 14 holes of the Lakeview course. That much took 4.5 hours, and I decided to leave the course at that point to make a dinner engagement. As I was leaving the resort about an hour later, I saw my playing companions about halfway up the 18th hole. This was on a Wednesday afternoon. (Also, note that they charge you $1.06 per day for a room safe unless you opt out when you register. I missed that fine print on the registration form.)

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Fifty-dollar priceline room. I was just looking for a nice place off the highway and arrived pretty late, so I did not take advantage of the pool, golf course, or fitness center on site.

The desk attendant was polite at midnight when I arrived. My room was a long distance from the desk: a five-minute walk or a short drive. The hallways are shabby and could use some renovation, but the hotel smartly sunk its money into renovating the rooms. The bed and sheets were obviously new and high-quality. The carpet looked to have been recently replaced as well. The bathroom was small but clean and nice enough. TV was older but worked without any problems. Overall, the room was nice and about on par for a three-star hotel.

While the warning about the $1 safe charge is true, the front desk will quickly remove it if asked. Other complaints about the hotel seem greatly exaggerated. Perhaps recent renovations have rectified them. In any event, the hotel was perfectly nice, and I'd pretty happily stay there again.

• Liked — Nice rooms.
  • Disliked — Nothing major.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Toronto
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We were very disappointed in this so called resort. We stayed in the condos. The air conditioner didn't work well, and the place smelled bad. The unit was very old, run down and dirty. When we asked to switch to another unit or to the hotel they were very unaccommodating. We were coming down I-79 and looking for a nice place to unwind after a long day on the road. It is not worth the money or the extra distance off I-79. We would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Rochester, NY
Reviewed May 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed here in March while driving from NY to SC. It was so nice we stayed again in April on the way back. The front desk service was excellent, our room large and very clean, and the beds were very comfortable. The pool and hot tub area were also very clean. Our experience was excellent and we look forward to staying again.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple