“Overall a Decent Stay”

Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Our family arrived at the Lakeview for a family-oriented conference. Having two rooms reserved, they offered us one of the timeshare Condos for the same price, which we loved.

We were in Condo 18, but I'm assuming they're all mostly the same. Upstairs had 2 bedrooms: Master w/ Queen bed, swivel chair and bathroom w/ jetted tub, 2nd bedroom with 2 twins beds and shower. Both bedrooms have TVs. Downstairs has another 1/2 bath, a full washer/dryer, a full kitchen and a love-seat and sleeper sofa with another TV. Balconies are off of the master and the living area. There was a gas fireplace which wasn't working. Each condo has 1 assigned parking spot.

The hotel itself is pretty spread out. We attended conferences in the seminar rooms on level 2, which is actually downstairs from the main lobby. This was a very busy resort with lots of events happening simultaneously. The staff were all super friendly to our two young children. There is not a ton to do in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. For example, there isn't a single pizza place that will deliver to the resort. The resort bar/restaurant does offer pizza, but it is a bit overpriced and it's not the best quality. If you need supplies or want to shop, it's at least a 15-20 minute drive into Morgantown.

Parking is the biggest issue they have. During the day, golfers take all of the parking spots closest to the hotel entrance, which means hotel guests who are paying to stay there have the longest walks. Later in the day, while the golfers are still on the course, and guests are arriving for other events (weddings, etc.) the lot is at capacity. People park in the lanes of the parking lot, which makes navigating the lot in anything larger than a golf cart quite difficult. We even encountered golfers 'tailgating' from the back of their pick-up trucks in the afternoon. If I were to make a suggestion, it would be for the hotel to issue parking passes to all guests of the hotel and only allow those vehicles to park in the main parking lot. Golfers who are only on site for the golf course should have to park in the lower lot which is directly adjacent to the actual course. I would also suggest having a parking attendant on site during the busiest times to make sure that guests are parking in areas that make it difficult to navigate the already-filled parking lot.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Like stepping into a page of one of my favorite novels, my family and I attended the Lakeview Resort's Easter Buffet. I have never experienced something so extravagant in our hometown! We started by checking in with the concierge as we had a 1pm reservation. I was impressed that our wait was minimal as I found out they were serving nearly a thousand people for this event throughout the day. Then as we were directed into the dining area, the white linens on the tables glistened because the natural light from the wall of picture windows overlooking the lake beamed into the dining room. The selection of food was way more than one person could consume in a day, let alone for one meal. There were fancy breakfast foods, seafood (shrimp, crab legs, and smoked salmon), a pasta bar where you could create your own Italian delight, a carving station for prime rib, a bread display with various different breads and pastries and other a la carte items sprinkled here and there amongst the buffet items. As if that wasn't enough of a "wow" factor, there was the Candy Land room. It was festively decorated for Easter with white lattice, sparkling lights,Easter baskets and candy and cakes EVERYWHERE! My children could not believe their eyes nor could they stuff their little hands with candy fast enough! For the grown up taste, there was a buffet table of fancy cakes ranging from carrot cake to cheesecake along with bowls and bowls of your favorite candies. To top it off, the Easter Bunny was available for pictures and hugs in the middle of this candy bliss. This was a fabulous experience for my family and I would recommend it to anyone. It is a "must do" whether you are a Morgantown native or just visiting!

Room Tip: We were only here for the brunch.
2  Thank Cindy A
LVRoomsManager, Manager at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Thank you for joining us for our Easter Buffet! It is one of our most popular events of the year and we are glad that you enjoyed it so much. Please join us again for our other holiday events.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

The furniture looked like it was pieced from yard sales, there was crusty "stuff" on the bedskirt, mildew or mold on the ceiling although it does look like they covered most of it with a very poor patch job, tub liner was cracked and squishy, mattresses appear to be very old, thick dust/crud on baseboards throughout the room. I called the front desk to see if they had anything better. Front desk clerk said she thought they had rooms on the 1st floor that were being renovated but the room I was in was the best they had. She offered to send housekeeping to replace the bedskirt. The front desk manager then called and asked if I had a flat screen, when I replied yes, she said my room had been renovated. The furniture "style" they wanted to keep the old look of the hotel through the renovation. The hotel was a dump. I learned from a friend in the business in the area they buy their furniture from other hotels in the area when they are renovating. I would have checked out immediately but I was attending a wedding there that weekend. Beware. It's more a $40/night hotel, not $100.

Room Tip: If you must stay here take cleaning supplies. You'll need them.
1  Thank amy_tripvisor
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We paid for a king suit for a recent event, and received confirmation email saying that our king suite was reserved. We booked with part of a group and another member of the group also upgraded to a king suite. When we arrived, we signed the receipt with the correct amount to be charged ($128) for our king suite. We got to our room and found it to be a double suite with 2 full sized beds. We immediately called the front desk and Mercedes (front desk receptionist) responded by saying, "your reservation shows that you booked a double suite" (after we had JUST signed the paper with them at the front desk for a KING suite. After telling us it was our mistake repeatedly, we said we were on our way back to the front desk to show them the email. All of a sudden she said, "no, no that isn't necessary... I actually see here where you did request a king suite. Unfortunately, since you booked with a group, you can only upgrade to a double suite." This is NOT what they said on the phone while booking, and this is NOT what we paid for. Soon after, we learned that the other member in our group who paid for a king suite was able to check in NO PROBLEM and got the suite he paid for. We told Mercedes this, and she said, "We're sorry for the inconvenience, unfortunately all the king suites are unavailable. We will provide you with free breakfast as compensation." We called back AGAIN (absolutely furious) and said how unprofessional it was that they couldn't admit THEIR booking mistake, and KNOWINGLY sent us to discover the WRONG room. We said, "So since you bait-and-swithched us, didn't apologize for YOUR mistake, and accused US of booking incorrectly, what are we going to do about this?" Once the bait-and-switch phrase was brought up, she decided to discount our rate $25, but refused to apologize for THEIR mistake and only said, "We're sorry for the inconvenience." Extremely unprofessional. Here's a review of our stay:

-unprofessional customer service
-Didn't get the room we paid for
-dirty bath tub
-ring of the bath tup faucet fell off
-had to call twice for more towels, and they took over an hour to get
-Not at all worth the money

Needless to say, we will never be staying here again

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Chelsea S
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I did not have high expectations when I arrived at the Lakeview Resort, but I was traveling for work and really didn't have many requirements beyond a clean room with a bed. I did however expect that my room should lock. Honestly, if I were going to make a list of things that are really important in a hotel room, locking doors wouldn't even cross my mind. It's just a given that a hotel room should have a functioning lock. The first room I was given at the Lakeview did not. I'm still amazed at how this was even possible.

The second room did have a lock so that was an improvement, but it also had a rather large bug on the ceiling, no free outlets to charge my phone, and about 10 years of dust and grime in the light fixture in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable but I had a hard time sleeping because I was worried about the bug. Call me silly if you like, but it bothered me. I don't like bugs and when I pay to stay in a hotel, I do not think that I should have to share my room with the local wildlife.

In addition to the hotel's general run down state, the atmosphere didn't suit me either. It seemed like everyone else staying at the hotel was there on a boys trip to play golf. I think they probably cater to that sort of thing. As a woman traveling alone, it was a little uncomfortable. There were no other female guests that I saw. Normally I wouldn't be bothered by that sort of thing, but when a group of men follows you on the elevator late at night and they start calling you sweetie, it's a little creepy. Not that the hotel is really responsible for their guests but that's what it's like.

Also, the breakfast is not included. It's cheap so you might be tempted to just pay for it. Don't bother. It is actually overpriced for the quality.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank noodlenj

Please allow me to apologize for your recent experience. We have addressed your concerns to make sure this does not happen in the future. We hope that you will choose to stay at Lakeview Golf Resort & Spa again.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Our family attended a wedding here recently and we could not have had a better experience. From the moment we arrived everyone and I mean everyone at the resort made us feel like we were valued and like family. We loved the property and it was very well maintained. I highly reccommend this property and our family will be back very soon. We came for a wedding but we're coming back for a vacation this summer and we can't wait!!!

5  Thank Tracy M

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to Lakeview Golf Resort & Spa. We strive to make sure our guests are made to feel at home by every associate they come in contact with.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have been going on golf trips to Lakeview / Mountain View for 20+ years. For the first 8/10 years it was a great bargain, then for a few years there appeared to be a bit of decline (still a bargain). I have noticed that there appears to have been recent renovations and posative attitude. Over the past several years - the facilities have been renovated and the service personel have become very friendly and attentive. The value has always been there as the golf courses are typically in great shape and are challenging. I highly recommend this resort - I am from the PGH area and typically go 2 / 3 times a year for the golf package which included, 2 rounds of golf, accomodations, a buffet breakfast and choice of dinner at the sports bar all for around $120 / $150 pp depending on the season.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank George D

Thank you for your review of our resort! We are always pleased to hear back from our frequent guests about the improvements we have made. There are still more upgrades coming in the future.