“Would rather sleep in my car than stay here again.”

Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here because it was the only we could find that still had rooms. It was seriously outdated and in need of an overhaul. Rooms were small and dirty. End table was actually sticky and dirty. Bedspreads were old as was furniture. It didn't get better the second day either- housekeeping was nonexistent. Did not change sheets, did not vacuum,etc. I would not stay here again - they need to spend some money and rehab this place.

• Stayed: October 2012
Sports33, General Manager at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

We do truely apologize for the eperience during your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves in our ability to provide a lasting positive memory. We have recently embarked in a major renovation that will restore this historic landmark to its original charm. Once completed by the spring of 2013, it would be worth your investmentto visit us again to show you the true Lakeview experience. Please visit our website to view the changes.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Along the shores of Cheat Lake near Morgantown, West Virginia lies a beautiful setting of hills surrounding a lake formed by a dam on Cheat Lake. The Condos have two upstairs bedrooms each with their own bathroom. Downstairs the full kitchen looks over a spacious dining/living area. All around the resort is a substantial golf course and a large hotel with restaurants and an indoor pool. Anyone choosing to come here must be very careful about researching the directions as first timers are going to get lost. If you are driving west on I-68 past Morgantown you drive over the Cheat Lake bridge and take exit 10 immediately after the lake. At the end of the exit ramp go to the left heading under the interstate although it appears that you are driving away from the resort. You find yourself surprisingly on route 43 heading toward Uniontown so immediately take the next exit (number 1) which is identified as to Cheat Lake! At the end of the ramp turn left following another Cheat Lake sign. You then come to a "T" intersection at route 857 and turn right following the Cheat Lake signs. Now you are almost back at the starting point of this adventure. Moving forward you will see up ahead the huge sign for Lakeview Resort which directs you to a left turn now going over I-68. Wind your way to the main hotel. Check-in is inside the main entrance to the hotel. Condos are located further past the hotel and then at the end of an overflow parking lot turn right to drive across the golf course(!). The condos are well numbered but there is only one numbered parking spot for each condo, any other cars in your group must stay back at the overflow lot. Despite this challenge there is much to do here including hiking in the Coopers Rock State Forest and the Research Forest for West Virginia University. Morgantown, as a university town, offers many great venues for eating and entertainment.

Room Tip: Condos numbered in the sixties are located close to the recreation building which offers an arcade a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012

These comments are based on attendance at a banquet in the main building. No overnight stay occurred.

1. Hard to find! Please take seriously the comments about the difficulty of finding this place. I cannot imagine looking for it in the dark or in a downpour. Maybe you will go right to it, or perhaps you will give up--like I did--and stop and ask someone where it is.

2. The food at my banquet was served buffet style and was entirely acceptable. I have no complaints about the tastiness, freshness, and quality of the meal. What struck me as odd was the wait-staff which seemed unable to anticipate the needs of the guests. I'm accustomed to seeing a waiter circle the table asking each guest what they want to drink and other service type questions. On the contrary, we had to "flag down" a waiter any time someone wanted coffee or more water or any other need. The young men--five of them, I believe--were good, friendly guys, so I'm thinking perhaps they just did not have good training or instructions on how to handle a banquet efficiently.

3. As I have pointed out, I did not stay, and never plan to. Somehow this property gives off a bad vibe in my opinion, and that's part of a personal review. If you choose to stay here and enjoy it, then good for you. I will go elsewhere.

Room Tip: I did not stay; banquet only
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donald W
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Recently spent a few nights at this place. In the beginning, there were no attendants to take my luggage nor did anyone offer. After being placed on a higher floor, which to get to I had to go outside to another building and walk up the stairs, I went back to the front desk and asked to be placed close to an elevator if there was one. When entering the room, I was astonished! The bed spread was very old, the carpet was filthy, room dusty, a spider web was attached to a lamp, curtains were very stained, the potty didn't work, which I had to fix myself each time I flushed. Only warm water...gnats everywhere!!! Couldn't get rid of them. Stained ceiling. Horrible musty smell. TV channels were limited and very fuzzy. During our break for refreshments, a toaster was provided for bagels that was RUSTED!!! Yes, rusted. It was disgusting! I would be embarassed to put something like that out for a group of people to use. The main dining restaurant was closed during the week. One of my room service meals was not cooked and was raw.No attendant to help with my bags when I left. GOOD THINGS: Staff at front desk were very nice and helpful! No gift shop to purchase anything needed. One of my room service meals was very delicious. Meals provided for our breaks were very good. I would not recommend this place nor will I ever stay here again. Pro Shop was very nice but pricey!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris B

We truely apologize for the experience during your recent stay with us. This is not the level of service we are use to providing. We have recently embarked on a major renovation that will restore our resort to its original charm. We hope you will give us another oppotunity to provide the true Lakeview experience. This property, once an Historic site, will be worth coming back to see following our renovation. Please visit our website to view the details.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

they are great! awesome! i love the front desk staff! especially Bre, Audrianna, Marcedess and Anne. They go above and beyond for us. We come to Lakeview monthly for the big WVU games and get treated like VIP guests. We feel at home and welcomed. We are looking forward to many more visits and for the up comming renovation in the Spring!!! Lakeview is a class act and we consider them like family!!!! Keep up the great work!!!! Food was awesome too!!! Also...a BIG thanks to Steve & Justin, always a pleasure!!!! Thanks Lakeview and see you again VERY soon!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Horrible experience. There was a god awful buzzing that kept going off every minute on the hour for 5 second intrevals. it was so quiet and peaceful then this god awful buzz every freakin minute. Also the shower had a slow drain and you found yourself standing in a bath while taking a shower. Sorry if you had to shower second. Could have been a nice place to stay if i could have slept. Was up all night after driving 5 hours and rafting another 4 hours. Was looking forward to a sauna or steam after rafting only to find out the fitness center closed at 7pm. Was a long day and no sleep. Will be a long drive home with no sleep. Would not recommend this place without ear plugs. Could even hear the water running in adjacent rooms. For $100 a night I expect to get some sleep. Horrible experience.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank MsRonnie

We apologize for the experience during your recent stay. We do close our fitness center at 5pm on Sunday's due to a lower demand. We have recently embarked on a major renovation that will restore our resort to its original splender. I hope you will give us another oppotunity to provide the true Lakeview experience.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We were in town for a wedding and stayed at the Lakeview especially because of it's convenient location. Because of that convenience and the fact that we had a bed to sleep in and a place to use as our home base for the weekend...it simply served it's purpose, otherwise...it was not up to our standards of quality that we look for in a hotel. In a couple words, I would describe it as outdated and dirty. First of all we had been talking with the hotel daily for the week prior to verify our reservations and the fact that we would be checking in late, so they only had "one room left" ehrn we finally checked in and the roll away bed hadn't even been delivered yet. Upon entering the room, there was an empty yoplait yoghurt container on the desk. The tv's were small and the old boxy style, not flat cressn and the channels were very limited. We were looking for the remote and when checking under the beds, you could clearly see that the vacuum stopped at the edge of the bedcovers...there was food and wrappers...ughhh..the lights over the bed did not work in our room...there was a ledge up into the bathroom and we all kept tripping over it and finally a parent's worst nightmare, our 6 year old tripped and almost went head first into the toilet porcelain..thankfully he missed it by a hair...on that note..there were hairs all over the bathroom...our toilet kept running at night so we had to keep taking the back off to jiggle the toilet guts and outside of our room at the ned of the hallway was a very loud air conditioner...with a high pitched rattling sound all of the time..thankfully we didn't spend much time here...just ti sleep at night. I will say that when we got to the room and there was no roll away bed, we called and it was delivered within 10 minutes..and we were given extra towels...and then on our last day there we called and they were kind enough to give us an extra hour to check out. Also, Spa Roma associated with the Resort was amazing and so therapeutic and professional...worth checking out...So, service was good, cleanliness and quality could definitely improve.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family