“OK for an overnight”

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
NY Metro area
“OK for an overnight”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was a stopover for us between two long travel days. We had called around 6:30 as we were traveling to see if they had a room. It was the last room available. This particular room was not a suite which we were told up front. That was fine since we were just passing through. We arrived after 9:00 and need to grab a bite to eat. After waiting about 10-15 minutes for the desk clerk to complete her call she was on (a reservation), we checked into Room 602 which is on the mezzanine level. Yup, room 602 is on the third floor. The room was odd shaped because it was on the corner. As soon as we walked in you could tell someone had been smoking in it. It wasn't very bad but you could definitely smell it being a non smoker. I went downstairs to inform them of the issue. I reconfirmed it was a no smoking room so she said she would make note of it so we wouldn't be charged a cleaning fee for the smoke smell.

We asked where we would be able to get something to eat and she suggested Kegler's Sports Bar about 75 yards down. This is a typical college town sports bar. NCAA championships were going on so it was quite crowded until the game was over. Food was good although I ordered the Rib basket and asked if the Chipotle BBQ ribs was very hot and the waitress said no. I said I like a bite to it but not super hot. She said it would be fine. Well, I don't think I'm a sissy about hot foods but this made my nose run and my mouth burn. When I rubbed the extra sauce off it was much better. My husband tried it and he even thought it was pretty spicy. If it wasn't for the fact it was close to 10:00 I would have probably returned it and got something else. I did tell the waitress next time she might want to rethink her description.
The next morning we went down for breakfast. The breakfast room could fit about 10 people at their tables. Mind you the hotel has 79 rooms. There was the typical continental breakfast fare but they also had Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches which you could heat in the microwave. We sat in the bar/lobby area to eat since it was pretty crowded.

An added note, they give complimentary water bottles in the room. Nice amenity, however, one of our two water bottles was full but open. We did advise the front desk of this.

Not sure if I would give the place another try or not if in the area. Since it was the last room left, they didn't have the option to place us elsewhere and at 9:30 at night I wasn't going to go looking around. I thought the price for the room we were in was a little high considering it wasn't a suite. It would have been nice if the management would have offered something of a discount considering the No Smoking room smelled of smoke.

Room Tip: I would avoid the 600 room block (mezzanine level) as it appears these were add on rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank evilmell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Red Lion, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We arrived to our room tired and ready to rest. We first had to clean our drawers and shelves the towel we used was black with filth.
We cleaned the windows.
Then we opened the pull out couch to find someone else's sheets and blankets.
I dropped my pants on the bathroom floor and picked them up to see they were ruined by black dirt.
Behind the hall door was a cork.
Then I dropped something behind the night stand only to find a old paper chip bag and chips and 1/4" of dust. That was the whole room. The bathroom was the same way. Also the bed spread was stained.
We told the front desk clerk everything and asked them to clean it the next day while we were gone.
We returned that evening to find the beds made, new towels and nothing clean!
Our group rented 5 rooms and one of them went out and bought cleaning supplies and cleaned it themselves. Another room had coffee In the coffee maker, an exploded soda can in the fridge, and filth everywhere. A "mayonnaise" stain on the pillow!
The breakfast is nice and the staff is easy going.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank confam
Ladysmith, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a hotel with two-room suites: living area with t.v., kitchenette & sleep sofa, and a bedroom/bath. Configuration could be king or two queens. The hotel has a nice, big lobby/lounge area for gatherings, and a small breakfast area. There are meeting rooms on the second level. Included breakfast was very good, including make-your-own-waffles, hard boiled eggs, Jimmy Dean sandwiches, as well as the usual Continental fare. Free coffee/tea/hot chocolate iis available 24/7. As another traveler noted, there is free wi-fi, but the signal varies and can leave you stranded. We mainly used our personal "hot spot" device. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The rooms have been upgraded with new, flat screen LG televisions. Our room was clean and comfortable. We will stay here again. Given the prices of other properties in this area, we felt the $99/night Priceline rate was more than fair. There may be other deals available.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rscandcjw
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was very pleased with this hotel for the price. I loved the bedroom area separated from the living space. There is a tv in both areas. also enjoyed having the convenience of the kitchenette. the room was clean and comfortable. We were there on a Sunday night so there was not alot of traffic but we found it quiet. The front desk attendants were both very nice and helpful. The breakfast in the morning was good. Good location for med center, CALC, parents of kids at Evansdale dorms and the Mountaineer stadium!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stacy F
Beckley, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is nice enough to book at a discount if in the area for medical needs, however, comfort is not part of the package. The 600 room block has paper thin walls, so you might as well be in a commune area. The bed was nice and clean, but only to prop up for awhile, not rest. The atmosphere reminded me of a lower to mid level building in the middle east. A lot of grandeur but no personal touch to be a home away from home. When criticism was offered the guy at the desk replied, "I don't own the place."

Room Tip: Definitely not in the 600 block...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank NurseMama25
Norfolk, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Their internet is slow, blocks sites and has a weird user agreement. It deliberately states it monitors your use. After two hours and realizing I could not get my work done the next day online, I left and took a loss to book a separate hotel. On the plus side, the rooms are large and the staff is amazing. If you are looking for a hotel that has almost no internet, this is the place.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel unless your phone can be used as a wifi hotspot.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ad6matt
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

The suites are nicely decorated, and in good physical condition. Two separate rooms (living area & bedroom) gives everyone space to relax and unwind. The hotel lobby is showing signs of wear and tear. However, the positives of this hotel far outweigh the negatives. It is my choice hotel in Morgantown. I recommend it for your next stay.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the lobby. It can be loud in the evenings, and the noise will travel to th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family