“Not the Hilton, Not the Slums”

Econo Lodge Coliseum
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed here while a family friend was a patient at Ruby Memorial Hospital. The hotel is dated, and there were rips in the wallpaper in my room. But the room was exactly what I expected for the price I paid, and there were no bugs. I had a room right off the front parking lot. I had friends that got a room around on the back side, close to a wooded area. Unfortunately, we are having a bad season of stink bugs, and their room had quite a few. Even though the front desk clerk did his best to get them to another room, they decided not to stay. I am thankful I had a bug free room. And the night clerk was pleasant to all of us.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Ronnie S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Coliseum, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. We are currently experiencing a high amount of stink bugs in the Morgantown area. We have modified our cleaning to help keep them from our property, but being well lighted draws there attraction like no-other. Since your visit, we have sprayed the wooded area with a light pesticide to help lower the numbers, but we are hopeful that with the winter season fast approaching they should be eliminated quickly. Thank you once again for the review, and we sincerely appreciate the comment. We look forward to accomodating you again when your travels bring you to the Morgantown area.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We're football fanatics and dread going up and back to Morgantown in the same game day. So we decided to try the Econo Lodge Coliseum to make it easier. The location is about perfect...close to the exit, easy to get in and out of and very close to the football stadium (and even closer to the Coliseum as the name indicates...you can walk there!) During game weekends it's a two-night minimum but you'll pay less for these two nights than you would one night somewhere else! First of all, forget anything you might remember about this motel not being nice. It's been completely updated, with attractive furnishings, comfortable linens and beds and everything else you might want. Our room had a microwave and a small fridge which was an added treat. The rooms are large and roomy. The shower is hot and powerful! Breakfast was adequate. The coffee was hot and strong. They served orange juice, waffles, English muffins, pastries and some other little things. And don't forget if you want something more substantial, go to the Shoney's across the parking lot! The staff couldn't be nicer or more attentive to our needs. The dear woman who checked us out today has been with the motel for 16 years and was a real delight. The man who checked us in was likewise friendly and knowledgeable and warmly welcomed us to the place. I was hesitant to write this review, fearing my secret little getaway will be revealed, but that's the risk I'll run. This place was perfect for our needs and we will be back...every football weekend for sure. So see you there!

Room Tip: This is two-story hotel without an elevator. All rooms exit to the outside and an internal corridor...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JaneDeaux
Ronnie S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Coliseum, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our property. I will be sure to share this information with the staff. We really appreciate the comments, and look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Ended up stopping here at the midway point coming back from KY on the way to VA/DC. Had stopped at the Best Western, but they didn't allow pets. So ended up up the hill to this Econo Lodge, which did accept pets :-) Glad it worked out.

Larry Ford, the night desk person was very friendly. He said he used to play for WVU. Was a very nice guy and checked us in quickly. Told us what to expect in the morning re the bfast and the hours. Were happy it went until 10, as didn't check in until around 1 a.m.

Thought this was a hidden gem. Not a bad place to stay. The room had lots of space. Decent sized small refr. 1 King bed was decent. Convenient location to the highway. Shoneys was next door. The tub didn't quite drain as well as it should. I meant to mention that to the front desk, but forgot.

Morning staff were very friendly and nice as well. Cleaning staff were nice and friendly as well.
Bfast was no frills. Some packets of donuts, muffins, some cereal. Not a huge space for eating. Was more or less on the side of the lobby. Ended up skipping bfast to get a little more sleep. Room was nice and dark with curtains that blocked the light.

Liked that it was so close to WVU. If I ever come back this way again, would stay here.

Room Tip: Stayed in room #116 with 1 King bed. Was on the end. Was quiet and dark for sleeping.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your stay. I am very happy to hear that Larry took good care of you. Being a former Mountaineer, he can be pretty intimidating and some of our guests are a little taken back by him, I will be sure to inform him of your comments. I am very glad to hear that we are able to provide you with an exellent experience while in the Morgantown area. We look forward to accommodating you during your next trip to Morgantown and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Decided at the last minute to go to a WVU football game.and were scrambling to find a place to stay and stumbled across the Econo Lodge. Great price for a last minute reservation. It did have a 2 night required stay but even at that the price was still cheaper than other hotel's 1 night stay. Hotel was clean and staff was very friendly and helpful. A short walk to the Coliseum where shuttle buses travel back and forth to the game. Hotel did need some updates but overall a nice stay. They say location is everything and this place seem to be a short drive to everything you could possible need. My next trip to a game I know where I will be staying.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to inform us about your stay. We appreciate the guest feedback. I will be sure to share the information with the entire staff. We look forward to accomodating you during your next trip to the Morgantown area. Thanks Again!!!!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We needed a place for our family of 6 to sleep late at night, to break up a long 9 hour drive. We were greeting by friendly staff and within minutes were checked into a comfortable room. In the morning, a decent breakfast was served- cereals, granola bars, bagels, muffins, waffles, pastries, juice and milk. The staff was very helpful and aimed to please. The attendant even asked if there was anything else she can get for us. Overall it was a very pleasant experience and a great value!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa A
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This place was amazing! The rooms were very clean. The staff was very helpful ( probably the friendliest I have encountered EVER in my traveling experiences...they even offered to print out directions for me since my GPS wasnt working!) and the rate was very reasonable. Shoneys next door was a plus as well, and they gave me a discount for having stayed at Econo Lodge. Thank you for the wonderful experience. Ill definitely be returning!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

After we checked in, the phone rang and it was the fellow from the front desk calling to ask us if everything was OK. When was the last time that happened? The morning people were all just as pleasant and friendly ( so was the fellow who was there when we arrived, having just pulled a double. How often does that happen?) They're just off of the 79 on the route of march. Nice places to eat near by. Give them a shot. By the way the guy that was working the night shift had guns that would make Hulk Hogan run for the high grass. You don't have to worry about rowdies at night!

Room Tip: JUst call ahead and reserve a room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple