Elk Springs Resort
$75
Centennial Motel(Buckhannon)
$85
$124
All reviewsfly shoptroutfly fishingelk springswest virginialodge buildinggreat getawaygas stationriverelliehatcherylodgingsnowshoeunitsskiingwoodsdishwasher
Reviewed November 7, 2009

First, I must say that this is the first time I've ever reviewed anything online. I felt so strongly about this place it was the first thing I wanted to do when I got home!

My father and I stumbled upon this gem on the internet and made a reservation in the lodge for a weekend father-daughter fishing getaway. We had an incredible experience and can't wait to go back next year!

The lodge seemed brand new, with a beautifully finished wood interior, spacious well kept rooms and a nice, deep bathtub jacuzzi in each room. We didn't see any bugs inside at all. They had a nice kitchen there in the lodge you could use, satellite TV and the managers said they are working on getting wireless up there. Overall, the lodge made me feel very luxurious but amidst a rustic atmosphere; we were suprised to find such a nice facility so far away from main towns and roads!

The fishing at Elk Springs was beyond excellent. I caught 8 fish in a 24 hour period, and I'm totally a beginner! You could see all these huge trout just laying there in the water, and they haven't been stocked in over 50 years. My dad had never seen anything quite like it and he's fished all over the world. The fishing there is apparently just as good year round because the water flows right out from underground limestone caves where the temperature is always the same and the alkali environment is good for the fish. They have 2 miles of stream, and we found that the farther we got away from the lodge, the easier the fish were to catch, but that might have just been our experience.

What really made our experience at Elk Springs stand out was the genuine and kind folks that run the place. As well as the other staff we found Amanda and John (managers), and Dave (guide) to be endlessly helpful, flexible and welcoming. It was clear that they really love what they do, and it shows in how they take care of guests. Dave and John were gave us lots of great advice on the fishing, Amanda entertained us with stories over home cooked meals and gladly answered all of our questions about the region. I really felt comfortable and cared for amid their hospitality, and appreciated how they really took the time to get to know us.

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Freedom of speech is a wonderful luxury to be used by all US citizens, unfortunately it is also abused with blowing situations out of proportion. As I remember, the folks that sent in a bad review of Elk Springs Resort arrived to find some bugs around the lodge, yet they did not state in thier review that they were offered a room downstairs where there was absolutely NO BUGS, but maybe in thier minds "bigger was better", bigger bed, bigger room, bigger tub. As part of the "cleaning crew", that lodge was fully cleaned/disinfected and was inspected earlier that day. This resort is located in the middle of nature/woods/wildlife..that means with the beauty comes pests whether its bugs or mice. If those of you are looking for perfection I'd suggest finding a 5 star hotel in a big dirty city instead of a backwoods resort with clean air and plenty of hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
7  Thank sursgub
Reviewed October 26, 2007

The trip we had was great. The fishing was real good but the people were even better. John, Amanda and Bill were the best. Myself and two co-workers took our trip to Elk Springs to try somewhere else for a fishing weekend...and boy it was a great choice. The cabin we stayed at on the island was very nice, you can hear the river at night. The food was very good, You must try John's ribs, very good. All of the people who work there were very nice. I used their guide service, Bill was my guide. The first thing he asked me" Do you want to just catch fish or would you like me to teach you what I know so you can catch more fish later, and help yourself grow as a Fly fisherman." I said teach on.... He was a very knowledgeable man and very patient too. We fished all day and with his help I cought three of the biggest trout of my life....anyway on Saturday night we had a blast at the bar with everyone. Also the local people we met were very helpful and real nice..... Our trip was three day of pure fishing fun. We plan to take our next spring fishing trip right back to Elk Springs sometime in 2008. I can't wait...

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank FishONboys
Reviewed May 30, 2007

This was our second time to Elk Springs and as always it was well worth our eight hour drive. We arived on Friday and fished through the weekend with lots of success. Catching a huge hatch on Sunday night when several of us hooked into some enormous rainbows and browns. This included our cousin who Bill just tought to cast only the day before. I personally cought a big brown Sunday morning when the fog was still out on the water. I have thought about that moment every day in my cubical since and I just can't wait to go back in the fall! I want to thank John, Amanda and Bill for taking such great care of us. I would recommend Elk Springs to anyone who loves fishing, wants to learn to fly fish or just wants to relax in the mountains.

Best Regards,
Brian Swingle
(Jersey Boys)

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank bswingle
Reviewed March 5, 2007

I didn't stay at Elk Springs, but I brought my 4 year old son there for the first fly fishing experience for the both of us. John was our guide and he was wonderful. My boy had a great time. I took my whole family and some friends back another time. And everyone had a great time. Others we met there said the lodge was great.

1  Thank MalvernMadness