“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Elk Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterville
Elk Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monterville
Huntington WV
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2006

My stay at the Elk Springs was simply just too short. I only got to stay for one night on OCT 14,2006 and had a blast!!! Everything was tremendous there including the hosts of the property. The level of hospitality that we received on our stay was WONDERFUL! The food was excellent, the grounds were spectacular, the fishing was great and the lodging was unmatched in our state. This is truly a gem of WV, in fact, I am planning to return to the Elk Springs Resort before winter sets in.

• Liked — The Lodging and Hospitality
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Use a guide if you want to fish.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2006

I came to fish, not sure what else to expect. I left after the weekend with memories that will last a lifetime.

As a trout bum, when I travel, be it business or pleasure, I always look for a place I can get to the water for some me time. It's how I unwind, it's where I spend quality time with God and where I get rid of the rat-race mentality that will trap us if we let it. We all need to find places where we can take off the masks and just be ourselves. Elk Springs Resort is such a place. They allowed me to set my own pace, fish when I wanted to fish and just relax and let the world drift by for a day or two; and I did.

For the fly fishing fanatics (like me) they have a private spring creek that runs through the property that is FULL of big honkin' fish. I'm talking bruisers that waste no time letting you know that they'll be calling the tune if you don't focus on business. I caught several fish on 'the creek,' four over 20" and one over 24" and then I went to the river that borders the property. I caught several 'lesser' fish of 8"-10" and, just at dark, during that sacred time that all fly fisher's know is THE time when the big boys come out, I tied into the biggest brown of my life! We were all over that river and it was coming in to the net for picture time. He had one more dogged run in him and just as he shook his head, the drag on my reel stuck and BING! and just like that he was gone.

For me, vacation is about head-clearing and making memories for the winter ahead and I did that at Elk Springs. They are a non-pretentious kind of place with rustic luxury, great food prepared simply and the kind of warm and friendly service you get too rarely nowadays. John and Marcia greeted me like kinfolk, took good care of me and let me know they'd love to see me again - not like a customer, but like family. Yep. I'm going back. I have a grudge-fight with a brown trout that kicked my tail-feathers - this time. And, I'm going back to talk with John and Marcia, eat one of John's steaks and let the rest of the world fade away for a few days.

Don't expect to see a uniformed wait-staff or silky, frilly doo-dads at Elk Springs. If falling asleep to the lullabye of a river that's headed somewhere, scenery that reminds you that only God can make this kind of beauty and big fish on the line doesn't get your engine revving, maybe you should go back to google and keep on lookin. Tell them the fishing pastor sent you!

• Liked — The location and the warmth of John and Marcia (the managers)
  • Disliked — That I had to leave too soon
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't expect frilly or pretentious at Elk Springs. Don't expect a french chef. DO expect great food and a great location with wonderful hosts.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank thefishinpastor
Centreville, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2006

We are trout fishers, and visited ESR in May. Had a wonderful experience. Our Guide, Bill, led us into about 5 rainbows over 20" and a bunch over 15 " in a two day period - all catch and release.
John and Marcia, property managers, proved wonderful hosts, and competent cooks/bartenders.
Recommend you NOT stay at the Ellie May cabin, which has no running water/toilet facilities. There are two "island" cabins that should be very comfortable, and there was a new lodge under construction which would provide a number of rooms for rent (but we did not see the rooms).
We would rate this facility WELL above average - with improved menu/bartending, it would be excellent.
[--] Tight Lines!!

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank JoeGillen
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2006

Elk Springs Resort is situated on the Elk where the river emerges from a four mile hiatus in underground caves... thus, the water is a trout friendly 55 degrees year round. The trout were rising the entire two days we were there and the staff did a great job figuring out what they were eating. The staff really bent over backwards for us and made us feel welcome. It was this hospitality that gaurantees my family and I will be back to visit the gang at Elk Springs Resort as often as we can!

• Stayed July 2006
Kenna, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2006

I've found a treasure for anyone who loves fly fishing and great accomodations east of the Rockies. I've done the West and this matches up. The lodge is located at the head of the Elk River in Eastern West Virginia. The river offers up 16-20" browns and rainbows but you have to fish the small stuff. The lodge just opened and is still undergoing final touch-ups, but is beautiful. There's also cabins on the river. John and Marsha are great hosts and they offer lessons, guides and great friendship. Snowshoe Resort is close by so there's always something to do for everyone. My only regret in writing this review is that once this place catches on, I'll have to book a year in advance. Their Web address is: elkspringsflyshop.com.

1 Thank Tom M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monterville
The Resort at Glade Springs
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,019 reviews
Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa
Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa
#12 of 24 in Morgantown

Been to Elk Springs Resort? Share your experiences!