WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Wonderful first fishing experience for kids” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elk Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterville
Elk Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monterville
West Virginia
“Wonderful first fishing experience for kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

Our 9 year old twins are not outdoorsy kids at all. So, In an effort to teach them a little about their native state's wonders , we ventured to Elk Springs while staying at our condo at Snowshoe. We did a half day beginning fly fishing experience in the resort's Spring Creek. Our guide, Patrick Skeen was exceptional. None of us had ever fly fished, and my wife and I had not fished for many years. The first half hour or so was a lesson on fly casting in the resort's yard then a short class on the various flys. All equipment was provided and rigged by Patrick. We then moved to the Spring Creek where the kids immediately hooked up on Rainbow Trout. Patrick coached them (and us) through each cast and hook, making sure that each of us caught multiple fish, netting each fish before releasing back to the creek. He took particular care to ensure the kids were enjoying themselves. My son caught a 3 1/2 pound Rainbow and my daughter's largest catch wasn't far behind. It was a wonderful experience and worth every penny. My kids can't wait to go back. After fishing, we had a nice lunch in the restaurant, eating fresh trout, of course. It was a perfect introduction to fly fishing for all of us. After fishing, we trekked a couple miles downstream to Whitaker Falls which is beautiful. We will be going back and would happily stay at the beautiful lodge if we didn't have a place already so close. Do your family a favor and visit Elk Springs. What a fantastic West Virginia experience. The entire area is beautiful. Just call and tell them what you are looking for and they will customize the experience to your needs.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank MLC1971

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

It always amazes me how relatively unknown WV is to DC people.

This is a beautiful quiet, resort with newly constructed cabins, and friendly fly fishing guides. It is pristine, has a positive vibe and is well managed.

The grounds contain a series of beautiful man made trout stocked ponds for practice, and sits atop a beautiful natural spring fed river which apparently has year around trout fishing.

I don't anything about fly fishing, and a bit about bass fishing. While the guides were not cheap, the level of professionalism was high. You get new gear (rod, reel, flys, waders) from the orvis shop, the guide instructs, does all the tying of tackle. and helps with retrieval. I fished in both the ponds as well as the river and we got many large trout in 4 hours, one beautiful 18 inch brown trout.

I stayed in the "jungle" cabin which was clean and new. Everything in general was much better in person than on the website.

Lunch items were $10ish, and dinner $20-30. The sauteed trout (fresh from the ponds) was excellent. B+ on the restaurant food, service was great.

Oh and in July the weather was absolutely perfect. Not too humid, cool at night and surprisingly low on bugs.

Room Tip: Jungle was clean new and fun.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adamsnowman
Dunwoody, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Truly a prize. Terrific people and great fishing. Had the opportunity to fish with head guide and meet several of his juniors; a joy to fish with and share a meal. Speaking of the food, was quite good; simple but excellent. Even had a chance to speak with the food & beverage manager; very nice guy. In fact, everyone was "top shelf." The accommodations are quite reasonable as is the price. You can readily find more "frills," but this is fishing for fisherman and not your Colorado or Wyoming style "dude ranch" experience. Had an opportunity to meet some other guests and they were an unexpected added pleasure. Hard to come up with a serious criticism; just a plain, old fashion, good time fly fishing east of the Mississippi. Explore it yourself...

Room Tip: this all depends on your needs and numbers, discuss it with the "front desk"
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank William S
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

This location is run by a wonderful family. I am going for my fourth time this year. Of course the fishing will depend upon the weather and the river level like anywhere else, along with the skill of the fisherman. The trout here have seen a lot of flies before, so they are wary most of the time. However, when there is a hatch taking place, all bets are off. The person that wrote the ONE negative review was either ignorant, drunk, or just lying. The Elk River has a solid population of year round trout. Though there is some stocking done from time to time, there are always trout in the Elk. The negative review complained about muddy water in a river!! If there is high water, logging up stream, or construction up stream that causes muddy water that is not under the control of the family that owns Elk Springs Resort. The Elk, most of the time is a beautiful clear river and I have always caught trout in it anywhere from Elk Springs all the way down to Charleston. I just hope this property doesn't become so popular that is becomes crowded. I go there to get away from crowds. There are quit a few non-poisonous water snakes around the property, so be careful where you step. They are there to eat the fish in the ponds, As for the negative reviewer's comments about a waitress being drunk, I believe that is an absolute lie.

Room Tip: This is a lodge at a fishing camp. The rooms are somewhat rustic. The Oldies Room in the lodge could...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Montani42
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

This past weekend I went to Snowshoe Mountain with my family to snow tube and see the Village. I found this resort on Homeaway.com. We stayed in the Hippie units "Hippie" and "Jungle". The rooms were large and comfortable with the smell of fresh cedar. The jungle had a loft with futon which my 12 yr old niece loved. For the value of this resort I would have paid at least $900 a night at Snowshoe. The cost at ESR was only $224! The units were clean however the ceiling fans needed dusting which is why I gave a 4 instead of 5 for cleanliness. Looked like they hadn't been dusted in months. I was not wearing my glasses and I could see the "fur" growing on the blades.
We did eat at the resorts restaurant. We had the pizza and fries. For a small pizza that cost $13 I expected more than what was served. I did not ask but most certain was frozen. Was just warm, cheese not melted all the way. Cheap gritty type cheese and thick cardboard like doe. Fries a bit greasy and soft. But better than pizza.
The staff are all very friendly and make you feel welcome. Everybody is very laid back type country folk which sets the mood for small town charm and hospitality.
All the cabins and lodge are very beautiful and well maintained.. Resort has trout stock ponds that are incorporated into the landscaping. We enjoyed walking around looking at the trout. The headwaters of the Elk River (where the resort is located) was very high with strong currents. I could hear the water when I walked out of my unit across the street. Water was very clear, blue, with whitewater rushing over large rocks. My favorite experience of our visit.
Will be back. God Bless.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank TravelingTraveler2
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I found out about Elk Springs River & Resort, last Aug 2013. We fell in love with the place, and the people who work there. They have a wonderful chief "Jerry" everything he makes is great. The guides are so helpful in giving you tips on what to use for bait. Never ending fly shop that has anything you would need at your finger tips.

We jump in the jeep and go down to Elk River fishing every other weekend. We love it.

Room Tip: Hippie House & Erica / Ashley/ Farmhouse / Sportsman cabins are near the water and walking dista...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amy K
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

If you are looking to get away from cell phones, computers and traffic for some peace and seclusion this is the place to go. Elk Springs Resort is a hidden getaway.

Rooming:
We stayed in one of the Hippie Units. It was very clean, nice, new, organized and efficient for our needs. There is a microwave, mini fridge, coffee maker and washer/dryer for guest use. The TV is specifically for VHS or DVD use only (you might want to bring your own supply of movies if you're expecting a rainy day), no cable...our screen had tracking issues. The bed was comfortable and there is a second floor (although the lights weren't working) that had a futon bed and privacy for a second couple or children.

Restaurant:
The food was good and the meal plan is definitely the way to go if you are staying for one or more full days. Make sure you try the trout chowder and the peanut butter pie, both are delicious. Don't be in a hurry though as the atmosphere is laid back.

Fishing:
Definitely a getaway for fly fishers. Everything on the property is fly fishing, catch and release only. It is a hatchery so you can see all of the trout in the ponds on the property. If you go down the road 2+ miles there are sections where you can keep what you catch. Although the farther from the resort the fewer the fish. But there is a very nice scenic area with beautiful waterfalls that you might want to check out.

As a couple we were looking for a remote, secluded location to get away from the hectic pace of every day life and we found it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wes95
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monterville
The Resort at Glade Springs
#1 of 1 in White Sulphur Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,317 reviews
Harman's Luxury Log Cabins
Country Road Cabins

Been to Elk Springs Resort? Share your experiences!