Elk Springs Resort
Centennial Motel(Buckhannon)
$85
Travelocity
$124
All reviewsfly shoptroutfly fishingelk springswest virginialodge buildinggreat getawaygas stationriverelliehatcherylodgingsnowshoeunitsskiingwoodsdishwasher
Reviewed February 13, 2014

This past weekend I went to Snowshoe Mountain with my family to snow tube and see the Village. I found this resort on Homeaway.com. We stayed in the Hippie units "Hippie" and "Jungle". The rooms were large and comfortable with the smell of fresh cedar. The jungle had a loft with futon which my 12 yr old niece loved. For the value of this resort I would have paid at least $900 a night at Snowshoe. The cost at ESR was only $224! The units were clean however the ceiling fans needed dusting which is why I gave a 4 instead of 5 for cleanliness. Looked like they hadn't been dusted in months. I was not wearing my glasses and I could see the "fur" growing on the blades.
We did eat at the resorts restaurant. We had the pizza and fries. For a small pizza that cost $13 I expected more than what was served. I did not ask but most certain was frozen. Was just warm, cheese not melted all the way. Cheap gritty type cheese and thick cardboard like doe. Fries a bit greasy and soft. But better than pizza.
The staff are all very friendly and make you feel welcome. Everybody is very laid back type country folk which sets the mood for small town charm and hospitality.
All the cabins and lodge are very beautiful and well maintained.. Resort has trout stock ponds that are incorporated into the landscaping. We enjoyed walking around looking at the trout. The headwaters of the Elk River (where the resort is located) was very high with strong currents. I could hear the water when I walked out of my unit across the street. Water was very clear, blue, with whitewater rushing over large rocks. My favorite experience of our visit.
Will be back. God Bless.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank TravelingTraveler2
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I found out about Elk Springs River & Resort, last Aug 2013. We fell in love with the place, and the people who work there. They have a wonderful chief "Jerry" everything he makes is great. The guides are so helpful in giving you tips on what to use for bait. Never ending fly shop that has anything you would need at your finger tips.

We jump in the jeep and go down to Elk River fishing every other weekend. We love it.

Room Tip: Hippie House & Erica / Ashley/ Farmhouse / Sportsman cabins are near the water and walking distance to the restaurant. The Lodge is in the middle of the resort and shares a large kitchen for all guest to use.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amy K
Reviewed September 22, 2013

If you are looking to get away from cell phones, computers and traffic for some peace and seclusion this is the place to go. Elk Springs Resort is a hidden getaway.

Rooming:
We stayed in one of the Hippie Units. It was very clean, nice, new, organized and efficient for our needs. There is a microwave, mini fridge, coffee maker and washer/dryer for guest use. The TV is specifically for VHS or DVD use only (you might want to bring your own supply of movies if you're expecting a rainy day), no cable...our screen had tracking issues. The bed was comfortable and there is a second floor (although the lights weren't working) that had a futon bed and privacy for a second couple or children.

Restaurant:
The food was good and the meal plan is definitely the way to go if you are staying for one or more full days. Make sure you try the trout chowder and the peanut butter pie, both are delicious. Don't be in a hurry though as the atmosphere is laid back.

Fishing:
Definitely a getaway for fly fishers. Everything on the property is fly fishing, catch and release only. It is a hatchery so you can see all of the trout in the ponds on the property. If you go down the road 2+ miles there are sections where you can keep what you catch. Although the farther from the resort the fewer the fish. But there is a very nice scenic area with beautiful waterfalls that you might want to check out.

As a couple we were looking for a remote, secluded location to get away from the hectic pace of every day life and we found it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wes95
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Joined a group of guys for a fly fishing, white water rafting and golf trip in the mountains of West Virginia and had a great time. Stayed at the Broadwater Lodge in the Elk Springs Resort and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The kitchen amenities are okay, somewhat limited on the glass, silverware enough where we had to bring additional supplies. Rooms nicely decorated with a theme for each one. I stayed in the Oldies Room which was okay, kind of dark though. One thing I did bring to management's attention was the back door from my room to the entry way to the back deck does not lock. It is a very safe area to be in, but a bit concerning that the door does not lock? Overall the experience was great and would recommend to anyone especially if you like to fly fish which is fantastic. We did not eat in the restaurant though I heard it was good and you can have fresh caught Rainbow Trout from their stocked streams/ponds or catch them yourselves! The restaurant which is a short walk from the Lodge offers a $35 per day meal plan if you don't want to cook which is a good value to include 3 meals/day.

Room Tip: The Safari Suite and Sea Suite are excellent rooms. The Oldies Room is dark and the back door does not lock. The Fishing Room is near the Great Hall and so your more exposed to noise in that room, but has a nice size fridge and couch. The Hunting Room is at the far end of the lodge and is the most quiet. The Western Room is closest to the kitchen and laundry facilities so you may have noise there. Both the Western and Oldies room share a hallway out to the back porch which is convenient, however that door does not lock to the outside. All rooms have a security system, but we were not shown how to use it? Even if you rent the entire lodge, you may expect to see other visitors just walk into the front entrance unless you lock the door from the entry way into the great hall since they may borrow kitchen items and movies from the library of VHS tapes (who still watches VHS?) which are stored in the Lodge.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Buzz6995
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great getaway! Elk Springs Resort located in Monterville WV was the setting for a fly fishing trip for disabled veterans sponsored by Wounded Warriors and Dominion Transmission, Inc. The sponsors, the staff, the guides (mostly employees with Dominion Transmission, Inc.) were superb! The restaurant at the resort was very good. They served up fresh trout caught right on the site. They raise trout, as well as stock the streams and the Elk River. You can choose from fly fishing in their stream fed ponds or step over about 25 feet and fish right in the Elk River!!! The Fly Fishing Shop located above the restaurant is one of the largest in the area. I even purchased a handmade wooden bowl made by the restaurant's chef, Jerry Strawderman!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends