“Wonderful Place Hidden in Mtns of WV”
Review of Elk Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterville
Elk Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monterville
Bridgeport, West Virginia
“Wonderful Place Hidden in Mtns of WV”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Had the pleasure of spending 3 nights and days at Elk Springs with wounded warriors. The staff went out of their way to accomodate the Warriors and assure their fishing experience was awesome. Many smiles on the warriors faces, and all said they wish to return. beautiful lodges cabins, great fishing, food and cabins.

Room Tip: cabins by the water are secluded, shaded and very nice
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank PEGgrubb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
King George, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have stayed here a couple times now. The new restaurant/fly shop is TOP NOTCH! The staff is very helpful and want to make sure your stay is very comfortable and enjoyable. I will continue to return as long as I can. I have stayed in the Fishing Room in the lodge and in a couple of the cabins. The Lodge is wonderful. I go with a large group a couple times a year and I have heard not one compliant from anyone that comes. This is the place to go to if you just want to sit back and relax, fish, read a book, or just enjoy the mountain side.

Room Tip: If you want new or an updated setting choose a room in the lodge. The cabins are fine though if you...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank David S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I Just got back from a great 3 day getaway to WV to try out a new Fishing Lodge called Elk Springs Resort. We actually heard about this place from Fly Rod Chronicles on the Fishing Channel. Nothing but great things to say about this place..from the Restaurant, to the lodging, to the best trout fishing on the east coast in the continental USA within a 6 hour drive of Washington DC. First, the Elk River...this river is full of Trout year round because the head of the Elk river emerges from the ground here on the private waters of the resort and always stays wel below 60 degrees. Elk Springs resort also sports a pay pound for those that dont like wading. You pay $3 per popund of their stocked trout pond. They also hatch their won trout. You may also pay for the priviledge of fly fishing from some of the largest trout you may have ever seen. There are Brown , Brook and Rainbow trout of up to 6 plus pounds in their ponds, and raceways at Elk Springs Resort.It was frigid water in the latter part of July. With the air temps being in the 80s I thought I would wet wade in the river to fly fish, but as soon as my feet got wet, I changed my mind immediately. The fishing was challenging, but I am a newbie fly fisherman, so I didn't expent to land anything on the first try. I did get several strikes however.

Now the Lodging...We were quite impressed by the spaciousness, and raw beauty of the lodge, as well as the other cabins. If you can, try and get the Sea Suite. It is my favorite room in the Lodge. It was huge...but, check out the other rooms in the lodge, as there are not really a single bad room in the place. There are several other cabins also for rent if you want to have more privacy, as the lodge has a shared greatroom. We lucked out when we rented our room on Friday night, and had the whole lodge to ourselves. Take a look at the lodge pics on the website.www.elkspringsresort.com and you will see why we were so excited to have the whole lodge to ourselves for only $150.00 per night.

The Restaurant...Ellie May's Ole Mill Restaurant is a short walk from the Lodge and the cabins and has great meal options. They also offer a meal plan for guests for B,L,D for only $35 pp per day. Trout features prominently on their menu, and is highly recommended. Fried trout sandwiched for lunch are winners as are the pan fried trout for dinner. They also offer a well stocked bar with reasonable draft beer and mixed drink prices.

The Fly Shop...Upstairs from the Restaurant is the Fly Shop, which stocks everything you need to fly fish. They also offer guided trips to help newbies like me learn to fly fish. I recommend prior reservations to ensure you can get a trip booked. If you wait until the day of your visit, there may not be any available guides, especially in May-June.

All in all, this is one great getaway that will please even the most discerning traveller. Good luck catching the biggens!

Room Tip: Stay in the Lodge if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tegemeister
King George, Virginia, United States
Reviewed April 23, 2012

we had a group of about 20 people and the staff went out of there way to accomidate our party they went above and beyond by extending resturant/bar hours and even shipping our forgotten items free of charge .Service like this is hard to find . we had a blast The mountains and streams are amazing we would highly recommend the resort

Room Tip: cabins feel like home
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Wooster
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My good friend and I spent 2 days at a combined continuing education course combining dental education with learning to fly fish. I had never done fly fishing before and so we hired a guide named Bill. Early on he asked us to define what we wanted and we told him " show us the basics". Bill is combination philospher and fly fishing guide. Cannot think of a better teacher. There was no rush, he helped us get "our feet wet",got us started in learning to cast, taught us some of the many tips of fly fishing, and motivated us with his enthusiasm for the sport and in short made our stay a great experience and one we will likely repeat.
All of our 15 attendees were super impressed with any guide that they engaged so I don't think you can go wrong with any guide. I would highly encourage engaging a guide to get you started right unless you are really proficient. A guide gets you started on the right foot.
The accomodations at the Lodge with outstanding. If there were problems before they have been solved. Beautifully designed rustic environments with all the amenities. First class furnishings and environment.
Chad in the Fly Shop deserves special recognition because he does whatever is necessary to make your trip "work". Could not have had better customer service. He rented us equipment, made it work, corrected any malfunctions, and all with a "what can I do to make your stay better" attitude. Chad is definitely an asset to this Resort and a wealth of knowledge as well. He runs a great Fly Shop.
In short, this is a great place to relax, get away from it all, learn a new skill, practice an old skill if you already know how to fly fish, and even get some continuing education in a fantastic setting.
Did I mention we had a great time?
Cannot recommend this resort enough. Don't expect to go shopping nearby or be entertained but if you are content to entertain yourself, learn some things, and just relax, this could be the place.
Sounds like I work for them. I do not. I am a dentist from Ohio who needed to recharge my batteries and that is exactly what happened.

Room Tip: The Lodge was fantastic with balconies. HUGE meeting room to chat, learn, read a book,etc. Did not s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank woosailor
Hocking Hills, Ohio
Reviewed November 13, 2011

The setting here is absolutley beautiful. The staff is very freindly and helpful. We stayed in the Hippie Cabin. The cabin was clean and adequate but needs some TLC. All-in-all we really had a good time and would like to stay again; perhaps in the spring when the fishing is at its best.

Room Tip: If you've never fished the Elk River before, I would highly recomend springing for a guide for a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank RWW2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My wife, our little dog Guinness, and I just spent 4 nights camping in the campgrounds at the resort. It was nice because we had the entire campground to ourselves and the weather was perfect. My wife spent a lot of time in the hammock we brought, reading. The bonus for us was that Loretta and VA, who work there, were always around the restaurant and fly shop area, and we had breakfast there two mornings and lunch there once. We cooked at the campsite most of the 4 days we were there, but it was convenient to go over and get a hot breakfast. With just a little work, the campgrounds would be very comfortable and spacious.

The fish hatchery was beautiful as well as the grounds of the resort. The setting was like being on a movie set it was so pretty. It was very remote and a wonderful escape.

I went fishing with Dave Breitmeier, the local guide, and had a great day. Dave knows this river like no one else and is one of the best guides I have used. We caught fish in almost every place we stopped, but the best was a 17" brown caught on a wet "puff daddy". Ask Dave about that one! I learned a lot from Dave and he is a great guide.

We toured the resort and the grounds, and this is going to be quite a place. We were there during the week and pretty much had the place to ourselves, but it is busy on the weekends. When the word gets out, I expect this resort will be very busy. I know it will be busy during the spring fly fishing season.

The river and mountains are beautiful, the trout challenging, and the staff is very hospitable. We had a relaxing trip in a beautiful part of the country we had not visited.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Jim1545
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monterville
Silver Creek Lodge
#3 of 3 in Snowshoe
Mountain Lodge Condos
Mountain Lodge Condos
#20 of 24 in Snowshoe

Been to Elk Springs Resort? Share your experiences!