“Nightmare evening”

Comfort Suites Mineral Wells
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Mineral Wells
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stay at a lot of hotels and this is the first time I ever asked for a refund. The manger gave us the "coupon rate" and knocked about 25% off the bill, which I am thankful for, but for all the problems and frustration, it was not worth it.

The hotel itself is ok. The room was clean and it was plenty large. My wife and I booked the room a few nights before for a stay on our motorcycle trip. We checked in about 6:30 and the young girl seemed a little ditzy. We went and ate and went to bed early because we were very tired. I think it was about 10:30 when we hear someone trying to get in our room. I think they are getting in the next room and just really loud but they keep trying and eventually I realize they are trying to get in my room. I had it dead-bolted so I didn't notice they were actually opening the lock because the girl up front has given them keys to out room. I look out and see some people saying "there's someone in there!". I called the front desk and the girl is completely flustered and confused. She asked me why I didn't check out this morning. I explained that I just got there at 6:30. This went back and forth a little and then when she asked my name, she said, "Oh my God, you're in the wrong room". I was in the room that she wrote on my key and my key opened the door I explained. She said I was in 126 but was supposed to be in 128. I think she really thought I was going to move for a minute. Then she said she would call back.

After a bit, she called and said she was sorry and was taking care of it. I asked if I could talk to a manager and she said she had already called and woken up the manager, but I could talk with her in the morning. I asked her to leave notes for the manager so we could discuss this.

Then to make matters worse the wedding party apparently moved from the pub to outside my door. They were hanging out and talking loud and we couldn't sleep. I called and she said "yeah I've already got cussed out a minute ago". But she apologized and this time took care of it quickly because they left soon after that. I just think they should have processes in place that would ensure the wrong room isn't given and secondly when there is a problem there needs to be more professional service on the phone.

Lastly, after the noise outside died down, the people above us must have been having a walkathon on our paper-thin ceiling because it sounded like elephants were herding for over an hour. So beware the floors / ceilings.

In the morning the manager said the only note she had from the night staff was that there was a problem that needed to be straightened out. I would say that if they fix the personnel issue, the ceiling is the only thing you should be aware of if you are considering this hotel. The room was clean, beds were fine and the breakfast was good, too. Our experience was really bad, but that was specific to the night and to us.

They still get a terrible review that I believe is justified. Just think what would have happen if we had not had the dead-bolt locked. Or if they had come when we were out at dinner.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank G4VTX
Mid_AtlanticMichele, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Suites Mineral Wells, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. While we were glad to hear that your room was clean and that you appreciated the spaciousness of the size of our rooms, we were very sorry to hear about the rest of your experience. It is unacceptable that a room mix up such as yours would occur. We were also disappointed to hear that there was a lack of appropriate communication between staff members about your experience. Your feedback has been taken very seriously and we have addressed room security procedures again with our staff members. Appropriate measures have been taken to ensure this does not happen to future guests. We apologize on behalf of the celebrating guests that were not considerate of other guests in the hotel. Every attempt is made to ensure that all guests have a quiet, relaxing visit with us. Again, we truly appreciate your honest and detailed feedback as this helps us to improve the experience for our future guests.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

If it weren't for the HORRIBLE service at this hotel, we would have given it a 5. As it was, if I could give it a quarter point, I would. A "block" of rooms had been supposedly reserved for a wedding we were attending. However, the rooms were scattered all over the hotel. And there were lots of problems with the reservations. When I made reservations several months ahead for my husband and myself, I was told we would only get the discount rate for the actual wedding day, not the day before when we were arriving. I had to call the mother of the bride who contacted the hotel to straighten things out. Our younger daughter had the same problem when she was making her reservations. She called me to get our confirmation number to give to the woman at the desk to prove that the lower rate was correct for whatever dates people were staying. Then, our older daughter called three times from Moscow, Russia, to make her reservations and had the exact same problem with the staff, needing to contact the mother-of-the bride to fix the problem. On the day this daughter and her boyfriend arrived to check in, they were told there were no rooms in either her name or her boyfriend's name. It took an hour and a half to come to any kind of a solution. When this daughter made her reservations, she reserved 2 rooms for 2 days. The hotel set aside 2 rooms for 1 day. But, it was for the following day, not the day they arrived. So, they had NO room for the night. No apologizes from the staff. No help in solving the problem. No accepting of any responsibility for their mistake. They just DIDN'T CARE. At the same time, there were other people sitting in the lobby who had been told that there was no room available for them either even though they too had reservations. And they were also given no help, no apologies, no nothing. The hotel had overbooked on purpose to not lose money on rooms that people didn't appear for. All they cared about was money, certainly not customers. Then, the next morning, when our son and his wife arrived to check in, they discovered that they too, had no room available despite having had made reservations. Again, no apologies, no help finding anything else in the area, no compensation. My son ended up staying at a place 25 minutes away. Was not able to enjoy the wedding to the fullest. We will NEVER stay at this place or any place associated with it again.

Room Tip: The best tip I have is to stay away from this place and book a room elsewhere.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary Fran C

While it may be very difficult to hear that we have failed to take care of our guests in a satisfactory manner, especially for something as memorable as a wedding celebration, we very much appreciate such feedback so that we may seek ways to improve future guest experiences. We pride ourselves in providing the best of guest service to all of our guests and it sounds as if we really missed the mark with your group. When we contract with a group such as yours we do try to clarify upfront that it is impossible to "guarantee" room placement but that it is in our own best interest for guest satisfaction to do so when at all possible. With groups there are typically multiple placement requests and we try to meet those requests to the best of our ability. The person initiating the group is also notified that the block will drop off typically three weeks prior to arrival date, in order to have time to resell any rooms remaining in the block, if the rooms are not individually guaranteed by credit card by individuals attending. Our goal is that the entire reservation process is seamless for the every guest that calls in to reserve from a group block. I am very, very sorry that this was not the case with your group. We have taken your comments to heart and met with the team at the hotel to determine ways to ensure that future groups flow in a much better fashion. Thank you again for your honest feedback.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We arrived at 4:35 on Wednesday after a Dr. visit because had a shot scheduled for his spine at a clinic in Parkersburg. We have stayed at this particular hotel before and had a good experience. This time however, when we arrived, we were not offered the same courtesy drink in the restaurant/bar by the clerk checking us in at the front desk. We did not receive a courtesy call in our room later, either. When we got to the room the first thing I saw in the shower was a hair stuck to the side of it and soap on the little ridge where obviously the previous occupant had put their soap while showering. I did take a couple of pictures but do not have our camera with me at this time to post but will update this review the next time I get online, hopefully. Everything else in the room was fine, but having just had an invasive medical procedure, neither of us were comfortable with the idea of using an obviously still soiled shower after another guest’s visit. I was a bit agitated and squirted some of their skin lotion under the hair in the shower and also wrote in soap on the mirror so they would have to clean the restroom very well for the next occupant after we left. I took pictures of the actions I took. Again, everything else in the room looked ok as far as I could tell. The breakfast food wasn’t very good quality when I went down to eat around 8:30 the next morning. It was dried out. The biscuits were hard as a rock, even putting gravy over it didn’t help very much. The lady serving the breakfast was friendly and helpful; obviously there is only so much you can do with poor quality food. If management is trying to save money and use lesser quality products it is not the employees fault. Anyway, we will not be staying there when we have to return again in a couple of weeks but will look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Amanana1
Mid_AtlanticMichele, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Suites Mineral Wells, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

It is never easy to get less-than-complimentary feedback on a guest's experience at our hotel. However, all feedback is welcomed as it can be used to better train our team and maintain our property's favorable condition. It is especially disheartening to hear when a returning guest did not have the same level of guest service and housekeeping that they experienced during their previous stay and certainly expected to receive during a repeat visit. We sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of your guest room did not meet your expectation and that our desk staff did not provide our standard courtesy drink coupons and did not make the standard courtesy call to the room. Our hotel strives to adhere not only to internal hotel breakfast standards but also to those set forth by the franchise in providing a plentiful and fresh buffet. We have clearly missed the mark in several areas and your comments have been reviewed with the staff in all departments. We never want to hear that a guest decides to select an alternate hotel for future stays and hope that you will give us another try. Thank you again for caring enough to share your feedback with us.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My family stayed here on a Friday night after a busy work week so my oldest daughter could participate in a cross country meet. Unfortunately, I left my iPad in our room after checking out and did not realize it until her event was over and we made the 80 mile trip home. We came home to find messages from the hotel on our home answering machine. I immediately left to retrieve my iPad. The staff had it locked up very securely and returned it to me. Wow. What a wonderful thing.
In addition, the facilities were clean, the pool was very nice, the room was large and comfortable. We stayed in a queen suite. The rates were reasonable, and the breakfast had hot items available. I would consider coming back for a getaway, and would like to try a courtyard room.
I am a very satisfied customer. Highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: The queen suite is very spacious. The bathroom was huge! I think rooms facing the courtyard would...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Mid_AtlanticMichele, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Suites Mineral Wells, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

We so loved hearing that you were a "very satisfied customer". That is our goal at the Comfort Suites Mineral Wells - that our guests are so satisfied that they will share their experience as you have in your review and that they also want to return again. We are glad to hear that the staff took great care of your iPad and promptly notified you that it had been left behind. We are very proud of our staff and their commitment to our guests. We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms, indoor/outdoor pool and complimentary hot breakfast buffet. Do come back for that getaway and remind us to reserve you a courtyard room!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We arrived around 3:30 on a Saturday during the Stern Wheel festival in Marietta. The hotel's large size surprised me! The staff is very friendly. The rooms have recently been redecorated (nicely done.) There is a very nice court yard that features benches, a grill and the pool (half of which is indoors.) First floor rooms appear to have both interior and exterior doors.

One of the beds in our room appeared to have not had a bedding change, but was "made." I had pulled back the covers to check for bugs and found hair and dirt on the sheet. You could see the imprint where someone had laid down. When we contacted the front desk, we were told housekeeping had been sent home for the day. A very nice maintenance man was dispatched and brought fresh sheets. There was also dog hair visible on both comforters, but we didn't complain (we don't touch the comforters anyway!)

Having said that, everything else was very fresh and clean. My bed was one the most comfortable I have ever slept in.The amenities offered here are great. There is a pub, but I did not get a chance to check it out. The hotel also offers a banquet facility.

The pool is open until 11:00 (later then most hotels we've been to!) After the festival, we got back to the hotel at 11:00, but were told we could go in the pool if we wanted, because the housekeeping staff was having at "after-hours" party. We declined the invitation.

If we are in the area, we will definitely stay here again, but will ask if they have any "no pet" rooms.

Room Tip: If you have allergies, I would ask for a room they do not allow pets in.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather M

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review. We very much value such feedback from our guests - both the positive and the negative - so that we are able to better serve future guests. We do apologize sincerely for failing to meet our housekeeping standards with your bedding. We obviously missed the boat there and have reviewed our housekeeping procedures again with our staff to ensure this is not repeated. That being said, so glad to hear that everything else was clean and that you were able to enjoy several of our extra amenities - like the indoor/outdoor pool and spacious courtyard. The Stern Wheel Festival in Marietta is a favorite for many of our guests and our location is a convenient access. Your next visit we hope you'll be able to visit our McGregor's Pub as well. Please visit again!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here over the weekend. Very easy to find. Room was very large with a love seat and coffeetable, fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker. both the room and bathroom were very clean. confortable mattress. front desk people were very friendly. breakfast buffet was plentiful and hot. refreshed constantly. would definately stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Darlene M

"Recommend highly" is such an awesome way to begin a review! We loved hearing how much you enjoyed your stay at our Comfort Suites Mineral Wells and appreciate your sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. As a suite hotel we do have very spacious rooms - nice sitting areas and desk areas as well as all of the in room amenities you mentioned. Our guests share with us that they also really appreciate the spacious grounds - the interior courtyard as well as the surrounding grounds - great place to stretch the legs after being on the road! We do pride ourselves on our very extensive hot breakfast buffet with its many, many options sure to suit every palate. Thank you again for your kind review - please visit again soon!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have stayed in a couple of Comfort Suites. This was by far the nicest I have stayed in. The room was nice and spacious, the bed was very comfortable, the A/C worked good and stayed on, They also had LMN on the channel lineup. It was a last minute reservation from the road. If my company would approve this hotel I would stay again undoubtedly! Wonderful courtyard, pool and grill area. Just awesome. Beautiful property. Awesome!

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor and just wonderful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Mid_AtlanticMichele, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites Mineral Wells, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you so very much for your review of your recent stay with us. What a wonderful compliment that we are the nicest Comfort Suites that you have stayed in - we are honored! We are so thrilled to read all of your positive feedback about how much you enjoyed your stay - everything from the spacious room, comfortable bed and tv channel lineup. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed the pool and courtyard/grilling area. Many of our guests love relaxing in these areas after a long day on the road or at work. We would love for you to stay with us each time you are in the area. We would be happy to chat with the folks at your company to ensure that we are on your "approved lodging" list.

Many thanks again for taking the time to share your positive experience with others on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mineral Wells
Wingate by Wyndham Vienna Parkersburg
The Blennerhassett Hotel
The Blennerhassett Hotel
#2 of 11 in Parkersburg

Been to Comfort Suites Mineral Wells? Share your experiences!