“Weekend visit”

Blenko Glass Company Studios & Gallery
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Milton
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for first ever visit while visiting Milton for the Pumpkin Festival. We was suprised to find such a beautiful setting. A pond full of friendly ducks and geese awaited my family and I, welcoming us to our first experience.
Entering the visitor center, we learned they do not blow glass on Wednesdays and Saturdays, so we missed that experience. But the glass and items on hand are amazing and well worth the visit! It's hard to believe or describe the wonderful pieces you will find. Which makes me say we will be back to see what's new. If in the greater Huntington or even Charleston area, it's surely a great stop and is just minutes off of I-64, and very well marked.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is one of the few remaining blown-glass factories in America. They make fine glassware, both decorative and functional. I last visited this factory over 45 years ago as a child, and it looks much the same, including the colorful piles of broken glass, grouped by color, outside the factory. Don't expect anything fancy, but I love the glassware. I particularly like their squared water jugs, now made in a smaller version as well as the standard. The factory is not as busy as it was in its heyday, but you can still tour and watch the glassworkers at work, and they have a small museum of their art and of stained glass windows salvaged from old buildings, made by factories now closed down. I encourage people to visit these places while they are still around; sadly, so many of them have closed, and with the closing, a part of America.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Local artisans continuing the old world tradition of hand blown glass manufacturing continuing a
WV mountain tradition as the last remaining commercial business still engaged after nearly 90 years in this location. Not only are the products available in a retail setting, tours are available throughout the facility and classes are regularly scheduled for small fee to make your own treasure.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our family made an impromptu detour during a road trip when we saw the glass factory tour bilboard. I got very excited when i realized it was Blenko Glass Company as I already have a small collection of their work. the tour is, as mentioned, self guided, and really just a viewing area where you can see the artist teams at work. The teams all work at the ame time around a central furnace, and take breaks at the same time too. We caught thte tail end of one run then went down to the shop while they were on break where of course i found one more small piece to add to my collection. Then we returned upstairs and over the walkway to be entranced by the well coreographed dance of glassmaking. The guys walk around with hot and delicate glass as casually as i walk through the park. All those big tough dudes making really delicate beautiful things. Amazing.

Our kids range in age from 7 - 17 and all were fascinated. We also just stood for ages looking at the huge color separated piles of broken glass sparkling in the sun after a good rain fall. Soooo pretty!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

While driving through I64 in West Virginia take the Milton exit drive 3 minutes out of town and visit and tour the Blenko Glass factory. Located next to the Mud River Blenko is an institution hand blowing glass bowls, vases, tumblers, and objects of art daily. The tour consists of walking up a set of steps through a display depicting the history of Blenko glass. Walk through the double doors across a bridge connecting the visitor center with the factory. You stand outside under a huge overhang and watch the Blenko artist melting glass, blowing glass, shaping glass, cutting glass all practicing the art of glass manufacturing. Each artist/employee has s special job to preform in the creature of the glass pieces. The Visitor Center is filled with a wide variety of the glass pieces created on site. Most pieces are high quality seconds, but first quality pieces are available at much lower pieces you will find else where. Not interested in buying any glass, that is fine, to and enjoy the magic of making glass.