The Falkland Arms
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Heythrop Park Resort(Chipping Norton)
$105
$101
Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford(Chipping Norton)(Great Value!)
$130
$108
$195
$151
$66
Middle Aston House(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$99
Priceline
Crown and Cushion Hotel(Chipping Norton)
$99
$100
Bell Hotel(Charlbury)
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe pubflagstone floorsthatched roofold english publow ceilingsbeautiful villagegreat beerfish and chipsfolk nightopen firereal aleduckrooms are smallfor sunday lunchpicture postcard villagefantastic locationold building
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I first visited the Falkland Arms in July 1990 and what a revelation it was too. This fabulous historic Inn sits in an out of the way corner of Oxfordshire in a way that I did not think possible in this day and age. No main road, no street lights and lovely walks through rolling countryside with picture book cottages. I can remember the signs at the front of the Inn that feature in the painting in the dining room. I have visited many times, eaten at both lunch and dinner but ironically never stayed there until now. Living in Devon for the past ten years I know a few good Inns and beauty spots but this is up there with the best. The bar area is an amazing atmospheric place full of character and fascinating ornaments and pictures. To sit there of an evening when most of the regulars have gone and the fire is dying you can almost imagine what it was like four hundred years ago. As someone else said at one time they used to have a changing menu with regard to ales. This does now appear to be limited to Wadworths but there are still some fine ales on hand. The rooms are small but I knew this before I booked and it is all part of the charm. The bed was exceptionally comfortable, the room warm and inviting. This isn't about state of the art modern but old world charm at its best, a haven from an increasingly mad world. The current hostess is extremely friendly and helpful, the waitress was polite and efficient. The dinner menu is good but not quite as it used to be but the price does reflect this and I enjoyed what I had. The breakfast was made of quality ingredients and plenty of it, housed in the small but equally characterful dinning room. My only real gripe about the Falkland is the wine list, again not as it was but no different to hundreds of other places. This Inn been in the location it is I would have thought that amongst its regular cliental it would have had a few customers that would appreciate a bottle of Sancerre or Viognier. There was only one French red on the list and the usual pub fare of indifferent New World wines. Thats progress I suppose. Altogether a most enjoyable stay in a unique Inn staffed by able and friendly people, I will return but I'll leave the clay pipe behind next time. Only joking!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank catoliver
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Biked here on Sunday from Oxford and was met with a wonderful meal and lovely scrumpy cider !
The only fly in the ointment was an annoying yuppie in the bar spouting cr*p ! He was later to be seen smoking a CLAY PIPE out the front. Probably worth a trip just to see this idiot !!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2012

This was our second stay but still excited us. We arrived at Sunday lunchtime and enjoyed a beer and sandwich sat outside. Our room was beautiful, full of character and in keeping with the village and pub. The old english pub theme continued with folk musuc in the evening. We ate in the bar to lap up the atmosphere. I had the sea bass which was beautiful although my wife's seafood pancake wasnt as good. After a peaceful night's sleep it was time to eat again! Breakfast was excellent and we both chose the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. The full english also looked good. I dont usually revisit places becaus ethere are so many to discover but this will surely deserve a third trip!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Met up with old friends here for the weekend, the village is picturesque and the pub itself is absolutely gorgeous. We received a warm welcome and booked into a fabulous room with a four poster bed (quite small but I don't think they had en suites in those days!). Atmosphere was friendly and we loved the original floors and traditional furnishings.The food was traditional pub fare and the service was excellent.

Room Tip: Go for the biggest! All are quiet though.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We went for Sunday lunch having booked and found this was a dog friendly pub. We were surprised at some of the other reviews which highlighted poor service. From the initial phone call, through to being offered another table that gave us more space, the service was excellent. The food was great, service efficient, locals very friendly. We will come back with the dog and our outlaws!

• Stayed: February 2011