“good choice - looks great for families”

Hampton Inn Martinsburg
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Martinsburg
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I stopped in here spontaneously on a road trip and was very pleased with the hotel. Check in was quick and easy; the facilities, hallways, elevators, and rooms were clean and quiet. I got a great night's sleep on a comfortable bed, and was not disturbed by anyone or any noises. The breakfast looked great - due to dietary restrictions, I cannot eat most of it, but it looked bountiful with hot items. I enjoyed fresh blueberries from the bar with my cereal! The coffee was good, too. I think this motel would especially appeal to people traveling with children or teens because of all the nearby amenities including a Regal theater across the street, several family friendly restaurants, and an all night grocery/pharmacy on the next lot for any needed items. The outdoor pool at the motel looked good, too. Another bonus that pleased me: they were using as many biodegradable service items (bowls, cups, cutlery, etc.) as possible and the toilet was a low water usage type.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank roadripper
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Martinsburg

Reviewed May 22, 2010

I think the location is the only thing positive about this property. It is a below average Hampton. The service is average; the rooms are not that clean; and the breakfast service and quality of food is average. Employees take their smoke breaks at one of the doors and you are hit with that stench when you depart. The front desk staff I interacted with were somewhat indifferent. My only choice in the area is an even worse Holiday Inn but if I was able, I would have headed farther up 81 to find better.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelerONE2468
Reviewed January 23, 2010

While my experience at this Hampton was fine in terms of facilities and stay, I ran into several issues which will prevent me from returning.

First, the front desk would not accept my West Virginia tax exemption forms - which were issued by the State of West Virginia. They insisted that I didn't have the proper documentation. When I informed them that my state-issued tax exemption forms had been accepted by every other of the dozens of hotels I had stayed in throughout West Virginia, they coyly informed me that the dozens of other hotels were "doing it wrong." I never did get my tax exemption, and had to pay tax on my room even though I work for an in-state 501(c)3 tax exempt institution.

After that whole debacle, I checked into my room where I had planned to do work for the rest of the evening. The wireless internet was totally inoperable. I had two laptops with me, and neither of them would connect to the internet. Unfortunately I could not use the in-house business center because I required access to software and network software on my machines. When asking for help from the in-house staff, they blew me off twice before finally referring me to the nationwide tech support 800-number. After 35 minutes on hold, I gave up. I then asked the staff for recommendations for local restaurants with free WiFi so I could get at least some work done. Between them, the staff came up with a grand total of zero places for me to go. Instead of work, I ended up watching TV and missed a couple of deadlines as a result.

I will NOT be returning to the Martinsburg Hampton, especially if I need to be able to accomplish anything business-related..

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank sneaky424
Reviewed May 23, 2009

Our family stayed at the Hampton Inn recently to attend a sports event hosted in Martinsburg. We chose the Hampton Inn based on ratings and everything was satisfactory. The room was fine with no problems and it was nice to have a fridge and microwave. The coffee and fresh fruit in the lobby were appreciated, and also the fresh baked cookies late in the afternoon. The stay includes self-serve breakfast that isn't fancy but has what you need - cereal, fruit salad, danish, juice, coffee, etc. We were tired and wanted a convenient place to eat dinner, and the young man at the front desk told us about the Texas Steakhouse right next door and gave us a discount coupon. We went there and had a reasonable dinner with a great tall Newcastle Brown Ale on tap, and great service too. All we had to do was walk about one minute back to the room. We didn't have time but there is also a movie theater in walking distance across the parking lot. It's also right next to the Martinsburg Mall with Sears, JCPenney and WalMart if you forgot anything during your travels. I used the fitness room which is small but has a couple of treadmills, exercise bike, and an elliptical machine along with a tv in the room.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen J
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I make occassional visits to M-burg to visit family there. On each visit, I stay at this wonderful Hampton Inn. As we all know, hotels in this category can be hit or miss -- even those of the same brand. IMHO, this is the BEST Hampton Inn that I've ever experienced -- each and every time. It was renovated just over three years ago and is as pristine as the day they finished. The staff is friendly, conversation, and aims to please. When in this town, I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Brian R
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Absolutely great rooms, marble, new furniture, upscale, updated and clean! Great breakfast buffet....hot and cold foods!. Fruit/drinks available 24 hrs. Very nice staff! I would certainly recommend and stay again at this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank emwoak
Reviewed May 17, 2008

The hotel is close to a major road therefore if your room overlooks the road you are in for a bit of noise during the night.
Room amenities are standard and service is average. Not good not bad, the kind that you forget about as soon as you walk out the door.
Breakfast was very bad. Small choice and not of good quality.

Next time I would give something else a chance.

The property is clean and well looked after.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Gorkus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinsburg
Comfort Inn Aikens Center
#2 of 14 in Martinsburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Martinsburg
Hampton Inn Martinsburg South - Inwood
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town

Been to Hampton Inn Martinsburg? Share your experiences!