“The stay that wasn't”

Hampton Inn Martinsburg
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Martinsburg
Reviewed June 4, 2014

When I found out I had a meeting at the nearby National Conservation Training Center I reserved this hotel. Months ago. I try to maintain my loyalty with hilton brands and have been using them primarily for the past 3 years of work travel. I typically stay with Hampton because of the free wifi, the clean rooms and the really great business center. I checked into this hotel at about 5-6 pm on a Tuesday evening. Check in was ok, nothing notable except for there was no recognition of my hhonors status and I didn't get my free bottle of water like I normally do - no big deal. I went up to my room it was typical Hampton, everything looked clean - the only negative was that the bathroom looked pretty worn and the toilet didn't really flush properly. I changed, went out to find dinner, came back and began to do some work preparing for a quite important email that needed to be sent to Europe before I went bed. I noticed that the wifi was super slow so I gathered up my work things and headed to the business center, along the way asking the front desk attendant if perhaps the 4th floor had issues with wifi.....he said no and then advised that the internet was being worked on, and that it'd be down for the next few days. My first reaction was that he should have told me that at check-in. I brushed it off and tried to use the computers in the business center to just send an email and attachment. No go. The issues were also affecting the LAN. I went to the front desk hoping for a solution and the attendant didn't seem too concerned. I explained to him that I wouldn't have kept my reservation if he had disclosed the technology issues upon checkin and all he said was that he understood. It was at this point that I began fishing for other alternatives, like going to another property to use their computers, etc. nothing. It was now after 10 PM, there was not a Starbucks close and no place was open that might have free wifi. I made the decision that I couldn't keep my reservation and explained that to the front desk clerk, but told him that I wanted to call the hhonors line first to make sure I could get a room at another property. I called hhonors and it was determined that they couldn't help me stay at another hilton property so I am staying at another chain for this trip. I would imagine that this hotel caters to a lot of business travelers and that the wifi issue was a problem for more than just me. I would also imagine that the wifi work was scheduled in advance so this hotel could have sent an email blast to their guests during that time to make them aware. At the very least the clerk could have told me about it at check in and could have been a little more apathetic to my problem. If I had been made aware of this issue prior to my reservation I would have booked with another hilton property but Hilton lost my business on this trip because they didn't in my opinion do the right thing.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank gardentraveler1

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Every thing was great about my stay at Hampton Inn. I would recomend this to any one. If you stop at the welcome center as you are coming into the state they will call and make reservations for you and they get you a discount also.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We were in town for a funeral and only needed to stay here one night, so I really have no review of the cleaning staff.
The front desk was very friendly and efficient.
We were given the choice of which floor we preferred and we chose the 5th floor.
The room was quiet and comfortable. There was a faint sound of the background noise from the interstate, but it was not disturbing or annoying.
We found it most odd to see a post it note on the headboard of the bed that said:
"Duvet Covers & Sheets Are Clean For Your Arrival."

This was a first! Glad to know the sheets are clean! Thanks for letting us know!

The breakfast was good and there were several choices.

If we ever return to this area, we would stay here again.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

This hotel is very clean and the staff was wonderful. Will definitely stay again! This was a business trip so I didn't have a choice, but would now stay here for personal reasons if I need a hotel. The breakfast was also free and wasn't just waffles but they had omelets and sausage and things like that.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My family and I recently stayed at this location over a weekend. We were extremely disappointed in the service of the cleaning staff at the hotel. We returned Saturday night after a long day at the venue we were attending to find our room was not serviced. Beds were unmade, floors were dirty and nothing touched. The towels were replaced, however beyond that nothing was done. I am a Diamond member of the Hilton Honors and stay at their properties 3-4 nights/week and I have to say, this was definitely subpar for the normal standard I generally find at this chain of hotels. The front desk was very friendly, professional and accommodating.

2  Thank Stacey P
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My wife and I spent a week in the Gettysbury area, staying at the Hampton Inn in Martinsburg, WV. The hotel's staff was friendly and helpful and everything was clean and new. Our housekeepers were exceptional. The breakfast choices were wonderful. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2014

neat and clean beds are very comfy up to date room and bath .air quality easy to control.would recommend this Hotel to friends over all great place to stay.breakfast was excellent and better than any hotel as of lately.Quiet room with no noise from high way.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinsburg
Comfort Inn Aikens Center
#2 of 14 in Martinsburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Martinsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
Hampton Inn Martinsburg South - Inwood

Been to Hampton Inn Martinsburg? Share your experiences!