“Good History”
Review of Belle Boyd House

Belle Boyd House
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Take time ti visit and learn the perils of a young girl that eaves dropped on General's Conversations and then would risk her life to deliver messages of the opposite side. You can't even imagine living during that time.

2  Thank Jtingle13

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Like two other reviews I feel that the Boyd House is lacking in many ways. The tour and displays try to make up for the lack of represented history throughout the Eastern Panhandle, not the Boyd House. With a little professional help and public education about Boyd herself this house could be a great visit for everyone, especially parents of elementary and middle school students. Being born in Martinsburg and moving to Colorado made me realize how little most people know about the Civil War. This is a site that could spark interest and excitement in the hearts of young people if portrayed right. For instance the Hack Wilson display is history but in no way belongs in the Boyd House. This is a prime example of the "Well it's OK" attitude of the Eastern Panhandle citizens instead of making things great. I'm moving back to the Panhandle soon with my new child in tow, and will make sure I tell them the the truth about Boyd and other civil war heroes. Not just a nice house with random displays but a true revolutionary.

1  Thank Bryan G
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I visited the Belle Boyd house on a Saturday afternoon - a historic site that I had wanted to visit for years - to learn about the female "Confederate Spy." As a Civil War buff, I was very excited to finally get to visit the home of Belle Boyd. Unfortunately, the visit was a great disappointment. We entered the home and saw no one, but after a few minutes a voice from upstairs yelled down to us to have a seat and wait. After about 30 mins a staff person appeared and told us she had an appt and could not give us a tour so we left. While outside taking photographs another women came along and said she could give us a tour since the other women had to leave. While there were a few exhibits on Belle Boyd, most of the house was filled with unprofessional exhibits that had no historical relevancy to Belle Boyd or the Civil War or the 1800's time period. It's a great piece of property and history but it needs to be taken over by professional historians and trained staff. I believe this site could attract lots of visitors if it was done professionally.

5  Thank HauntedTraveler100
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I loved the fact that you can get an intimate tour of the Civil War house for only $5. The furniture and the pictures were beautiful. I also thought the old guns were great. They also have an exhibit on Hack Wilson, who played baseball back in the 20's. The best part of the tour was the very friendly tour guide.

1  Thank jeff1970
Reviewed February 8, 2012

This area was carved up by senior officers of the 1812 War. This bed &breakfast is authentic with ease of access to it & other aspects of the Eastern Panhandle.

1  Thank moosaki