Heritage Inn
$64
$65
$124
$92
Quality Inn & Suites(Kearneysville)
$77
QualityInn
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I will have to recommend that you avoid this motel unless you need to save money or other places are full. It is very old and not well kept and arriving after dark will not inspire confidence. The Relax Inn next door looked even worse; its parking lot was full of contractor trucks and men drinking beer, which is why I paid more for the Heritage. Check in was smooth, but they do not accept credit cards for payments under $40, which is likely if you have a coupon. Also, this is the only motel I have stayed in that insisted on photocopying my driver’s license. The room was very small, but this is the type of place where you check in late and leave early. First, I saw no smoke detector in the room. Second, the door did not lock when I closed it. If you are inside, you can throw the deadbolt, but if you leave, you must slam it hard enough to shake the building. I did not know this and thus left the door unlocked while I shopped. Third, the last straw was that water pressure in the shower was so low that it came out as trickle. On the other hand, the room was clean, the bed comfortable, and the AC/heat had a very smooth sound. I was not bothered by noise during my mid-week, 12-hour stay. It was nice to save a few bucks, but I think most people would be uncomfortable staying here.

scopoper47’s top tip: On this stretch of I-81, there are a lot of motels. Those in northern VA and MD are cheaper than those in WV and southern PA with the same range of quality.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo