“What are you expecting?”
Review of Heritage Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Heritage Inn
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Martinsburg
Reviewed July 31, 2014

It was very late, all the other hotels along I-81 were full, so I ended up here. It looks horrible from the street, but somehow better than the dump next door. Location is its best asset as it is close to I-81 and the Martinsburg Mall and shopping area. Stop at the 24-hour grocery store before you check in since the hotel doesn't offer any soap, shampoo, etc.

The place is an old run down budget motel. It looks like some of the rooms are being used as long-term residences. Parking lot had more shopping carts than cars.

When I got there the lobby was closed, so I had to press a buzzer at a bullet-proof window and wait for an older lady in her nightclothes to check me in. Room was around $50, I paid cash and filled out an old-style reservation card. This seems like pretty much a no-questions asked kind of place.

The room was simple but surprisingly clean. The bed was comfortable and the AC worked (although it was oddly mounted near the bathroom). No amenities in the room. The TV worked but the remote didn't. I was too tired to watch anyway. No phone or alarm clock in room (who cares?). A few hours later I was up and back on the road.

I was expecting the worst and got better than that. All things considered, for $50 the place did the job for what I needed.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank swdc

Reviewed November 24, 2012

DISGUSTING, GROSS,will never stay there again.. WOULD rather stay in the car.. the most bush league' place I have ever stayed at period.. IT was a terrible experience and only had an hour of sleep if that. . I wanted to leave the minute i opened the door . But Significant My other was tired than i was . This place made me want to VOMIT all over the room .

Room Tip: the whole place is pathetically gross
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Haley O
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I had traveled 12 hours straight and all the nice world wide hotels were booked and I had no where to go till I saw this Heritage Inn place in Martinsburg,WV. I checked in at 10:17 pm by a grumpy rude man and went to the assigned room and was grossed out. There were earwig bugs, flys, the box spring had a gapping hole in the sides, sheets had cigarette burns and the air conditioner looked like a fire hazzard. The towels and was h rags, were literally rags, shredded. I was so tired from driving and had to get sleep. I did manage 4 hours of sleep mainly becuse I wanted to get the hell of of this slum room. I can not believe a room is 'rented' out to anybody. I do not recommend anybody to stay there, It is thoroughly disgusting and dirty and gross.. They got the so-called furniture from a dump site!

Room Tip: Do stay there, its is pathetically disgusting, dirty, and gross.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank c h
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Parking lot is a bit dark. Indian run but what hotel isn't these days. Nice and friendly. Old but clean. We just needed some sleep so we could finish our trip up to Connecticut. Didn't want to drop $70-$109 on 6the hours of sleep.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank gettingitfirst
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We checked in and within 5 minutes there shady guests going from room to room partying. There was also a very loud buzzer that sounded every time the office door opened. We didn't feel safe and asked for our money back. The manager said NO even though we had only been there for 5 minutes - we left anyway! Absolutely the worst motel experience in our 12 day Eastern US road trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura V
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Good enough for the price. It's a cheap place to stay. Located near a mall and several restaurants. If your low on budget I recommend you stay here.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I will have to recommend that you avoid this motel unless you need to save money or other places are full. It is very old and not well kept and arriving after dark will not inspire confidence. The Relax Inn next door looked even worse; its parking lot was full of contractor trucks and men drinking beer, which is why I paid more for the Heritage. Check in was smooth, but they do not accept credit cards for payments under $40, which is likely if you have a coupon. Also, this is the only motel I have stayed in that insisted on photocopying my driver’s license. The room was very small, but this is the type of place where you check in late and leave early. First, I saw no smoke detector in the room. Second, the door did not lock when I closed it. If you are inside, you can throw the deadbolt, but if you leave, you must slam it hard enough to shake the building. I did not know this and thus left the door unlocked while I shopped. Third, the last straw was that water pressure in the shower was so low that it came out as trickle. On the other hand, the room was clean, the bed comfortable, and the AC/heat had a very smooth sound. I was not bothered by noise during my mid-week, 12-hour stay. It was nice to save a few bucks, but I think most people would be uncomfortable staying here.

scopoper47’s top tip: On this stretch of I-81, there are a lot of motels. Those in northern VA and MD are cheaper than those in WV and southern PA with the same range of quality.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo