“I want to like this place but I can't”
Review of La Trattoria

La Trattoria
Ranked #1 of 173 Restaurants in Martinsburg
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2017

I have been here 3-4 times. Every time I went in with high hopes but ended up unsatisfied with the taste of what I got. I made sure to try something different every time but still same results. That being said, its not a bad place but their style of cooking doesn't appeal to me.

Before I get into what I don't like about this place I want to touch on the positive. The main positive about this place is the service. Always had great service here. Its family owned and operated and it feels that way.

Now for the food. The food isn't fundamentally bad. Its just not cooked in a traditional Italian style that I expect. Everything they do tastes different than what you would expect at a typical Italian restaurant. This may appeal to some people but not to me. I can't really explain what it is that they do different but its just not your traditional take on Italian food.

The owners of this restaurant are Latino. I suspect they are cooking Italian as they know it from their own country of origin but not as American's typically expect. My wife is Latino as well so I know from her that the same ethnic foods can be prepared very differently in each country and I think that's whats happening here because of the owner's background.

I would say go here if you're open to trying Italian food with a slightly different taste. If your looking for an Olive Garden type of Italian you won't find it here.

1  Thank pricemc1

Reviewed November 3, 2017 via mobile

We found this hidden gem of an Italian restaurant in Martinsburg last night. Not fancy by any means but a really nice family run place. The owners do the cooking & their son was our waiter. Delicious homemade pasta sauces, amazing fresh baked rolls and warm friendly service. Hard to beat that combination along with reasonable prices. We'll be back!

Reviewed October 21, 2017

We had a great meal and the service was excellent. Carlos, the owner, was warm and inviting and insured that everything was to our satisfaction. Steve, our service was also very attentive. So far, all of the reviews we had read were very positive and we can't agree more. Really excellent Italian food. My wife eats gluten free and they had gluten free pasta for her. If you want a good stop off of I-81, we suggest this restaurant for an excellent evening meal.

1  Thank F Rusty E
Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

My fiancé and I went here for dinner our first night in town because it was highly rated on trip advisor. It's not a fancy restaurant, but it is good and we weren't disappointed. The food was good, but not great, and they were very accommodating to his gluten sensitivity.

Reviewed October 4, 2017 via mobile

We are traveling from MA back to FL. Last night we stayed at the Comfort Inn in Martinsburg, WV. La Trattoria is across the street. It was our first time visiting La Trattoria-it will not be our last. Our salads were so fresh and the ranch dressing was creamy. The rolls were freshly baked and warm from the oven--they were absolutely the best. We had pizza, which was full of an amazing sauce, cheese, bacon, and diced tomatoes. Everything was so delicious.
The owners son told us "Mom" was thinking of heading south...if so...please move to Sarasota County in Florida. We may have a lot of Italian restaurants, but none as good as La Trattoria. Thank you for an amazing meal.