“Thin walls”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Martinsburg
Belleville
“Thin walls”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Room was clean however walls very thin..Room upstairs from our room had a shower and we could barely hear each other. I believe that they use some type of perfume in the carpet cleaner because there was a strong odour of a perfume every where you walked. Breakfast was a little stale. If you want quiet this isnt the place to be.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dhumesh, General Manager at Days Inn Martinsburg, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
We appreciate your response. We will address your issue about breakfast. I have to check with breakfast host , why food quality was not satisfactory ?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed one night at this hotel while we were in Martinsburg for a wedding. At $60 a night, the old adage rings true: "You Get What You Pay For."

The man at the front desk was very friendly, and check in was very efficient. We arrived about two hours prior to the 3PM check-in time, and were allowed to access our room. We had a corner room on the second floor, which appeared to be a bit bigger than the others, which was nice. There were plenty of hangers, which was great since we had wedding attire with us. The carpet seemed relatively clean, as did the linens. The bed was pretty comfortable, it definitely could have used another pillow or two. The bathroom was just okay - the towels were thin and cheap, the shower curtain did a poor job of keeping water IN the shower, which meant a really wet floor. The lighting in the room overall was poor - two lamps on either side of the bed, as well as a floor lamp and the room was still dark. The view left much to be desired as well - our room overlooked I-81. The A/C unit did not seem to work very well - it would blast cold air for a few minutes and then turn off. This turned out to not be an issue, as the weather was low 70's all weekend, however for the warmer months, it would be a problem.

One thing to note - be sure to request a non-smoking room. Ours did not smell like smoke, but the hallway, as well as the lobby, reeked of cigarette smoke. I can only imagine what the smoking rooms were like.

As far as attractions, there did not seem to be much to do in the Martinsburg area. A pretty sleepy town. This hotel is located right next to a mall, and there were a few restaurants within walking distance, but nothing great (Shoney's, Sheetz, Buffalo Wild Wings etc).

Overall, the hotel was great for a one night stay. The room was clean, the staff was friendly, and we had no major complaints. I would not recommend staying in this hotel for more than a night or two, but for a business traveler or those in town for a long weekend, this hotel was fine.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room - they are a bit bigger! Also, be sure to request a non-smoking room if you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sevierville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed October 20, 2012

As an avid traveler I am always looking for new, entertaining areas to visit. When researching this weekend trip, I was looking for a place to stay that was easily accessible to I-81. Well, that is all you will have when staying here.

I arrived about 30 minutes before the check-in time of 3 p.m. I stated that I was a bit early, and if I needed to return, I would be happy to do so.

Scott, who was working the front desk said it was not a problem. At first he said, "one smoking room." I said, nope, I booked a non-smoking room.

I clearly should have researched a bit more. I would never entertain staying somewhere that was smoking. That is absolutely the most uncouth and repugnant policy for a hotel. I fully understand that people have a right to smoke, I am not saying anything regarding taking the right to smoke away from anyone. I just prefer not to sleep somewhere that smoking is permitted. Even the non-smoking rooms will smell like smoke.

So...after Scott corrected this issues, he went on to tell me about how you never know what you will get with people. He offered a story about a guest that checked in the previous night that was in a non-smoking room and I truly believe he said he was smoking weed. He said he offered him a smoking room, but the guest wanted to stay in a non-smoking room. -- I'm sorry, what??? I gather that the main problem Scott had was that he was smoking weed in a non-smoking room rather than a smoking room. Where in the world is this Days Inn? yikes...

After heading to my room i exited the elevator, which contained the cleaning lady that was playing Bollywood music on her iPhone - I noticed that the door to my room was open, being held open by the suitcase stand.

I happen to see another cleaning lady in the hall and asked if it was ok to shut the door - Scott had told me the room was ready.

She came to look at the room and said something along the lines of - It's not ready yet, don't know why he sent you up here. We have an inspection coming up, so everything needs to be cleaned.

I was thinking - Does her statement mean that cleaning doesn't typically happen unless there is an inspection scheduled?

Needless to say, I said I am going to leave, I have some work and I will just give you more time. Sorry for Interrupting.

I went back to the lobby and told Scott that the room wasn't ready, and then another cleaning lady said - yeah, shes not down that far yet...

I stated that I would leave and return. I had work to do, so I was going to go find a coffee shop or something in the meantime.

After I left I called CheapTickets.com and requested a refund. Telling the very helful agent what had occurred.

He spoke with Scott and they would not refund my money. CheapTickets was very apologetic and gave me a voucher and the refund to the balance of the room that Scott was not able to refund. I suppose that they needed the extra money to finish preparing for their inspection or perhaps something else, not quite sure...

Needless to say...Don't waste your time or money on this place. I hate using the term, but it is a DUMP! Customer service is definitely far under par.

I will not be returning to this hotel anytime soon. I don't think Days Inn will make it on the list ever again for a hotel choice. If this is how they allow their properties to be run, I want absolutely nothing to do with their operation.

Cheers!

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here - Choose a different Hotel in the area...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Martinsburg hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinsburg
Motel 6 Martinsburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Martinsburg
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville

Been to Days Inn Martinsburg? Share your experiences!