“nice staff... BUT...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Martinsburg
Manassas, Virginia, United States
“nice staff... BUT...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked this room last minute.. There wasn't anything available in places that I'd normally try, and I got a great rate. My children and I arrived late, and were almost placed into a smoking room, but it got corrected! Walking down to our room, it smelled very damp and old in the hallways. When we walked into the room, I was pleasantly surprised that the smell was not there, and the room looked adequate. As a habit, I too, pull sheets back and check the beds. I did not find anything thank goodness! But I can say that the sheets had numerous holes in them, like burn holes, and the pillows were stained. When I walked to check the second bed, I stepped on a WORM! It was laying in the floor right beside the bed. Ewwww. Other than that, no nasty surprises. The bathroom shower does not function properly, as even with the shower option turned all the way on, water pours out of the faucet and onto the floor! Breakfast was old looking and stale.. Overall not an awful stay, but unsure if I would risk it again..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Moundsville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stay every month at this hotel. The staff has always gone above and beyond to make me comfortable. The price is reasonable and anything I need is close by. I have never seen any bug of any kind in my room, my wife would kill me if I ever brought a bug home!! I have always enjoyed my stay at Rodeway Inn in Martinsburg, WV

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My family and I stayed here for a family reunion in the area. We had 7 rooms. From the time we checked in til we checked out our stay was great. The staff was excellent. They made our stay a pleasure. As a habit we always check our rooms, especially the beds and the bathroom. The sheets and the bedding were very clean and the bathrooms were very clean also. We were very happy with the way our rooms looked. The downstairs rooms have a door that you can park outside of and a door into the hallway which makes it very convenient if you have a pet or a lot of luggage to carry. An added attraction was the pool and the Jacuzzi. The kids really enjoyed the pool and the Jacuzzi was very relaxing. You can also relax in the evening in their bar and grill. Another plus is that there are plenty of places to eat close to the hotel, most within walking distance. Grocery stores, Walgreens, and CVS are also close by. The price was reasonable and the best in the area. I don't know what some of these people are talking about but we had a great time. We will definitely stay here when we are in the area again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Plus people with guns hanging out in the lobby, if that is your thing.

Our room smelled bad when we got there, and their was a dead cockroach on the floor of the bathroom and cobwebs in the ceiling and under the bed. The sheets all had cigarette burns and odd stains. Woke up covered in bedbug bites. Plus, when we checked out we told the lady at the desk about the bedbugs, and her response was "OK, I'll let them know," without any sympathy or feigned surprise, like this kind of thing happens here all the time. Awful night, awful following few days of sanitizing every piece of clothing that made it into this hotel. If you're considering staying here, you'd be much better off just sleeping in your car.

Room Tip: Keep driving.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Martinsburg hotels

Parkersburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This motel fails on every level possible in my book! My family and I stopped here because we were meeting a friend in town on our way to Washington, D.C. We had no reservations, so when we got here on our second try to find a vacancy we believed them when they said all the rooms in the area were full. We took a smoking room because it was one of only two, two Double Bed rooms left. We got to the room and the first thing I noticed was a blood spot on my sheet! I went to the desk and asked for another set of sheets. They don't have access to the sheets so they pulled the sheets from the other room. I went back and I made my own bed. I then went into the bathroom. BIG MISTAKE! The towels were stained and the bath mat had a huge hole in it! After looking around, the room was just plain dirty, the room key hardly, worked, there were cigarette burns in the sheet and bedspread, the wifi didn't work and the pool area smelled so bad it made me gag! The hot tub in the pool area had green water! A VERY GROSS experience from start to finish! If there was somewhere else we could have gone, we would have!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I've been staying here 3-4 nights a week since August 2012. Debbie and the staff here can't do enough to make me comfortable. Fresh coffee every afternoon at the end of a long work day its the spot. Great rates for a clean comfortble room. I'd reccomend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SafetyGuy33
Fredericksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

When I was quoted the price for the room at this motel, I knew that I was not staying anywhere fancy. That was okay. I was traveling with my sons basketball team and we where only going to be there for one night. Cheap to me meant, I would not have some of the standards I would get for higher priced accommodations at more reputable establishments. Cheap should never mean "just plain dirty." I checked in an out in less than 30 minutes. Everything was old and stained and smelled musty. I pulled the covers back on the bed and the linens were dirty. The bed comforters had cigarette holes and even blood stains. This was just nasty. Thank god we never brought our bags into the room, I'm sure there were critters there that would have tried to catch a ride with us to get out of the filth! The one good thing about the place - the lady that checked me in. She was very friendly and very understanding when I wanted to checkout!
I'm not sure who owns or is running this place but cleaniness is not on their radar!

Room Tip: Never settle for dirty.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinsburg
Motel 6 Martinsburg
Days Inn Martinsburg
#6 of 14 in Martinsburg
3.0 of 5 stars 268 reviews
Quality Inn Spring Mills - Martinsburg North

Been to Carefree Inn? Share your experiences!