“Exceeded Our Expectations”

Guesthouse Lost River
Ranked #1 of 3 Lost River B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2012

What a terrific resort - Gary and the rest of the staff are wonderful, warm and helpf'ul. The room was great, breakfasts were terrific and we loved the pool. The views are spectacular. This resort is well worth the drive - who knew something this great was so close? We'll certainly be return patrons - we can't wait to make a return trip. Shout out to Randi for going above and beyond to come to our aid when we had car trouble. A++++++++

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cynthia K

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This past weekend, July 20, was my first time at Guesthouse Lost River. A bunch of my friends have spoken highly about the location and I was excited to be joining friends for a relaxing weekend. Arriving at the Guesthouse my friends and I were greeted by Gary, one of the owners, who proceeded to show us around the property. Everything was gorgeous and exactly as i expected. Staying in the main lodge was a great choice as we were footsteps from the pool, the various lounges, and the restaurant/bar. The staff was super courteous and made sure my friends and I were completely taken care of. The room I booked was fresh and clean and had a great view of the property and the mountains. It was great to wake up in the morning and take in the great view. Overall, it was a spectacular time and am looking forward to coming back again!

Room Tip: If staying in the main lodge, go for a room/cabin on the second floor to get a great view of the lan...
1  Thank MarkS28970
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I came out to the Guesthouse as part of a group that had the entire property to ourselves for the weekend. I really had no idea what to expect beyond having looked at the website and longingly stared at the photos for much of the week prior to arriving.

The drive to the Guesthouse was much more interesting than many drives I've taken. The scenery changed gradually from suburban sprawl to farm land to mountain scenery. It was quite nice.

Gary greeted us at the front door when we arrived and immediately gave us a tour of the guest areas. I was struck immediately by just how nicely appointed every room and surface seemed to be. It was also larger than I had expected; there seemed to be more rooms to lounge, relax, read, and converse in than I could process at first.

We put our stuff away in our room (we were in Guesthouse 1) and found two of our friends who had arrived before us. We were the first to arrive, so we sat on the first floor porch of the Guesthouse Lodge and caught up with each other as we waited for more folks to show up. I was in awe of the view. It was a cloudy and overcast day, but that did little to diminish the majesty of the mountain valley that lay before us. The Guesthouse Lodge overlooks the pool and patio areas, and beyond that the mountain forests that command a sense of serenity and peace that cannot be adequately described in words.

More of our friends began arriving and the porch conversations grew. At about 6 or so, a few of us grew hungry and decided to head to the restaurant. The menu is not expansive, but I've found that this can be a good thing. If a restaurant tries to do too much it often ends up making a lot of mediocre dishes instead of a few really good ones. As my appetizer I had a bowl of French onion soup, served with toasted baguette and Swiss cheese. I loved it. For my entree, I ordered one of their specials, which was an espresso and chili encrusted ribeye. It was served with mashed potatoes and sauteed vegetables. I asked for the steak medium rare but it came out closer to medium. That aside, it was quite nice. I'd never had coffee used as a meat rub before and I found that it worked quite nicely with the flavor of the beef and the glass of cabernet I was drinking. The vegetables were a mix of red bell pepper and squash if I recall correctly, and they were cooked wonderfully: enough to be done yet not mushy. The mashed potatoes were fantastic. They were seasoned just right, buttery and flavorful without being greasy or too salty. They also offered a very nice texture contrast of creamy and smooth alongside some chunks to give your teeth something to bite into. I should have ordered some of those potatoes to-go for a snack later that evening.

I had an after dinner coffee and then our group decided it was pool time! The pool was rather immaculate. We had a nice evening of alternating between the pool and the 12-person hot tub, chatting with friends we hadn't seen in a while, enjoying an adult beverage or two, and generally just basking in the ambiance of the mountains within this lovely haven.

Eventually it was time to retreat to our room and get some shuteye. Gary told us when we checked in that we had one of the more popular rooms in the Guesthouse Lodge, and I could see why. The view just outside our door was phenomenal. The room itself was very nicely furnished. Don't expect a big screen LCD television or a surround sound system; you won't get it. And that's exactly what I wanted. A lot of the joy of this weekend was disconnecting and unplugging from technology. The king size bed was very comfy, with firm yet fluffy pillows and a nice comforter. There was a ceiling fan to create a nice breeze. The bathroom was larger than I would have expected. There was wi-fi available so I could listen to NPR as I fell asleep, but that was the limit of my technology for the weekend.

The next morning I woke up at about 8 AM and sat on the porch overlooking the valley as I read the morning news. Just a couple of minutes past 9 AM, someone down on the bottom level rang a bell that seemed to echo through the surrounding mountains. This was the call to breakfast. A few of us wandered downstairs to the breakfast room. It was a lovely setup. Breakfast was served family style, and each place setting was already set with a cup of orange juice and a bowl of fruit. This morning's fare featured bacon, eggs and hash browns, but the star of this performance was the gorgeous home made biscuits. I wanted to go find the pleasant little grandmother they hid in the back who made these and smuggle her home. They also served this immodestly delicious apple butter. Things that feel as good as the combination of those biscuits and that apple butter are usually illegal. The coffee was deep and satisfying. I'd never had a "bed & breakfast" breakfast and now I'm hopelessly spoiled. The next morning when I woke up and sat on the porch, they were serving homemade pancakes and the smell of those beauties being cooked up seemed to saturate the valley. Absolute bliss.

Most of day 2 was taken up with a friend's birthday, which took place in the billiards room and later spilled into the pool. Dinner that night was a pan sauteed chicken breast in a lemon herb reduction which was quite tasty, accompanied by another bowl of that luscious French onion soup. The evening's festivities found our group having merry conversation in the living room and also card games on the adjacent convertible poker table.

That evening while most of the crowd was still at dinner, I found myself wandering the public areas of the guesthouse and just basking in how wonderful it all was. It was appointed and decorated with a skill that I could only ever achieve through witchcraft. It was all amazingly clean and well kept. Since the majority of our group was still downstairs it felt like I had the entire place to myself, and I was okay with this.

Watching night fall over the valley was another simple joy. It was still cloudy so I couldn't see the stars come out, but I could hear as the crickets and other night creatures came to, and the mountains filled with another world of life.

Leaving on Sunday was very difficult, but I am going to be back.

I can't recommend this place enough. I can't think of a better spot to get away for a long weekend, utterly and completely unwind, and soak in the atmosphere of an establishment that very clearly takes pride in its mission. Gary and Mike, you've won me over :-)

Room Tip: Guesthouse 1 and 2 are tops, but I imagine they are snatched up quickly.
1  Thank Patrick D
Reviewed July 24, 2012

It was so nice to get out of NYC. The 6 hour drive flew by. I was able to bring my bulldog Scarpetta which is a big deal as he loves the country. So we both really got to enjoy a relaxing and fun weekend.
The restaurant was great. The girls there are super friendly and the food was delicious.
The pool was a pleasure. Hot tub. Pool. Hot tub. Pool. What else could I ask for.
Our room was pretty large and needless to clean . So wine with friends by the fireplace after dinner was the icing on the cake.
Thank you guys for such a great weekend and Scarpetta and I look forward to coming back soon!
Jonathan and Scarpetta
NYC

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank BearJewNYC
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was our second trip to the Guest House at Lost River. But the first time under the new owners. It was a great weekend. Its the perfect place to get away from the city and unwind. We eat dinner both nights at the on site restaurant and its was great. The hospitality of the staff and owners was awesome. We stay at the "Guest House Suite" and found it completely to our liking. I think its the best room at the site. Loved the newly renovated space, the king bed was very comfortable, the fireplace and private deck were awesome as well. Only minor complaint was we wish the outdoor whirlpool adjacent to the pool was working properly. The whole weekend it was bubbling cold water not hot. But its a minor annoyance and we just used the inside whirlpool. We look forward to our next visit, going to stay in the same room again. Gerat trip.

Room Tip: Get the "Guest House Suite". The best room for a couple, private deck, private entrance, n...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rbertj
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I had heard raves from friends about this place, but the mood, ambiance, and overall experience of the Guesthouse Lost River thoroughly exceeded my expectations. Photos truly don't do it justice.

We turned onto the secluded West Virginia country roads shortly after sunset and during the torrential downpour of a summer thunderstorm. As we made our way up into the hills where the inn is located, we were passing through banks of thick fog. After we turned the last corner, there was a break in the fog, and the glowing warmth of the inn emerged from the darkness and mist: a stunning first impression.

The owner had noticed our approach down the long bumpy driveway and greeted us at the door. He gave us a brief tour of the lodge building and pool area, and led us to our cabin (the Tower suite). We were traveling with our dog, and she was welcomed like she was their own pet.

We booked as part of a group that reserved the entire inn for the weekend. After settling in to our room, we explored the lodge while waiting for friends to finish dinner in the restaurant. The staircase from the reception area/lobby leads to the majority of the lodge public spaces: a "billiard room" (pool table, Scrabble table), a lounge/card room with a beautiful expansive stone fireplace, a study/media room, and another large room that I would call a 'ballroom'--probably great for parties. A large patio and another wraparound deck is accessible off the 'ballroom', providing incredible views of the forest and mountains.

We kept remarking how every inch of the inn is tastefully appointed, clean, and welcoming.

After enjoying a generous pour of a single-malt scotch in the cozy bar attached to the dining room, we learned our group had assembled at the pool deck for the evening's activities. Later, we enjoyed a few cigars poolside before walking a few steps back to our suite.

The next morning, we awoke to the sound of a bell calling us to a country breakfast made from scratch. The breakfast hostess was like a long lost Aunt, pushing the home-made biscuits and incredible hand-made apple-butter to a very receptive crowd. The coffee was strong and rich--we remarked how glad we were that it wasn't the usual substandard "hotel coffee", and the owner mentioned they have a blend shipped from New York for the inn. Bravo!

Though the weather wasn't cooperating, we took refuge in the indoor hot tub/sauna, as well as played pool and cards to pass the time. There was little if any cell phone reception, and though there was passable WiFi access, it was hard for my iPhone to compete with the serenity of sitting back, unplugged from the rest of the world, in one of the many outdoor wooden rocking chairs, and taking in the view.

While having my second cup of coffee on the morning of our departure, I stood at the window of the rustic breakfast room, and my mind wandered. I imagined how gorgeous the rolling hills outside the front of the lodge will look with a dusting of snow in the winter: we'll surely be back to see it.

Room Tip: The Tower Suite is a dog-friendly room, but showed no signs of wear and tear from animals like we...
1  Thank Matthew T
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Guesthouse is a delight.  Photos don’t capture the serenity of the setting or the layout of the property that includes guestrooms as well as several cozy common areas with fireplaces, a large deck for stargazing, a screened porch, a bar, and a gym.  At nine feet deep, the recently renovated swimming pool is a wonderful spot to cool down.  We were fortunate enough to stay in the Suite which is actually a small well- appointed apartment.  It is easily the nicest room we’ve had in all our travels.  The decors in the Suite and throughout the property is beautifully rustic and charming.  A bell rings each morning to announce that a delicious breakfast is ready.  During our visit, the offerings included fruit salad as well as pancakes and sausage or biscuits and gravy.  Our hosts, Gary and Jesse, could not have been friendlier or more accommodating.  Their hospitality turned a wonderful vacation into an unforgettable one.  We are counting the days until our next visit!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfield Inn & Suites Strasburg Shenandoah Valley
Ramada Strasburg
Ramada Strasburg
#2 of 5 in Strasburg

Been to Guesthouse Lost River? Share your experiences!