Guesthouse Lost River
EconoLodge
Park Motel(Petersburg)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsguest houseother guestsfamily stylegreat weekendthe main housewonderful hostswest virginiamultiple roomsapple butterfamily weekendcountry breakfastcatch up with friendsbreakfast is servedgreat hikingnooks and crannieson site restauranthot tub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We recently had a business event in Lost River. Gary and Jesse were amazing and smoothly handled the get togethers with great service, The entire team really appreciated the "get away" feel and thought it made the meetings more productive than the typical convention hotel settings. It also provided a great team building opportunity by going on a team hiking adventure. Well done and thanks! Blair M

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank BMastDC
GuesthouseLostRiver, Owner at Guesthouse Lost River, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Thank you Blair for having your corporate event with the Guesthouse! We are looking to expand in this area and provide more events for offsite meetings and retreats like yours. It sounded like everyone was having a wonderful time! As former DC corporate and Federal Government employees we have been to our share of these type of events and couldn't agree more that this venue is ideal! We hope you have your next event with us!

Reviewed May 16, 2012

We took advantage of the Living Social special to stay at Guesthouse Lost River last weekend. There was a mix-up with the reservations and co-owner, Gary, upgraded us to the Guesthouse Suite. I'll be hard pressed not to stay in the suite when we return - it will so be worth the extra price! The suite features a two-sided gas fireplace, a king bed, 1.5 baths and a kitchenette including a refrigerator, microwave and breakfast bar. We had our own private covered porch overlooking the pool and valley below. Hey, there was even a bidet - in West Virginia!!

The setting is beautiful and peaceful. We didn't think we'd get any cell reception, and though it was not stellar, we got enough to receive and send texts. There was wireless, as well.

Our package deal included a $25 voucher towards dinner in the GuestHouse restaurant on both Friday and saturday nights so we took advantage and the food was fabulous. We tried salmon, scallops, a quesadilla, shrimp & pasta in a wonderful suace, and a salted pecan cheesecake that was too yummy for words. Cornbread and one other bread are served before each meal and that cornbread could have been a meal unto itself!

The full breakfast, included in the room price, was one of the best aspects of our stay. Everyone arrives to be seated at 9a (food gets cold otherwise!) and we got to meet all the other guests, which was more fun than I'd anticipated.

The only negative was having no way to lock up when we left our room (no room keys are issued). I wasn't comfortable leaving expensive electronics in the room and it was a) a pain to lug everything out to the car and back whenever we left the room, and b) it was hot during the day which isn't great for the health of any electronic device.

Otherwise it was fantastic and we look forward to going back to stay when we're in need of another weekend getaway.

Room Tip: the Guesthouse Suite...SO worth the extra price if you can do it!
1  Thank shari w

Thanks so much Shari! Our mix up was your gain! :) I personally couldn't agree more about the Guesthouse Suite! I recently had my parents stay there when they visited from NY and I was able to spend some time up there. I forgot how off the beaten path you feel and we spent hours on the deck enjoying the view and rocking in the chairs. It's like your own private retreat! We look forward to having you back again! As for the keys, I certainly understand your uncomfort. We were the same way after moving here from the city. We now leave our keys in the truck overnight and have never had an issue (*knock on wood) in the 30+ years of the Guesthouse being in business. We will take this under consideration or perhaps look into a safe for valuables. Next time you visit-- we have areas in the Lodge that we would gladly lock up any items for you. See you soon!

Reviewed May 15, 2012

If you're looking for privacy and some awesome natural experiences this is just where you want to be. Our room was beautiful and rustic with a huge porch that ran from building end to building end. We spent time hiking during the day and actually saw a pregnant doe lay herself down on the ground to take a nap nearly 35 ft. from us.She even knew we were there. The Guesthouse at Lost River is fabulous for photographers. Dinner was delicious! And breakfast was cool because you got to meet other people staying there. One of the nicest things about our stay was the immense hospitality we received from Gary and Michael. They really made us feel very special. I have no idea how they manage to do this with every single patron but they do. Thanks again for the wonderful experience! -Kerry&Matt

Room Tip: Loved the Builtmore II.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Kerry & Matt - you were both wonderful guests! It is easy to do because of one thing--- we enjoy it! We left the hustle and bustle of DC because of the Guesthouse (as former guests) we know how important a get away is! With our hospitality backgrounds the service is just second nature. We really enjoy getting to meet and spend time with our guests. And for those who appreciate being alone and privacy- we greatly respect that. We hope to have you both back soon!

Reviewed May 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I chose to spend our 5-year anniversary at The Guesthouse after buying a deal on LivingSocial so, the price was right. We were warmly greeted with a bottle of wine and a cheese platter and given a tour of the place.

I loved the many public spaces to curl up with a book or just relax and talk. There are lots of outdoor porches and patios with great views as well. I only wish the guest rooms were as nice as the main lodge. Our room had a little bit of a funky smell and was just generally not a space that makes you feel good to be in - odd artwork, dark painted wood paneling, etc... Unfortunately, on a trip like ours - we kind of did want to spend a lot of time in our room, but found it easy to find other spaces to enjoy each other's company.

We had two rocking chairs and a little table right outside our door which was lovely in the evenings. There's a shared kitchenette where you can keep beverages, so we were glad we brought some beer and wine coolers to enjoy on our porch (although you can't drink them by the pool or the main lodge as they have a bar and are licensed to sell their own alcohol in those spaces).

Our deal included a $25 dining credit at the restaurant each night so we took advantage of that (not that there are many other options nearby) and the food was delicious. The warm cornbread they bring out is to die for and was so good I wanted to order more for dessert. I highly recommend the mushroom ravioli. The service, however, was a joke. Out waiter the first night knew absolutely nothing about any of the menu items or the beers (all bottles by the way, none on draft). Our waitress the second night was grumpy and unfriendly. I don't think she smiled once and our food took twice as long as everyone else in the dining room with no explanation.

As other reviewers have noted, the real culinary highlight is the communal breakfasts. My boyfriend and I both agreed that the bacon on Saturday morning was the best bacon we ever had and the homemade apple butter was a total treat. We were disappointed when there was no bacon Sunday morning, but the pancakes and sausage were yummy, too! Breakfast is brought out right at 9am, so I would recommend getting there as close to that time as possible.

A note about sleep quality - the weekend we went there, they were doing repairs on the pool. We were notified in advance via e-mail and were assured that the construction would not start until after 9:00am. However, noise so loud OSHA would have probably required earplugs started before 8:00am and made sleeping past that point impossible. Not sure why the owners would agree to that kind of construction on a Saturday morning when their lodge was full to capacity rather than a weekday, but I was mostly just disappointed that it began earlier than we had been told.

The location was our favorite part - it's a short drive from DC and it felt wonderful to be in the middle of nowhere with fresh air, starry night skies, and best of all - no traffic.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your feedback! For the rooms where you stayed we do receive positive feedback but I can understand your feedback about it feeling dark. It's a very rustic green paint and some of the rooms remind me of cabins in the Adirondacks. It was hard for me to adjust to a smaller, cozy room as I spent a lot of time on business travel at hotels like the W which are incredible with the size of the space, white walls, modern decor and lighting. Next time you visit--- please message us in advance at info@guesthouselostriver.com and make note of this and I will be sure to put you in another room which I think you'll appreciate. :)

I apologize that your service wasn't up to par! We sit down with our servers and staff to review feedback. While we receive a lot of kudos, we also recognize we have some work to do. Service is an evolving business.

And finally, as I want to address all of your points. We agree about the pool and we apologize. We scolded the foreman for the early start time. Being a remote area we also have our challenges including scheduling repairs. 95% are completed without guests around. However, the pool company came down from Pennsylvania and the weekend was there only time available. We were thankful the noise lasted only a couple of hours. The pool has been open for several weeks now and is gorgeous! E-mail me (Michael) at info@guesthouselostriver.com before your next visit. We will be happy to make it up to you.

Cheers!

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Husband and I had our first getaway in a long time and luckily chose the Guesthouse. Gary and Michael are SO sweet and clearly LOVE their place and what they're doing. Dinner's a little pricy but that's normal for these sort of places (entrees start at 18) and it was decent. The real delight are the group breakfasts (complimentary!) on Sat and Sun mornings... Very Common-Room Inn feeling, getting to rub elbows with fellow guests, get tips and feedback about their previous day excursions... if you like hiking or similar outdoors stuff this is the home camp for you. The mountains here are gorgeous and the hiking is varied.. a little something for beginners and more ambitious climbs for the seasoned... The weight room is awesome though we noticed a couple machines out of order there was still plenty to do. Beds are soft, clean (yes i check for bedbugs everywhere.. not a trace in our room!) and the maid service was solid. I will definitely consider going back again, no question. It was a real treat, the whole experience.

Room Tip: Consider whether you want an awesome sunrise, or an awesome sunset. our room (#2 had a great shot of the mountains and the sunset, as well as the patio and pool.
1  Thank Erin P

Thank you for your feedback Erin! :) We strive to provide high quality service and cleanliness is huge for us! I guess that's what you get when you have one owner and head of housekeeping who make sure the guest rooms, cabins and main Lodge of the Guesthouse are always kept tidy! I wouldn't say we have OCD but others have self diagnosed us with it. At least it benefits the guests. ;-) We look forward to your next visit!