“Jeckyll and Hyde experience”

Guesthouse Lost River Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Lost River
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Culpeper, VA
“Jeckyll and Hyde experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Friday Night: 5 out of 5

My wife and I spent the weekend about a mile from The Guest House at the Inn at Lost River, and the food was highly recommended by the owners of our B&B, so we decided to go for dinner. It was fantastic. I had the Salmon, and she had the Shrimp Scampi. The olive dip for an appetizer was pretty fantastic as well. The staff was nice, the owners were accommodating, and the overall experience was exceptional.

Saturday Night: 1 out of 5

Saturday night, however, was not as pleasant as Friday night was, not by a long shot unfortunately. My wife and I enjoyed the experience and the food so much that we wanted to dine there again, so we returned and even requested to sit at the same table on the deck because the ambience was so nice out there. We got the Drunken Sailors appetizer, which was also a very tasty appetizer. What we were really looking forward to was the Filets that we ordered, both medium rare. They arrived, and the waitress asked us to cut into it, and both were overcooked, to a medium well, and not to our request. We kindly told the waitress that these were obviously overcooked, and sent them back. These are $30 steaks, so asking them to be to the requested temperature should not be out of the question. We went walking around the premises and admiring the beautiful rooms and scenery when we were approached by one of the owners, who said during a brief conversation, “Well, they looked pretty rare to me." This was the first sign that the evening was not going to be as pleasant as the night before. We returned to our table, and our steaks came out again. Overcooked, dry, and very plain. At this point we felt embarrassed to call the waitress over, and tell her. She asked us if we wanted A1 to put on it! I know the poor girl was only trying to help. We asked for the check because it had been a long day, and we just wanted to get back to our room and to bed. The check came out, and the amount was over $70! They actually attempted to have us pay for the steaks that we sent back. I went inside to talk with the owner, and was met with an instant attitude. He said, "At this point, we have wasted $50 worth of steak on you guys." He also said, "Right now, you are costing us more to be here." WHAT?? As if all this was our fault, as paying customers. I told him that we weren't paying for these steaks, and that I wanted to pay or our drinks and appetizer, and leave. He very impolitely took the check and said, “Ok, then you’re not paying for anything.” So now that he took the check, we weren’t even able to leave the waitress a tip for trying to take care of us. I was fuming at this point. Is this good customer service? I felt bad about sending back the steaks, I know they're not free, but I wasn't about to eat or pay for something that wasn't satisfactory. For that I will not apologize. I will apologize for making a scene on the way out, but I will not stand for being embarrassed in front of patrons and employees. Managers have to have thicker skin than this, and for that I will never return to this place...ever.

And this is a shame, because we were thinking of getting a cabin in the fall and inviting some friends with us to enjoy another weekend away. I’m sure this is a lovely place to stay, and not everyone has the time of their lives when they visit, so I wouldn’t say don’t stay there, I would just think twice about returning food to the kitchen.

4 Thank AmyCarleen

Falls Church, Virginia
“Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

The food was ok. The restaurant was very nice. Service was slow.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank JCVO
GuesthouseLostRiver, Owner at Guesthouse Lost River Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time for letting us know of your experience here at the Guesthouse.

We are sorry that we did not meet all of the expectations set by your experience in the inn with our service in the Restaurant.

We have shared your comments with our staff and looking to improve upon our offerings so that your experience does not become a standard for us.

Thank you again, we look forward to having you visit us again soon.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Wonderful Time in the Mountains”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

We enjoyed a fantastic three night stay at the Guest House over Memorial Day weekend. Gary and Mike love what they do and it shows in their attention detail. As the new proprietors they are working hard to leave their mark by upgrading the amenities and service, working their punch list. The onsite restaurant was greatly enjoyed when open. All the other guests were fantastic, conversational and engaging, enjoyed everyone there. We stayed in the Builtmore cottage which is separated by a 3 to 5-minute walk and secluded from the other areas of the Guesthouse. It afforded us some much needed privacy with only two other rooms in the cottage. Much of the time the other occupants including our friends whom we traveled with were elsewhere. No cell service but good Wi-Fi so you don’t completely disengage unless you choose too. We will be returning and are already making plans.

Visited May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience here at the Guesthouse!

We are so pleased that your party enjoyed your time here with us and we look forward to having you visit us again soon.

We appreciate all of your comments and are always looking for ways to improve our services and offerings. Your words are definitely encouraging that we are making the right decisions for our improvements for our guest's experience.

Thanks,

Laurel, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friday & Sat night dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

the food was very well cooked and everything was fresh. We tried salmon and scallops and shrimp. Seafood can be easy to overcook but the chef did a great job and we'd go back again in a heartbeat. The cornbread served before dinner was absolutely scrumptious!

Shari,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your dining experience here at the Guesthouse. We appreciate your comments and look forward to having you return to the Guesthouse.

That cornbread is delicious! It is not good for me to have the left overs sitting around the inn during the week!

Thanks again,

Havre de Grace, Maryland, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mouth watering food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

Every dinner my hubs and I tried was absolutely delicious. Their Filet Mignon was cooked to perfection. The piece of meat must have been over 2 1/2 inches high. My hubs loved the Braised Beef Short Ribs. We were both truely satisfied.

1 Thank Kerry K
Kerry,

Thank you so much for your comments on your experience here at the Guesthouse. We are so thrilled that you both enjoyed your time here and we truly enjoyed having you as our guests.

Both menu items you had are two of our most popular, and you described so well why they are.

We can't wait to have you return to the Guesthouse for a visit soon!

Thanks,