“A Great Stop!”

Lost World Caverns
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Lewisburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: One of the most beautiful commercial caves in the eastern U.S. Self-guided walking tours take approximately 45 minutes to an hour. All day Wild Cave Tours are available, for the more adventurous, by reservation only. Largest Rock, Fossil, & Gift Shop in the area. Natural History Museum features local ice age mammals as well as dinosaur exhibits. Picnic Area. Free Parking. Open Daily.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were in West Virginia for a wedding the weekend of the Septmeber 14th and made the great choice to stop at the Lost World Caverns. The cave is amazing and it was great to be able to take our tme going through and able to take lots of photos. I was worried about my fiance as he sometimes dislikes small spaces but the cave was very open.

The gift shop was also A+.

1  Thank Krei0403

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Throughout my life, I have toured a number of caves that provide you a guided tour through the cave on a cement path to view some of the larger attractions the cave has to offer. Each experience has been similar in that the cave is easily accessible with paved paths, guard rails, and warnings not to touch anything. Until I toured through Lost World Caverns in Lewisburg, WV.

Lost World Caverns provides a true adventure-type tour through the cave. This tour is not for those who have limited mobility, excessively obese, or claustrophobic. We were outfitted with gloves, knee pads (which are essential), and a hard hat with light. After walking through the paved paths of the first part of the cave, we were told to don our hard hats as we climbed the guard rail, and embarked on the adventure part of the 4 hour tour. From this point onward, the only lights we had were on our hats, and we were climbing, crawling and squeezing our way through the various rooms of the cave.

Our tour guide Steven, one of the cave owners, was excessively knowledgeable about the cave. Throughout the tour, he took multiple pictures to document our experience. The pictures are included with the package, and are sent to us on disc.

After our tour, we were provided a place to shower and change as we were covered from head to toe in mud. After cleaning up, we were served chicken sandwiches for lunch, which really hit the spot after spending 4 hours in the cave.

Overall, it was exhilarating to experience a cave beyond the paved paths reserved for the general public. If you ever wanted to go beyond the guard rails in a cave, I would highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Wow! My family and I have been cave exploring in several states and countries and this experience rates as one of the best!! After admiring the lovely grounds, we went inside and got suited up in hardhat, gloves and blessed knee pads for our four+ hours Wild Caves excursion. Our guide, Steve, was informative, sure footed, and really got a feel for how well our group (which ended up just being my husband, son and daughter-in-law) could maneuver through some very tight portions of the cavern and how well we could handle the mental and physicalness of the exploring. Note: This experience is NOT for those who are claustrophobic, really overweight, or not in good physical condition. It IS for those who are adventurous and at least somewhat physically fit.
We went on a portion of the regular cave tour first, then climbed over the railing and off the beaten track - and then the fun really began. We squeezed through tight spaces with fitting names like birth canal, keyhole, drainage ditch and others. When I looked at a space and wasn't sure, I listened to what Steve said about how to get through - how to contort my body - and it worked every time. We climbed up and down (and all around) through mud and water and over rocks. It was exhilarating! What a sense of accomplishment when we were finished. And what a great time we had doing something like this together - the 4 of us keep talking about it!
After the tour, we showered there (we had brought a complete change of clothes - underwear and all) and then had a delicious lunch at the picnic tables. All of this was included in our price, plus Steve took great pictures of us at all the key points so we each received a disc with pictures and we got to back into the cavern to walk through the "regular" part of it. (I wanted to do this and take pictures with my camera.)
Do check out the large gift shop with unique items and check out the "museum" portion with dinosaur skeletons (some that the Smithsonian borrowed - that's how good they are!), and real fossils. This would also be a fantastic educational destination for school kids!!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I went there with my son and daughter-in-law and took the Wild Cave Tour. We enjoyed it immensely. We have visited caves around the world, including some off-the-grid tours and honestly this was the best. Our guide was very sensitive to our abilities and comfort with the various things we did, and once he found that we were up for anything, he tailored the experience for us. This trip goes through some very tight passages and you get very dirty. It probably isn't the trip for the very young or old, or those with mobility problems, but beyond that they can make the time work for most everybody. After the 4 plus hours in the cave, we showered and had a wonderful late lunch on their well kept grounds. We all would go back again, and my son kept saying how much he would love to go with his brothers.

1  Thank Lance P
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Wild Cave tour was terrific! Several hours underground in places I couldn't have dreamed of was the highlight activity of the summer for my almost 18 year old daughter and almost 20 year old son. Personally challenging for mom and dad but Emily and Jordan, our very well prepared guides, made the journey exciting and fun for all of us. After the tour through small places and interesting formations we were welcomed with a hot shower to clean up and a great picnic dinner. This is a tour for those both young and old who are reasonably fit.