“A Don't Miss”

Lost World Caverns
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Lewisburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: One of the most beautiful commercial caves in the eastern U.S. Self-guided walking tours take approximately 45 minutes to an hour. All day Wild Cave Tours are available, for the more adventurous, by reservation only. Largest Rock, Fossil, & Gift Shop in the area. Natural History Museum features local ice age mammals as well as dinosaur exhibits. Picnic Area. Free Parking. Open Daily.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Grew up in that area and went to the caverns frequently. If you are around and piddling about, go and have a look. It's a great place to teach the kids about how great nature is.

1  Thank SHVirginiaBeach

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We made reservations for the Wild Cave Tour, then cancelled them because of fear, then made them again! This was truly a highlight of our vacation which we will talk about for years to come. You can read the other reviews about what to take, how long, how to dress, photos, etc. Our experience was amazing! Steve, the owner/guide and his fellow guides, Emily and Jordan, were far and above the best guides we've ever met. They were first of all, very knowledgeable. Steve has been guiding in this cave for 11-12+ years, and he's seen it all. He allayed our fears and helped us through the caves, the Squeeze, the Drain, the Sewer, the Birth Canal, and every type of experience possible. We accomplished this despite my claustrophobic fears. You have to be fairly physically fit because it is strenuous, lots of climbing, crawling, sliding...What was amazing is that we had such faith in our guides, that we did the whole trek. I feel like it was a survival course that we finished only because we had confidence in Steve and his guides. Mentally, it was challenging. The exciting part was finishing and knowing that we did it! The warm showers and the excellent picnic afterwards were finishing touches on a marvelous day. We are in our late 60s and early 70s, so, yes, we did feel the bumps, bruises, and aches the next day! This is an unforgettable adventure! You have to do it!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Absolutely Wonderful! I did this tour with my 11 & 16 year old boys on May 25th. If you are claustrophobic, please do not do this tour. There are quite a few tights spaces! The tour itself took more than 4 hours. Some of the climbing were very intense, especially on slippery rocks. Even though I am fairly athletic, I got too tired after 3 hours. There was a couple aged 69 years & 72 years who did this tour with me. Seeing their spirit & level of energy I too got very motivated! Now - to talk about the guides - Steve was fantastic! Very knowledgeable & friendly! He was funny & the other two guides were also extremely helpful. They were nice enough to let me step on them if the rocks were too slippery! We finished the tiring tour with a nice lunch. Excellent team out there! Good Job! I had called them several times before booking my flight tickets just to make sure I don't get disappointed. I got more than what I had expected! $70/ person is totally worth it. Would totally recommend this to family with thrill seeking kids.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a little off the beaten path... don't let the faded signage throw you. The caverns are spectacular. The proprieter is friendly and informative. I hope to return for one of their wild caves spelunking tours to see some of the deeper caves.

1  Thank mpowers13
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We took the self-guided tour recently and really enjoyed seeing the different cave formations, the bats, and the bones. Since there was no one else in the cave at the time, we felt free to dawdle and admire the stalagtites and stalagmites. Definitely worth the time!

2  Thank vg007