New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

General Lewis Inn - Jefferson Dining Room
Ranked #5 of 50 Restaurants in Lewisburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We serve contemporary Southern cuisine, in a farm to table format. We believe that excellent food should taste excellent.
Orlando, Florida
“I literally left crying”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

The owner asked my family and I to leave after my two year old cried for about 30 seconds during a timeout. She told me she didn't need out business. We had buried our grandmother earlier that day and I know I was already sensitive but I've never had such a hurtful restaurant experience.

• Visited March 2013
8 Thank Christinesimpkins

Glen Allen, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Treat you like family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Food is fantastic and atmosphere is warm and cozy. All the rooms have beautiful antiques. The staff is outstanding and treat you like family.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Jeannette B
Ronceverte
“Dining at the General Lewis Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

The dining room at the General Lewis Inn has a lovely historic atmosphere. The food is excellent, and the wait staff genuinely polite and very helpful. The food for the Sunday brunch is especially good.. Try the Eggs Benedict, or better yet - Redneck Benedict. You won't be sorry.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank leah123Ronceverte
Orlando, Florida
“Delicious stop on the way to Snowshoe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Delicious and charming place for lunch. We stopped on the way to Snowshoe for a quick skiing trip. It was so good we decided to stop on the way back. Extremely friendly wait staff. The tomato soup, reuben sandwich and cherry cobbler was the best we had ever had. Everyone loved what they had including the hard to please kids. Restaurant is located in an historic Lewisburg bed and breakfast.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank NomadicKat
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Charming Sunday Brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Budget Travel magazine named Lewisburg, WV as the Coolest Small Town in America, and once you visit, I think you may agree. The general Lewis Inn is a particular treasure. My husband and I stayed at the the Inn for our second anniversary many years ago. Our children have heard about it many times, so it was a particular pleasure to take them, along with my sister, nephew, and parents to the Inn for their famous Sunday Brunch. Aside from the extreme charm of the Inn itself, the food is fresh and expertly prepared. I ordered the Eggs Benedict. Slicing into the poached egg, we notice that the yolk was a bright orange color, indicating that it was fresh from cage free hens. (We later learned that the eggs, along with the other ingredients used at the inn, are purchased from local farms whenever possible.) Not only was the color beautiful, but the aroma was amazing, prompting my normally picky teen to request a taste. She liked it as much as I did, so I gave her half of it in exchange for half of her brunch. Hers was baked brie drizzled with honey and topped with pecans, crackers and fresh fruit. My dad ordered the Redneck Benedict, a biscuit halved, and topped with country sausage gravy and fried eggs. All brunch items are accompanied by country potatoes fried with onions. Everything was fresh and so yummy, and the service was excellent. Afterwards we were able to look around the Inn. The hostess at the front desk told us to "feel free to look in any rooms that are open." The rooms are furnished in antiques, but also have private baths and TVs. Be sure to read about the history of the Inn. Two rooms, 206 and 210 are said to be haunted. We will most assuredly return to the Inn.

• Visited October 2013