“Breakfast of champions”

General Lewis Inn - Jefferson Dining Room
Ranked #5 of 52 Restaurants in Lewisburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We serve contemporary Southern cuisine, in a farm to table format. We believe that excellent food should taste excellent.
Roanoke, Virginia
“Breakfast of champions”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I could smell the breakfast being cooked -- onions, biscuits, great coffee -- so I was hungry before I came down stairs. Really good homemade baking powder biscuits, home fries like home. And endless coffee.

Visited September 2013

Warrenton, Virginia
“Tasteful in Every Way”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I had breakfast there twice, and both times, we were treated in a relaxed, friendly, yet efficient way. The food is basically along old southern cooking lines, and just unbelievably good-the feathery biscuits must come down from the sky! The value is extremely high. Chintz table toppers with matching napkins add charm, as well as the garden bouquets in small vases. You'll never find better staff anywhere.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Sunsup605
Cleveland, Texas, United States
“It was okay!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I loved the building and the furnishings. The food was not that great. The service was less then I expected also. No refills were offered on the water or iced tea. The prime rib was dry and overcooked. I was glad I went to experience the old building but would probably not do it again for dinner. I did have a very large group so that may have played a role in the food and service. However, I made reservations a month in advance so it was not a surprise.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Cookie548
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Great service, uninspired food”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The thing that surprised and disappointed me about the food here was the resolute lack of fresh flavor. From the canned peaches in the sauce for the dry pork to the greasy potatoes to the dull spinach, I was struck by how easy it would be able to source better, more local ingredients in a richly agricultural area like Greenbrier County. Other, similarly priced restaurants in town do it. Why not here?

On the bright side, the room is charming and the service is professional and friendly, which always helps.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank DPW67
Michigan
“Good Family Breakfast”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our family of 4 ventured over to the General Lewis Inn from the Greenbrier for a nice Saturday breakfast. We were greeted by the current owner and seated promptly. Our waitress was very nice and friendly - gave us a quick history of the Inn. The food was quite good - grits, b&g, country ham. Nothing overly fancy, but everything was tasty and the service was very good. The Sunday Brunch menu was more extensive than the regular breakfast menu. A nice place to eat if you're staying at the Greenbrier and want to go off-property for a meal.

• Visited July 2013