“Tasteful in Every Way”

General Lewis Inn - Jefferson Dining Room
Ranked #4 of 52 Restaurants in Lewisburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We serve contemporary Southern cuisine, in a farm to table format. We believe that excellent food should taste excellent.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I had breakfast there twice, and both times, we were treated in a relaxed, friendly, yet efficient way. The food is basically along old southern cooking lines, and just unbelievably good-the feathery biscuits must come down from the sky! The value is extremely high. Chintz table toppers with matching napkins add charm, as well as the garden bouquets in small vases. You'll never find better staff anywhere.

2  Thank Sunsup605
There are newer reviews for General Lewis Inn - Jefferson Dining Room

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I loved the building and the furnishings. The food was not that great. The service was less then I expected also. No refills were offered on the water or iced tea. The prime rib was dry and overcooked. I was glad I went to experience the old building but would probably not do it again for dinner. I did have a very large group so that may have played a role in the food and service. However, I made reservations a month in advance so it was not a surprise.

2  Thank Cookie548
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The thing that surprised and disappointed me about the food here was the resolute lack of fresh flavor. From the canned peaches in the sauce for the dry pork to the greasy potatoes to the dull spinach, I was struck by how easy it would be able to source better, more local ingredients in a richly agricultural area like Greenbrier County. Other, similarly priced restaurants in town do it. Why not here?

On the bright side, the room is charming and the service is professional and friendly, which always helps.

1  Thank DPW67
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our family of 4 ventured over to the General Lewis Inn from the Greenbrier for a nice Saturday breakfast. We were greeted by the current owner and seated promptly. Our waitress was very nice and friendly - gave us a quick history of the Inn. The food was quite good - grits, b&g, country ham. Nothing overly fancy, but everything was tasty and the service was very good. The Sunday Brunch menu was more extensive than the regular breakfast menu. A nice place to eat if you're staying at the Greenbrier and want to go off-property for a meal.

1  Thank MarkMichigan
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I were considering staying at this inn however, since other family members already booked at another location, we went with the group. We did come to the General Lewis Inn for lunch. The Inn was very beautiful with historic items to view both inside and out. I asked the front desk if we could see a room after we ate our lunch and she told us that we could walk around and view any room that has the door open. For lunch I had the Philly Cheese Steak special and it was amazing. My family who ate with me had different salads that were very large proportion and were hardy. The service was good and the restaurant was heavily decorated with antiques and war memorabilia. We really enjoyed our lunch. We did view the rooms after we ate and they were very nice. They had a lot of antique furniture and were much different than a standard hotel. I am sad to say that many of the rooms were very small. I suggest that if you stay here to view the rooms first, or ask to choose your room once you arrive. Some of the rooms have the sinks and vanity in the room rather than in the bathroom. If you don't mind the tight spaces, I would definitely recommend you check it out.

1  Thank Sue P