“Fun for all”

Adventures on the Gorge
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Lansing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A world-class adventure resort located on the rim of the New River Gorge in West Virginia-offering activities, lodging, and dining.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun for all”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My sister planned a destination wedding at Adventures on the Gorge and our family spent a week enjoying the adventures including upper and lower New River rafting, Gravity Zipline, Summerville Lake kayak and paddle board. We enjoyed every activity and with 70+ friends and family included in the weeks festivities there was something for everyone. We stayed in the cabins and had family and friends staying the various cabin and camping options and they all agreed that the vacation was wonderful!
My sister planned her ceremony on the deck behind Smokey's and the reception was also outside of Smokey's under a tent and the wedding coordinator from Adventures On the Gorge,Jessica Campbell made sure the day was perfect. She was there for every second of the wedding and reception. The food, service and atmosphere made my sister's "dream wedding" a reality!

Burke, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Awesome White Water Rafting Trip”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed in one of the deluxe model rooms for a few days at the end of June, luckily another couple joined us which made the cost not too ridiculous. The room was clean and had plenty of room with a king bed in the downstairs room and two singles and a queen in the upstairs loft bedroom. The hot tub on the deck was great, the water was clean, did not smell of chemicals and was very hot. There was a campfire pit outside but in June it was not something we wanted to do. There was cell coverage for Verizon and AT&T, maybe other carriers as well but that is what we had. The only complaint about the room was that it advertised wireless internet and it did not work for the 3 days that we stayed, that really was a bother to the kids and could have been a big problem if we had some work to catch up on.
The rafting trip was great. Our trip leader (Doug) was very experienced, knowledgeable about the river, the history of the area and also had a million jokes. There is a picnic lunch with a variety of food and more than enough to stuff yourself if you choose but remember there are no bathrooms for the entire trip. If you have a waterproof camera, bring it, there are many great pictures to take. You will get wet though so make sure it is waterproof. The bus ride to the launching sight took about 40 minutes but the ride back at the end of the day took about 15. Cold drinks, including beer was served on the bus ride back. There are several nice restaurants on sight. The all you can eat buffet restaurant has very limited choices. The pool is nice but is pretty small.

Wayne, Michigan, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“gravity zipline tours”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

my father and I did this a couple times now everytime is a great experience only thing I would recommend is to limit the number of people in a group to a smaller number since the zips are so long you can wait up to 10 minutes with 8 people in a group to get across to the other side.

Visited July 2013
Washington, DC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“SO impressed!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Adventures on the Gorge has a ridiculous number of options to choose from, and especially if you pick the camping option, it's a very affordable vacation (about $370 per person, and that included lodging, most meals, the Gravity Zipline, and the New River Whitewater Rafting). I didn't do any of the booking, but my friend who did said that that process was very easy. I really didn't know what to expect going into this, but I can't wait to go back sometime.

First--the guides and employees of AOTG are quite a cast of characters, and they're all WONDERFUL. We had Graham (a fast-talking, tobacco-chewing outdoor enthusiast from Virginia Beach) for our whitewater trip. He knew every single inch of the river, and he was fun, funny, and really helpful, especially when I fell out of the raft...(as much as they walk you through safety precautions, it's easy to forget all of that when you suddenly find yourself ripping downstream in the middle of a rapid). Guido, one of the other guides, was in charge of our friends' raft, and he had a really snarky sense of humor--crude and hilarious. When you spend 4+ hours with a guide, you want them to be good, and these guys really were.

The Gravity Zipline was led by Gypsy and Jaron. I signed up because my friends did, but I have had a life-long paralyzing fear of heights and was dreading the experience for 2 days beforehand. After the practice 500-foot zipline, I was about to wimp out when Gypsy took me up to show me exactly how the 1800-foot zipline (!) worked. While I knew I was being kind of high-maintenance, he wasn't judgmental in the least, and he answered all of my questions, even the ridiculous ones. The experience was AMAZING--seriously--it was a rush like nothing I've ever experienced. Both guides were extremely capable (they literally catch you at the end), friendly, and again, funny. You really don't have to do any work. It takes a lot to send me flying 60 mph over a canyon, and I'm so glad I took the risk. Although we had paid everything up front, we tipped all of our guides.

This is all to say nothing of the bus drivers, who were also awesome (and were comfortable climbing up tiny West Virginia mountain roads in a schoolbus--yikes). Props.

Second--the restaurants! We weren't expecting much, but boy, were we wrong. Breakfast at Tallie's consisted of huge pancakes, the dinner buffet at Smokey's was gigantic, included salad, entrees (amazing mac and cheese!), and dessert (did someone say raspberry cheesecake??), and Tallie's dinner was amazing, large pizzas with really excellent wine!

I was perhaps most impressed with the lunch we were given on the rafting trip--we all expected PB&Js in a bag, but the guides surprised us by laying out a veritable feast, including chips and homemade cheese dip, the fixings for turkey or peanut butter sandwiches, macaroni salad, shrimp salad, strawberries, carrots, and apple cobbler. Also--I'm a vegetarian, and there were PLENTY of options for me.

The facilities were all clean (including the bathrooms, which was really impressive), all of the managers were very accommodating, and it was just a really nice experience overall. I wasn't expecting anything quite this...hmm...ritzy? in the woods of West Virginia. While I would have been perfectly happy 'roughing it' and eating veggie dogs over the fire all weekend, the facilities were a nice surprise. This place is perfect for groups of friends, families, or solo folks who just want to try something new.

I want to go back and try rafting the Gauley River!

2 Thank violynne88
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“We had a blast!!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I took a day trip to AOTG to go whitewater rafting. We had such a great time, and Steve, our guide, was so much fun. Not only was he great at guiding the raft and providing clear instructions on rowing, but was very knowledgeable about the history of the area as well.

All of the staff that we encountered were very friendly and knowledgeable. We hope to make another trip in the fall and spend more time exploring everything that AOTG has to offer.

1 Thank Bwhod