“Always a great time!”

Adventures on the Gorge
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Lansing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A world-class adventure resort located on the rim of the New River Gorge in West Virginia-offering activities, lodging, and dining.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I think i'm addicted to this place. Four of us stayed in the Sportsman Cabins and it was perfect! Denny was our guide and a local. Had a great time on the New River and memorable when he lost his oar on a class IV rapid. I will keep coming back!

1  Thank Darwin783

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My family and I just got back from a full day trip on the New River. It was chillier than we had hoped, but well worth the trip. We upgraded to the smaller boat and enjoyed the extra excitement this offered us. Mike was an awesome guide...very knowledgeable about the river and capable of instructing a boat full of novices. He gave as quite the ride as he guided us through the rapids. I believe he gave us the best possible experience of the rapids on the New River. It helps to listen and follow directions. The guides will only give you the ride they think your group can handle. We hope to go back this fall and raft the lower Gauley with his help. If we did the New River in the Spring again, I wouldn't do the full day trip. All the action is in the second half of the trip. I would recommend the full day to those who go in the summer and want to play around in the water before you get to the good stuff. We stayed in the Breezy Hill Cottage. It was quaint and met our needs. We were able to take our dogs with us to this cabin. I wouldn't say the cabin was super nice, but I also wouldn't expect that from a dog friendly cabin. It had everything we needed for cooking, a fire pit, and a hot tub. We slept 7 there comfortably. Service was awesome from all staff. Thanks so much!!

1  Thank tjkaiser11
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife & I visited last weekend and found this to be an awesome experience. We did the Tree Tops Canopy Tour and had a great time. Excellent staff and the small group (6) made this a time to remember. We will be back to try other adventures.

1  Thank Keith S
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our family of six went rafting in March 2013. The year before, the weather was a balmy 83 F. For us, the weather was an almost intolerable 29 F. I am not overly interested in reviewing the nice facilities, but more in what we should have realized on our own or have been told (perhaps in the long email that covered the trip nonrefundable policies).

If the weather is warm, then the following are just tips/thoughts that you might consider, but if it is cold, please read carefully.

1. Place a change of clothes, extra shoes, toiletries, and towels into the lockers in the changing room before you leave to go rafting. If the weather is cold, you will be overjoyed not to have to trek to your car before hitting the showers. There are no towels available save at $13.99 a piece in the gift shop.

2. Obviously, gift shops exist to extort money from you, but organization and thought would have been welcomed (ie a complete package of fleece socks, gloves, and sweatshirt) . Think ahead of time and consider how deep your commitment is to rafting. We had some people in our raft come with their own wet-suit, water boots, fleece socks, etc.

3. Some people on our raft had fleece gloves and socks, They thought the socks were worth the cost, but the gloves were nearly useless against the cold.

4.. There are only 6-8 showers in the men's changing rooms. On our trip, there were many more men than women so my husband just couldn't wait for a shower after 25 minutes and just changed.

5. The service was wonderful, Be prepared with cash to tip just about everyone because their tipping policy is "tipping is never expected, but always appreciated". I got a bit confused sometimes because we interacted with a bus driver, a guide leader who gave instructions, and another guide who actually took us rafting. Tipping one person who tips out others may have been more convenient, but we were instructed to tip our guide personally.

6. There are free activities available around the area and cheaper lodging options if you want to piece together a vacation with their activities but minus the all inclusive price tag of this resort. Although the restrooms are heated, the camp ground itself is already too pricey so we never looked at the cabins.

6  Thank trangphan
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We visited Adventures on the Gorge last weekend and experienced the Timber Trek Aerial Park as part of a business comference my husband was attending in WV. Our family includes me, my husband (both 44), a 15 year old daughter and a 12 year old daughter. After thorough instruction in how to use the equipment (which kept us attached to a safety cable at all times), we headed up to the first platform. My older daughter realized at that time that maybe this wasn't such a great idea, but she completed three obstacles before deciding she couldn't go any further. The staff knew exactly what to do, and brought out a ladder to bring her safely to the ground. The rest of us completed the remaining obstacles on the first course and ziplined to the ground. My younger daughter really enjoyed it and headed for the more challenging course along with the rest of our group. My husband and I aren't crazy about heights but we were having fun, so we began another less challenging course. I completed two of the obstacles when my legs started to wobble and I realized I should have basked in the glory of my earlier achievement and called it a day. The young man who was supervising talked to me calmly and reassuringly as I inched my way backwards to the starting platform. With his support, I made it back to solid ground without panicking. My husband finished the course and was thrilled with his accomplishment. Even with our "rescues," we all had a great time and felt safe with the equipment and well trained staff. One of the younger members of our group reached his limit at a very high platform, and the staff easily lowered him on a pulley rope back to the ground. This activity is probably not something we would have planned on our own, but it was certainly an adventure that we're glad we tried! After our tree climbing, we enjoyed a delicious lunch at their pavilion near the gorge. The only negative part of the day was when I headed for home relying on my GPS. The roads were very narrow (one lane wide for two way traffic) winding up and down various mountains without guardrails. I continuously lost the GPS signal and drove with white knuckles for about an hour before reaching the interstate. This was more of an adventure that the Timber Trek!

4  Thank Keegan4