Opossum Creek Retreat Cabin Rentals
Quality Inn New River(Fayetteville)(Great Value!)
$90
$94
$117
$109
Hampton.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 18, 2010

To be perfectly honest, when we first walked into our cabin (Over the Hill) we were disappointed. The cabin was clean, but very old, and very small (especially considering the price). The grounds were amazing (in the middle of the woods).... and it was close to all of the activities the new river gorge area has to offer.

Good: Location, grounds (unbelievably scenic). hot tub was clean and inviting, fresh cookies were waiting for us upon arrival (along with souvenir drinking glasses, and key-chain flash lights).

Bad: WiFi was nearly useless... only worked on rare occasion... and when it did, it made old dial-up seem fast by comparison. The cabin was small, and the appliances all looked like they were at least 15 years old (kinda low-brow for the price IMHO).

Other: Would have been hard to find but not for the map they send you (your GPS and Mapquest and/or Google maps will get you lost). Requested pics of the cabin several times before arriving (never got them)... I think I know why now (it's not very impressive on the inside... the ones w/inside pics provided on the website look nicer inside). Free common laundry was provided (2 small stacked machines)... which is better than nothing... but many cabins offer washer/dryer in the units. By comparison to other lodging options I suppose this one is OK (lots of older looking cabins, or lower-end motels)... maybe the bigger cabins are more nicely appointed (they seem to get great reviews)?

I had a hard time deciding whether to give this a thumbs up or down, in the end we had a good time so I give it a very lukewarm thumbs up.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank grram1
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Buddy's and I stayed at El Gordo. Eight of us total for a bachelor party. Good enough amount of room for all of us. The owner supplied us with a map to get to the cabin and we found it, even in the dark on our ride into town. He even made us cookies! The cabin was stocked with everything we needed to cook our own food and it was centrally located for all of our activities. Between climbing, rafting and hitting Summersville lake as well as the restaurants in Fayetteville, we were within 20 minutes of everything. Would absolutely recommend to anyone looking for a great spot to vacation.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I stayed at the largest cabin - the Meadows, with a group of 16 a few weeks ago. The cabin is fantastic, with a very large common area, and enormous grounds. It was very well maintained, and had a new feel to it. The bunkbeds weren't so ideal for the adults, but it wasn't a huge deal. Overall, it represented a great value, and I recommend it highly.

The reason for the half star deduction is the poor communication prior to our visit. I often had to leave several messages before hearing back a few days later. Additionally, we did not receive directions (nor are they on the website), so we used google maps, which led us to the wrong place. We drove for nearly 2 hours at 3 am trying to find the place -- my group was NOT happy.
To be fair, when we locked ourselves out one night, the owner was terrific and came by quickly to open up the door for us.

To sum up - a wonderful time -- just be sure to get proper directions before coming.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank amk212
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed there over July 4 weekend, and I would definitely stay there again. The cabins are really nice. Each cabin has a private hot tub on a screened in porch, and that was really great. The kitchen is fully stocked with plates, pots, pans, etc, so we were able to save a lot of money by cooking our own food. The setting is extremely peaceful and quiet - in the woods.

The only issue we had, was that the wireless internet service was sometimes very slow and sometimes even we could not connect at all. But, we didn't come out to the woods to sit online and surf the net, so that wasn't a big deal. Actually it was kind of a relief.

Since you are renting a cabin and not staying in a hotel room, there was no housekeeping service. They provided plenty of towels, but if you think you might need extra towels. I would talk to them in advance about how to arrange that.

Altogether it was a wonderful stay and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends